How old is too old?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

How old is too old?

Post by evilgravy »

Like the title says... just curious to hear some thoughts on this... A bit of history, I was placed on an IFR course here in YEG, and for various reasons, decided on a different path. Needless to say, the thoughts and wonders of 'what if' haven't really gone away. So, now, at 41 I'm wondering if I should take another shot... any input would be appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How old is too old?

Post by rspencer38 »

I'm currently on the job with a 40 year old. He isn't having any issues and is doing just fine.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

I licensed at 37, and have been on the job for a few years now.

The most important things are that you have the financial means to survive through your training, and the time necessary to put into studying, etc... without other "real life" constraints (kids, family, etc...) getting in the way. And only you can make those determinations.

The age itself shouldn't be a factor as long as you can establish good study habits that you may not have used in many years.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the posts. No at-home issues, in fact my wife is basically pushing me to give it another go. :)

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Usually the problem with "older" people is related to their own personal lives. I must admit there are some specialties where younger people seem to fair better but this is not based on statistics just personal feelings. Go for it, why not? Some controllers are there well into their 60's so I'd say 41 is still young! Also if they give you an offer they see potential and don't want to wast their time (or yours).

yegadjacent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegadjacent »

Hey evilgravy!

I'm 40 and just got the green light after the first round interview. Of everything that is to be considered going into the training (IFR hopefully) the only thing that I have even considered being a detriment is my age. Then I remember that my age is likely what will give me the opportunity to be successful. Like you, I have a very supportive wife. I am mortgage and debt free. My youngest child will graduate high school in 2018 and my oldest starts post secondary this fall. My wife makes more than enough to support our current lifestyle, a lifestyle which is useless to me as I plan on spending every waking hour dedicated to the training. Not to mention the life experience you and I have as well as what I see as vague similarities in the ATC profession and my current career that will make certain aspects of the training a little easier to absorb.

I hope you come back ASAP! As interesting as it will be (hopefully) to work along side students who are 10 to 15 years younger than me, it would be nice to have another geezer around to complain about the youth of today.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

hey all,

so, I pulled the trigger and reapplied today. Unfortunately my position being eliminated at my old company forced my hand a little, but the fact that the thoughts never really went away after going through the first time really sealed the deal. I appreciate the insight from you all, and I hope to see you soon either on a course or OJT!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”