YVR In-person Assessment (Jan 2019)

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Wingstofly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: YVR In-person Assessment (Jan 2019)

Post by Wingstofly »

wanderlust_xx wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm Hi there, congrats on getting a seat at the assessment!

I am starting IFR training in April!
PM me and I can give you some detailed tips for the assessment :)
I wrote mine is May of last year.

Hi Kelsey,
Could you please PM me some detailed tips for the assessment.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

shantz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shantz »

Has anyone heard anything back on the assessment yet?

My online profile now says "COMPLETED" with a green check... anyone elses?

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

didn't it always say that after you click the link? Or are you saying that it says that now on the first page in place of "Status: Assessment"?

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

OK for those of you who attended the session in Vancouver 3 weeks ago, I have some news as to why we haven't seen any results yet...

I sent an e-mail to Joanne today and politely asked if there was any ETA on our results. I was pleasantly surprised when she responded the same day with the following logical explanation:
We are experiencing technical issues with one of our testing files. Once the issue has been resolved we will be able to upload the scores.

Sorry for this delay and thank you for your continued patience.
So I guess we'll have to practice patience for now. :?

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Thanks for keeping us updated aslam :D

shantz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shantz »

Mine appears to have been updated - it now says 'Status: Interview"

Anyone else?

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

shantz wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm Mine appears to have been updated - it now says 'Status: Interview"

Anyone else?
@shantz: Thanks for the update. Were you in the same assessment in Vancouver?

So I had refreshed the page already but I was focusing on looking for a new pending task. I hadn't noticed that the status had changed. Mine is now also showing "Status: Interview". 8)

I still haven't seen any e-mail from NavCanada so hopefully this is not an error in their system. :prayer: I'll wait to see a formal e-mail from them before breathing a sigh of relief.

Anyone else have the same thing? Did anyone get a formal e-mail notice from them? @hopefulguy what say you?

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

shantz wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm Mine appears to have been updated - it now says 'Status: Interview"

Anyone else?
aslam wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Anyone else?
@shantz: Thanks for the update. Were you in the same assessment in Vancouver?

So I had refreshed the page already but I was focusing on looking for a new pending task. I hadn't noticed that the status had changed. Mine is now also showing "Status: Interview". 8)

I still haven't seen any e-mail from NavCanada so hopefully this is not an error in their system. :prayer: I'll wait to see a formal e-mail from them before breathing a sigh of relief.

Anyone else have the same thing? Did anyone get a formal e-mail notice from them? @hopefulguy what say you?
Mine also says Status: Interview now. And I also did not receive any official emails or anything yet.

I heard the new myworkdayjobs website has lots of glitches... I hope they didn't accidentally just pass us all lol :) but tentatively grats to us all

BTW did Joanne say anything about emailing our results? I think I was too tired from the exams and didn't listen carefully when she was explaining what happens after :(

Also, which stream are you guys hoping to go into? My order of preference is VFR > IFR >>>>> FSS/FIC

YVRFlier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRFlier »

I sat the morning of Jan. 23rd. Mine did the same thing. Changed from NTL to YVR and Status changed to Interview just
the other day, last Friday or Monday.
However, I've had a green check mark for since about Feb 8/9th. Maybe it was always there but never
noticed.
From what I understand, you only receive emails if you're NOT successful and emails when they
are ready for you for the next stage.
Someone can correct me if I'm misinformed.
Anyways, congrats to everyone who made it through that assessment. Good times all around

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

Ok more news to report... I emailed them and got a response from Joanne that the status change does indeed mean that we passed the in-person assessment and it is not a mistake or glitch in the system. :D

Here’s what she said:
Yes this does mean that you were successful. Your profile will now remain active for 18 months and it is during this time that if you are invited to move forward that we can contact you to move forward.
Unfortunately no timeline on when that might happen or what the next step would be. I seem to remember her saying at the end of the testing session that they don’t do phone interviews anymore but instead we would go straight to a panel in-person interview. I also seem to remember her saying that everyone who passed the in-person assessment session would be “guaranteed an interview”. Does anyone else remember that the next step was a panel interview and that we would be guaranteed one or did misremember that. I was also feeling some exhaustion from the testing regime so I may have heard things incorrectly.

