YEG Applications process

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YEG Applications process

Post by babyboy_legolas »

I was invited today for the Edmonton session on Feb 21st!!! I'm very thrilled, i did my cognitive test on january 16th so to be honest I'm a little surprised with the fast response. This is my second chance, last year i did also my COgnitive and passed it by honestly I didn't do my best. I didn't know how the test was, I clicked the button and the time started to run, i was there with like 5 people in my house, a complete chaos, I ended up running to another room to finish the exam.
This year, i went to an individual space and make it quiet and alone. I really felt confident about the results on the cognitive.

Can anybody give me an idea about the components of the assestment session? I know it has the WSIM part (really basic graph and math) but I wanted to know a little bit more about the rest.
---------- ADS -----------

yegmagpie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegmagpie »

I was invited for the 20th and initially cancelled because I was going to be out of town, but they were able to re-slot me in for the 22nd.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

I'm in on the 22nd as well. Good luck guys!

TGSky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TGSky »

Congrats to you all! To answer the questions few posts up. The test will assess you on many different areas. When I did it there were 8 tests total but it may be different now. Mental math, spatial reasoning, active listening, pattern recognition, and more I can't remember.

The tests are designed so that you probably won't have time to finish all of them in time. Don't let that throw you off. The active listening test will deduct points for incorrect answers. Keep your eyes on your paper, if it even looks like you're trying to cheat you'll be shown the door.

There's not much you can do to prepare, except to study the info on the W-sim. Get a solid night of sleep, drink your coffee, smoke your cigarette, or whatever you have to do to be alert and sharp.

MeGustaArroz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeGustaArroz »

Figured I would share my yeg application timeline here. 

Online application: Aug 26 2016
Online application green light: Aug 27 2016 
In person assessment: (I missed an invite for December, so I ended up getting an invite for May 17 2017)
In person assessment results: May 29 2017
Phone interview: June 17 2017 
Phone interview results: June 19 2017 
In person interview: Feb 21 2018
In person interview results: (still refreshing take charge page every hour to find out lol)

That's my timeline anyways, I'm Hoping for IFR or VFR. I know a 20 year VFR controller personally and he loves the job. If this application doesn't work out this time I'll try getting a reference from him next time. If any one is in the application process with a question feel free to ask!

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

Laaate to the party, but here's mine.

FIR : YEG
Preference order (FSS,VFR,IFR): VFR, FSS, IFR
Online Application Date: Mar. 5, 2017
In person assessment invitation date: Apr 11, 2017
In person assessment: May 16, 2017
In person assessment result: May, 29 2017
Phone Interview invite: June 9, 2017
Phone Interview: June 16, 2017
Phone Interview results : June 19, 2017 (That was quick!)
In person interview invite: Feb. 22, 2018
In person Interview: Feb. 28, 2018
In person results:

Fulltankfreedom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fulltankfreedom »

There’s a recent article NAV Can released on how they need to hire more woman and minorities. So if you are neither good luck. After a year of being a successful candidate in the pool I’ve decided to pull my position. They’re just another bullshit politically correct employer. @#$! em.

Atc14222
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Atc14222 »

Fulltankfreedom wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 am There’s a recent article NAV Can released on how they need to hire more woman and minorities. So if you are neither good luck. After a year of being a successful candidate in the pool I’ve decided to pull my position. They’re just another bullshit politically correct employer. @#$! em.
The last 4 courses have only been 30% or less females, mostly filled by white males. So no, if you aren’t female or a minority you still have a very good chance of being placed on a course, pending your ranking. So if you have not been placed on a course it is because of your ranking, not your gender or ethnicity.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Fulltankfreedom wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 am There’s a recent article NAV Can released on how they need to hire more woman and minorities. So if you are neither good luck. After a year of being a successful candidate in the pool I’ve decided to pull my position. They’re just another bullshit politically correct employer. @#$! em.
The overwhelming majority of people who make it to a course of some sort are white male. If you have sat in the pool for a year as a "successful" candidate it is because there have always been people more "successful" than you (white, black, female, martian). Are you suggesting that you have been refused admission to a course based on the white and male thing? That you were highly ranked and still didn't get a spot? If you think for a second that Nav Canada will pass over someone who they feel would otherwise be successful, solely because they are a white male, you are delusional. Staffing is a huge deal right now. They pick the best people available in the pool at the time of course staffing.

Sounds more like sour grapes to me.

