NAV Canada Montreal FIR - Bilingual Requirement

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

j613
Rank 0
Rank 0

NAV Canada Montreal FIR - Bilingual Requirement

Post by j613 »

To those in Montreal FIR - What level of French is required to be considered? On that same note, what level of French is required to be a proficient controller?

I understand the interview is bilingual and there is French testing as well. Are they looking for perfect French or enough to get the job done?

Asking because I can speak enough French to keep a conversation going (get the point across) but my grammar is far from perfect.

Thanks in advance for any information!
---------- ADS -----------

Say Again, Over!
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: NAV Canada Montreal FIR - Bilingual Requirement

Post by Say Again, Over! »

J613,
You need to ba able to converse easily in French. Your grammar need not be perfect but you need to be able to understand a pilot whose radio and phraseology might not be perfect either. You also need to be able to get your point across to a pilot in French beyond simple ATC instructions.

Good luck,

Felix
YUL ACC

Felix
YUL ACC
QB & OW TCU
sflyte
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sflyte »

I contacted Nav Canada's recruitment centre, and they told me that we have the option of doing the assessment test in English or French.

I am good at French, but not eloquent. I'm wondering whether the recruiters would accept this and still consider us.

What language is used most of the time at the ACC in Montreal?

sflyte
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sflyte »

I can answer this question now after having attended the assessment session.

The phone interview will be conducted in the language of your choice. Let's assume the language of your choice is English. After the phone interview, they will schedule a second phone interview -- the French language evaluation phone interview. If you pass the French language evaluation phone interview, you will move on to the final stage, which is the in-person interview. If you fail the French language evaluation phone interview, you will have one of three options to choose from:

1) Drop out of the selection process altogether
2) Successfully complete a French language program (up to a certain level) at a school and then re-do the French language evaluation phone interview
3) Choose a different (English) Flight Information Region in Canada, in which case they will change your FIR to the FIR of your choice (which means you will do the in-person interview in the FIR of your choice)

I hope this helps you guys in your planning.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”