@hopefulguy, I do not remember hearing anything about the results being emailed. As far as I know, they always stay confidential and we will likely never know exactly what they were.

My preference is the same as yours. I just know I would do better in a VFR scenario and I prefer that style of interaction than the IFR one.
YVRFlier wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 pm I sat the morning of Jan. 23rd. Mine did the same thing. Changed from NTL to YVR and Status changed to Interview just
@YVRFlier: if you sat the exam on Wed the 23rd, we were in the same session. Where were you sitting? I was the one at the far left of the front row as you faced Joanne.

I’m curious, where do you see the change from National to YVR? I can’t see that on mine. Is it in the title at the top of the page? If so, mine still says National. Did you indicate you would be available for a posting outside of the YVR FIR on your initial application? If not, that might be why yours now says YVR.

Now I guess we have to wait for the next step. Have any of you heard any indication on when that next step might happen?

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Thanks for the update, Aslam and YVRFlier.

I also recall Joanne saying no more phone interviews. Now that you mention being guaranteed an in-person interview, I seem to recall that too, although I would not have remembered it at all if you didn't mention it.

When I said "results", I just meant pass/fail, like a "Congratulations, you have moved on to the next round" or something like that.
aslam wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 am I’m curious, where do you see the change from National to YVR? I can’t see that on mine. Is it in the title at the top of the page? If so, mine still says National. Did you indicate you would be available for a posting outside of the YVR FIR on your initial application? If not, that might be why yours now says YVR.

Now I guess we have to wait for the next step. Have any of you heard any indication on when that next step might happen?

In terms of where it says YVR, YVRFlier is talking about https://imgur.com/a/lSiI2jb See how the blue link now says ATS YVR Air Traffic Services instead of ATS NTL Air Traffic Services?

I did send Joanne an email asking for an approximate range of dates for when the interviews might possibly happen, as I am planning to leave the country for a few months and I want to plan it around it if possible. But, no response yet. I think she's still in Edmonton proctoring their exams. Or at least she was until Friday, so she didn't have time to answer yet.

Also, I was in the Jan 22nd sitting, we seemed to have sat in the same place, Aslam :D

YVRFlier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRFlier »

aslam wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 am Ok more news to report... I emailed them and got a response from Joanne that the status change does indeed mean that we passed the in-person assessment and it is not a mistake or glitch in the system. :D

Here’s what she said:
Yes this does mean that you were successful. Your profile will now remain active for 18 months and it is during this time that if you are invited to move forward that we can contact you to move forward.
Unfortunately no timeline on when that might happen or what the next step would be. I seem to remember her saying at the end of the testing session that they don’t do phone interviews anymore but instead we would go straight to a panel in-person interview. I also seem to remember her saying that everyone who passed the in-person assessment session would be “guaranteed an interview”. Does anyone else remember that the next step was a panel interview and that we would be guaranteed one or did misremember that. I was also feeling some exhaustion from the testing regime so I may have heard things incorrectly.

@hopefulguy, I do not remember hearing anything about the results being emailed. As far as I know, they always stay confidential and we will likely never know exactly what they were.

My preference is the same as yours. I just know I would do better in a VFR scenario and I prefer that style of interaction than the IFR one.
YVRFlier wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 pm I sat the morning of Jan. 23rd. Mine did the same thing. Changed from NTL to YVR and Status changed to Interview just
@YVRFlier: if you sat the exam on Wed the 23rd, we were in the same session. Where were you sitting? I was the one at the far left of the front row as you faced Joanne.

I’m curious, where do you see the change from National to YVR? I can’t see that on mine. Is it in the title at the top of the page? If so, mine still says National. Did you indicate you would be available for a posting outside of the YVR FIR on your initial application? If not, that might be why yours now says YVR.

I was the last one to enter the room that morning. Sat back middle table, left seat.

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

hopefulguy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am I also recall Joanne saying no more phone interviews. Now that you mention being guaranteed an in-person interview, I seem to recall that too, although I would not have remembered it at all if you didn't mention it.

