Wind direction/speed in wsim practice questions

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jacqueen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wind direction/speed in wsim practice questions

Post by jacqueen »

I'm wondering if anyone knows when we need to take into account wind direction and wind speed to get the answers for the scenario questions?

I've attempted the wsim practice questions and it didn't seem like I needed to take wind direction/speed into account to get the correct answer. All I did was assume the actual speed (not planned speed) remained constant throughout the planned flight route. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

rcminvcr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Wind direction/speed in wsim practice questions

Post by rcminvcr »

Just received access to the WSim as well and didn't need it either for the questions at the end.

It's important to know how to interpret wind data as a reporting tool for approaches and departures. METAR requests will also include wind data, so knowing how to read those will be important. Not having done ATC before though, I'm hoping someone will be able to elaborate.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

I don't remember the WSim that well, but I know that when I look at the radar, it gives me the ground speed. Does the WSim indicate ground speed?

I seem to recall that compensating for wind, or converting Nautical Miles to Statute Miles was unnecessary also. I think it's multiple choice, so if you do some rough math, you'll often get close enough to see the correct answer. The "magic" if there is any, is in guessing the distances.

Disclaimer: I wrote the WSim a 4+ years ago ago, it may have changed since.

Good luck!

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by babyboy_legolas »

There is no guessing on the distances, what you should do is in a piece of paper copy the scale and use to measure the distance on the radar. The W-SIM is very superficial, but at the end you would be ending using the wind speed for some exercises. Like the W-SIM says, the first and most easy check is altitude and speed; in some case if they are similar you need to use the wind speed to obtain a more accurate result.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”