2018 Application Inquiries

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

2018 Application Inquiries

Post by silverskies »

Hi! So I completed my online test back on March 2nd, 2018 and I'm applying from Ottawa. While applying, I saw that there were two assessment dates already posted for (I think) Edmonton and somewhere else? But I was already too late.

I haven't seen any other dates posted since then. Now I know that just because I passed the cognitive ability test, doesn't mean I'm guaranteed a spot and from what I've read, the process itself can take up to and even more than two years. I had sent an email a couple of weeks later asking about a timeline but also telling them I would be open to relocating if a spot in another region opened up. I got a cryptic reply about how they'll post the dates when they're set but nothing confirming that I could apply for a different area.

One of my questions is, do you only receive an invite to the region your applying from? How do I go about changing that if they didn't catch that from my email?

Also, do I still have a shot for this year? I know it's early, but this process is so long, historically, does anyone have an idea about the upcoming sessions?

Last question, I already have a category 1 medical. Will they need me to redo it?

Please let me know!
---------- ADS -----------

Ryan92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 2018 Application Inquiries

Post by Ryan92 »

You only get invited to the region you applied in. Telling recruiting you would take another region won't do anything, they don't make those decisions. From my understanding you can tell them in your interview you would be willing to go to another region and they may take that into consideration, but you wont know where you are going. I've also been told, by recruiting at my assessment, once you apply for a region you can't change it.

Do you have a shot for this year. 99.99% no. A year from today, could happen depending on when assessment sessions and Interviews happen. I first applied in YWG July 2017, a week before an assessment session, from my experience I was too late for that one as invites would have been sent out already. The next assessment was February 2018. It took that long just for YWG to have another assessment.

There are some people on here from the YWG July 2017 assessment I mentioned that just got into training recently, from what they have posted.

Again this is just what I know from my experience, talking to Joanne, and reading posts on here.

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

To answer your medical question, no you don't need to redo it as long as it is less than 2 years from the exam date if you are under 40 and one year if over forty. Normally most ATC hold a class 2 but a class 1 meets the requirements and the validity period is according to the chart in the back of the ADB. Having said that, recruiting might tell you to get a class 2, which you should be able to do with a call to Transport Canada Licencing.

To answer your other questions about timing... it depends. Training across the country is running at pretty much max capacity at the moment but it's a system and it's not perfect put it's the best one we've got at the moment.

If you take the IFR stream for example it's no good to take 10 students off the street for Generic if you aren't going to have a specialty course available for them at the end of Generic, and you can't run those same 10 through specialty course if you aren't going to have OJI's for them when they are done. Generic is generally the shortest portion of the IFR stream so it may seem from the outside that we could be running more courses but in reality everywhere is running pretty much at capacity.

Good Luck

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by silverskies »

Thanks tower controller and Ryan92! I understand it's a bit of a process, but the wait is painful!

Cheers,

Gabzo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gabzo »

don't take this but you barely started waiting. There is a lot more waiting to do :)

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by silverskies »

Now that's just depressing -_- Buuuuut I get it. :)

rcminvcr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rcminvcr »

So rather than starting a new topic I'll just expand/add to this one. I apologize for anyone already posting in this one that this question may derail the original question.

Understanding that sending an e-mail to atscareers to ask about working in any region may not lead to an invite outside of your region, I was wondering what the rules are about making more than 1 application? I have immediate family in 3 regions and would be able to write tests/interviews in each and I'm not picky about which I work in. Would I be able to take the online assessment 3 times (1 for each region) and accept the earliest in-person assessment (if invited/passed/green-lighted etc.) to speed up the process?

I would assume the answer is no. But I was wondering if anyone knew of an actual rule or reference against it?

Thank you!

-KB

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

Your assumption is likely correct. If you look at the website, it says:

"When you apply, you apply to one of seven flight information regions. You can choose to apply to a region other than the one in which you reside, however all testing and interviews will take place in that region, followed by training and placement."

At some point in the process, you must have agreed to something that states you will only make one application and the system probably knows about duplicate applications as well... otherwise, what is stopping anyone from applying until they score high enough to get invited to a written assessment?

fawkes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fawkes »

rcminvcr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm So rather than starting a new topic I'll just expand/add to this one. I apologize for anyone already posting in this one that this question may derail the original question.

Understanding that sending an e-mail to atscareers to ask about working in any region may not lead to an invite outside of your region, I was wondering what the rules are about making more than 1 application? I have immediate family in 3 regions and would be able to write tests/interviews in each and I'm not picky about which I work in. Would I be able to take the online assessment 3 times (1 for each region) and accept the earliest in-person assessment (if invited/passed/green-lighted etc.) to speed up the process?

I would assume the answer is no. But I was wondering if anyone knew of an actual rule or reference against it?

Thank you!

-KB
Your application can only be active in one region. I initially applied in the YWG region and did my in-person assessment in Winnipeg. I ultimately wanted to get into YEG and was told that I can get my application transferred, no negative impact whatsoever, but that will be the only region where my application is active.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”