I did send Joanne an email asking for an approximate range of dates for when the interviews might possibly happen, as I am planning to leave the country for a few months and I want to plan it around it if possible. But, no response yet. I think she's still in Edmonton proctoring their exams. Or at least she was until Friday, so she didn't have time to answer yet.
Glad I didn’t hear that incorrectly. So then let’s hope they schedule in-person interviews soon. Let us know what you hear back from her. I’m travelling at the end of March/early-April so I really hope they are not at that time.
hopefulguy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am When I said "results", I just meant pass/fail, like a "Congratulations, you have moved on to the next round" or something like that.
That makes sense now. Yes I remember her saying we would be receiving an email either way. Maybe she’ll send those once she’s back from Edmonton.
hopefulguy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am
aslam wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 am I’m curious, where do you see the change from National to YVR? I can’t see that on mine. Is it in the title at the top of the page? If so, mine still says National. Did you indicate you would be available for a posting outside of the YVR FIR on your initial application? If not, that might be why yours now says YVR.
In terms of where it says YVR, YVRFlier is talking about https://imgur.com/a/lSiI2jb See how the blue link now says ATS YVR Air Traffic Services instead of ATS NTL Air Traffic Services?
Thanks for the screenshot. Ok so mine still shows “National” at that same spot. I’m curious, what did you say in your initial application under the section where it asks if you would consider training/postings in another FIR? Did you say yes and if so, which FIRs did you indicate you would be interested in? I’m wondering if that is the difference. I did say yes and that I would consider training/posting in the Toronto and Montreal FIRs.
hopefulguy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am Also, I was in the Jan 22nd sitting, we seemed to have sat in the same place, Aslam :D
Either it was a lucky spot or great minds think alike. ;)

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

aslam wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 pm Thanks for the screenshot. Ok so mine still shows “National” at that same spot. I’m curious, what did you say in your initial application under the section where it asks if you would consider training/postings in another FIR? Did you say yes and if so, which FIRs did you indicate you would be interested in? I’m wondering if that is the difference. I did say yes and that I would consider training/posting in the Toronto and Montreal FIRs.
Did you apply in the new system or the old system? I applied late last June in the old system, it's been a long time, I don't remember if I even had an option to indicate that. Certainly I'm pretty sure I wasn't given choices for individual FIRs. At most, it was either national or just within the region. And if such an option was given, I'm sure I would have indicated national back then.

I wonder if I can change it. Vancouver/BC is certainly nice, but I'll take anything I can get.

*Fingers Crossed I don't get posted to iles-de-la-nowhere for FSS :D*

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

hopefulguy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pmDid you apply in the new system or the old system? I applied late last June in the old system, it's been a long time, I don't remember if I even had an option to indicate that. Certainly I'm pretty sure I wasn't given choices for individual FIRs. At most, it was either national or just within the region. And if such an option was given, I'm sure I would have indicated national back then.
I applied in December so it was in the new system where there was a question asking what region you were applying from (drop down to select one region) and a second question asking what other regions you are interested in applying for (checkboxes to select multiple other regions or “no other region” option). I answered Vancouver for the first and Toronto and Montreal for the second.
hopefulguy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pmI wonder if I can change it. Vancouver/BC is certainly nice, but I'll take anything I can get.

*Fingers Crossed I don't get posted to iles-de-la-nowhere for FSS :D*
That would be a question for Joanne or something to mention during your interview. However, as you’ve noted, there’s a pro and a con to that. You might get a chance to go somewhere interesting but you might also get posted to “iles-de-la-nowhere”. :lol:

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

So, Joanne responded to the 3 questions in my email.
I am not aware of the timeline for interviews for the Vancouver FIR
You would receive an invitation in the same format as you did for the testing session
And she confirmed that we would no longer have a phone interview.

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

Thanks for the update, @hopefulguy. I hope that they don’t schedule them for when either of us are out of town. 🤞🏽
If anyone hears about potential dates for the next round of interviews in Vancouver, please let us know.

rcminvcr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rcminvcr »

Well, as of today, my file was moved back from YWG to YVR after successfully completing the in-person assessment in YWG. Back in the YVR pool. :)

I tried asking about an interview timeline, but it sounds like no dates are set yet. Hoping either April or July-Sept time frames. :prayer: :prayer:

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Got an email for interview dates! So excited.

YVRFlier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRFlier »

hopefulguy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:10 pm Got an email for interview dates! So excited.
I got mine yesterday. Still a little :shock: Can't wait and counting down the days! Congrats

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”