[deleted]

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kjs
Rank 0
Rank 0

[deleted]

Post by Kjs »

[deleted]
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Kjs on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeltaTug4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IFR and VFR ATC's - tell me what you like and don't like about it!

Post by DeltaTug4 »

Was offered both IFR and VFR recently and chose VFR. Real marginal decision honestly as I was elated with either one. I guess the differentiating factor probably was the little kid in me wanting to see the planes day in and day out. That cool factor you can't put a price on haha.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

I could give you the pros and cons to both but it doesn't matter because it a very personal thing. What one person likes about one- another person will like about the other.

In the end you got in and after you qualify (and wait your mandatory waiting time) you can bid to go IFR. Then, and only then, can you decide which one YOU like the best and find a spot to spend the rest of your career.

Congrats on getting in, do not worry at all about the fact that you are starting VFR!

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

VFR pros:
-higher initial success rate on average
-generally lower house prices in the places you could work
-windows

IFR pros:
-higher pay, except compared to the major ATC-6 towers (this is offset by higher house prices)
-you know where you will work right from the start, no chance of a "remote" location

As for the day to day, when you boil it down they're both essentially the same job. Each has different separation standards but there's only so many ways to separate two aircraft.

I would've accepted either but I'm glad I was offered VFR. From what I can gather, most VFR students were streamed eligible for IFR.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

I'm VFR and love it. I was originally streamed IFR but was then offered a VFR course and snapped it up.
Personally I always wanted VFR, but would have taken whatever Nav Canada offered me.

I love being at an actual airport. Seeing the planes out the window and smelling the kerosene!
As others have alluded to, it's all a personal preference. I don't for one second regret my choice.
My advice would be to keep and open mind and enjoy whichever stream you train in.
(PS: don't tell your VFR instructors you're butt-hurt to be there and not IFR. It probably won't go down well...)

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”