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

kevenv wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:28 pm The overwhelming majority of people who make it to a course of some sort are white male. If you have sat in the pool for a year as a "successful" candidate it is because there have always been people more "successful" than you (white, black, female, martian). Are you suggesting that you have been refused admission to a course based on the white and male thing? That you were highly ranked and still didn't get a spot? If you think for a second that Nav Canada will pass over someone who they feel would otherwise be successful, solely because they are a white male, you are delusional. Staffing is a huge deal right now. They pick the best people available in the pool at the time of course staffing.

Sounds more like sour grapes to me.
I have no idea what the courses are like, but when a large percentage of people at the in-person assessment (At least in mine) are white males (out of 20-some odd people total, there were 2-3 females, and 5-6 minorities, puts it at about 60-70% white males), it's difficult to not hire white males.

Even if EVERYONE in the assessment made it through, they are still likely to have more white males than not during the interview phases.

I would think that NavCanada would hire the best people available for the job, much less to do with females or minorities.

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Results came from the YEG sessions!! Another hurdle went through. Now waiting for the call for the first interview!!!

Fulltankfreedom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fulltankfreedom »

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect that. All I’m saying Is that NAV Can is pushing their asinine liberal agenda.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Thought I would chime in.

Im a straight white male, streamed IFR in fall of 2016... got a stand-by VFR offer last year that didn't result in anything. I am quite bitter about the process and the lack of results they have given especially when I know of people that streamed lower (streamed VFR) but still got offers. I know there was 2 females in my assessment session, and to my knowledge one of them is currently in training.

That said, the online IQ test does not differ based on gender, you still need certain scores and while being a female or a minority may give you a slight advantage in receiving offers, there is no way NavCan, despite how I feel about their process, would take a weaker applicant just because of their gender or race over a stronger one.

I would love to blame my lack of offer on affirmative action (hiring minorities) but at the end of the day, I am responsible for my scores/results, and if I do not get an offer, it is only because I evidently didn't score high enough and having a fit about the "liberal agenda" real or otherwise won't solve it. I still believe their hiring process is very flawed and unfair, but so is life. I've already given up (still eligible until summer 2018) and I doubt, I will ever try again after this second attempt, being pooled IFR and not getting offers.

Best of luck to the rest of you though

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
KME86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KME86 »

Hey guys!

I was just looking to see if anyone would have some insight on this situation.
I had been invited to an assessment on Feb 21 but I had to asked to be rescheduled since I currently am a flight attendant for an airline and I was on a pairing from the 20-22 of Feb.

Did I hurt my chances to get a call back?

My one year window expires this year in October - but I am just kicking myself if I ruined this opportunity.

Thanks in advance!

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

tough to say really - kind of depends on if they are planning another in-person assessment for YEG this year.

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is there someone else who has received the green light from the sessions? have you received the call for the phone interview yet?

yegmagpie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegmagpie »

I have been greenlit but not contacted for interview yet - believe the status page says it could take several weeks.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

same for me - green light but no call yet

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

Give it a few weeks, hopefully you were ranked high enough in the assessment to be one of the first people to get a phone call.

When I got the phone interview (this was back in June mind you) the interviewer on the other side was from Winnipeg, he said that the YEG FIR actually needed help from outside the province to do phone interviews because of how many of us there were. There may have been quite a few of you that made it through and just organizing how best to contact all of you.

Atc14222
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Atc14222 »

outflying8 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 am Thought I would chime in.

Im a straight white male, streamed IFR in fall of 2016... got a stand-by VFR offer last year that didn't result in anything. I am quite bitter about the process and the lack of results they have given especially when I know of people that streamed lower (streamed VFR) but still got offers. I know there was 2 females in my assessment session, and to my knowledge one of them is currently in training.

That said, the online IQ test does not differ based on gender, you still need certain scores and while being a female or a minority may give you a slight advantage in receiving offers, there is no way NavCan, despite how I feel about their process, would take a weaker applicant just because of their gender or race over a stronger one.

I would love to blame my lack of offer on affirmative action (hiring minorities) but at the end of the day, I am responsible for my scores/results, and if I do not get an offer, it is only because I evidently didn't score high enough and having a fit about the "liberal agenda" real or otherwise won't solve it. I still believe their hiring process is very flawed and unfair, but so is life. I've already given up (still eligible until summer 2018) and I doubt, I will ever try again after this second attempt, being pooled IFR and not getting offers.

Best of luck to the rest of you though

Don’t give up! Honestly, keep trying. Keep a job and don’t put all your eggs in the nav can basket but keep applying. I promise you it’s worth it! Dont give up hope.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”