Question about placement

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dxper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question about placement

Post by dxper »

Hey everyone,
Once you've completed the assessments and you've been notified of your stream, do you also find out where NavCananda wants to send you, or is that only once you've completed theoretical training and are about to hit OJT?
---------- ADS -----------

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Question about placement

Post by Ssauvage87 »

from what i know, youve got it about right yes. operational needs can change quickly and unpredictably sometimes so for VFR/FSS i dont think you know until ready for OJT.

IFR however, you will know by default right from a training offer that you will always be working out of that particular ACC from day 1 of training.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Question about placement

Post by Lotro »

VFR

You will find out your placement once your basic course is complete. Sometimes, when you start your course, the instructors will have an idea where everyone is going, but not who is going where. I.e. There are 6 people on the course 2 are going to tower X, 2 to tower Y etc.

In the Toronto (and YWG?) FIR, the Tower Progression Program is in effect which means you're likely to go to a feeder tower, and be placed on a recall list for YYZ, or YWG. The feeder towers are outlined on one of my other posts and I'm too lazy to look it up.

IFR

What was said above is correct, you'll be placed in a specialty in the ACC you train in. As I understand it (and if an IFR controller could confirm, that would be awesome) when you start your basic training you'll either be streamed for an "En Route" course or a "Terminal" course. In the YZ FIR Terminal Course covers the Toronto Terminal Specialty and the Airports Specialty. En Route covers every other specialty.

I don't know anything about FSS.

Hope this helps.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”