Reading list for an ab initio applicant to try and get ahead?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Reading list for an ab initio applicant to try and get ahead?

Post by opera »

Just passed the online testing, I know nothing is guaranteed but would like to start reading in case I got accepted to the programme. I thought I should look at NOTAMS Procedures, Air Traffic Designators, ATSAMM, MATs, CARs, Aeronautics Act, MANAB and MANOPS. Also saw a tip to read "From the Ground Up". Any other pointers or recommended reading sincerely appreciated! And if you're in the process as well, best wishes. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Reading list for an ab initio applicant to try and get ahead?

Post by Ssauvage87 »

It's highly recommended to NOT READ AHEAD. This was told to me by a course instructor at YYZ FIR. it's along the lines of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". If you "learn" things in the wrong order or without the accompanying lesson or in their specific way of learning you will be at a severe disadvantage. He said people have failed out of training because they couldn't be retaught the proper way.

opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks, yeah also got a PM saying the same thing. The training selects the most relevant sections of these resources, overkill and counter-productive to read ahead.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

You’re too early in the process to read anything at all, but if you’re so inclined to do something, reading From the Ground Up will not hurt you. Doing that having just passed the online testing is too early; I’d say it’s more of a thing to do after you pass the in-person interview and get streamed something.

Nothing will make sense unless you have a background as to why certain things are done. Having an understanding of rules and regulations will not give you much of an edge, if at all, in a highly aptitude-based recruitment process. It is much better to enter as a clean slate.

Save your energy for studying when you get a course. You’ll need every ounce of it.

Last edited by stabilizedapproach on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
opera
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by opera »

Thanks!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”