How is VFR FIR assigned?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kvcy
Rank 1
Rank 1

How is VFR FIR assigned?

Post by kvcy »

Does anyone know how the FIR of VFRs is decided after training?​
Are trainees given priority based on grades or do they randomly assign FIRs?
---------- ADS -----------

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How is VFR FIR assigned?

Post by wanderlust_xx »

I do not understand your question.
By FIR I am assuming flight information region?

When you apply, you are applying to the FIR you live in unless you're planning on moving.

As for VFR vs IFR - that is decided after your final panel interview.
I think it is probably a combination of how well you scored and where they think you will succeed.

I emphasized how I thought I would do best in VFR during my interview.. but was given an IFR training seat.
They will absolutely ask your preference, but ultimately Nav Canada decides what stream you are placed in.

kvcy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kvcy »

wanderlust_xx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm I do not understand your question.

When you apply, you are applying to the FIR you live in unless you're planning on moving.

I think it is probably a combination of how well you scored and where they think you will succeed.

I emphasized how I thought I would do best in VFR during my interview.. but was given an IFR training seat.
They will absolutely ask your preference, but ultimately Nav Canada decides what stream you are placed in.
My apologies, I'll make my questions more clear.

Yes, I am referring to flight information region when I say FIR, but more specifically, which airport.
I know that IFR works at the airport they train at (correct me if I am wrong) but I read on posts that VFR can be assigned to any airport within the province of the FIR you applied for.
I was wondering how the company determines which successful VFR trainees will be assigned to which airport. Is it based on your training performance & grades? Or do they randomly assign you to an airport of that province?

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

kvcy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:15 pm
wanderlust_xx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm I do not understand your question.

My apologies, I'll make my questions more clear.

Yes, I am referring to flight information region when I say FIR, but more specifically, which airport.
I know that IFR works at the airport they train at (correct me if I am wrong) but I read on posts that VFR can be assigned to any airport within the province of the FIR you applied for.
I was wondering how the company determines which successful VFR trainees will be assigned to which airport. Is it based on your training performance & grades? Or do they randomly assign you to an airport of that province?

IFR is at the area control centre.
VFR as far as I know they ask you what your top preferences are and try their best to accommodate.
I think most of the last VFR group got to go to where they requested.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

For national courses, the FIR you are assigned is based on operational needs of the company. You would be told beforehand if it is a national course. Yes could be sent across the country if there was a need for that - no, they most likely won't tell you where in the country you're going until the end of the course. In fact, you probably won't know what tower you're going to until the very end of the course (and that could suck for a lot of people.)

Within an FIR, you will be assigned a tower based on operational needs and your ability to succeed there. If your instructors feel you would not be successful at a tower that is at the top of your list, you probably won't get sent there even if you desperately want it. Nothing about tower assignments are random.

Knowledge of MATS is important for exams and every single day of your job, but demonstrating your aptitude in the sim matters much more than showing the company you can memorize bullet points.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Just remember the FIR can be bigger or smaller than a province, i.e. Toronto FIR is smaller than Ontario but Winnipeg FIR is more than Manitoba. For national courses, I don't know how they decide where to send students.

In my course, which was not a national course, we had no input as to where we ended up.

kvcy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kvcy »

stabilizedapproach wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 pm For national courses, the FIR you are assigned is based on operational needs of the company. You would be told beforehand if it is a national course. Yes could be sent across the country if there was a need for that - no, they most likely won't tell you where in the country you're going until the end of the course. In fact, you probably won't know what tower you're going to until the very end of the course (and that could suck for a lot of people.)

Within an FIR, you will be assigned a tower based on operational needs and your ability to succeed there. If your instructors feel you would not be successful at a tower that is at the top of your list, you probably won't get sent there even if you desperately want it. Nothing about tower assignments are random.

Knowledge of MATS is important for exams and every single day of your job, but demonstrating your aptitude in the sim matters much more than showing the company you can memorize bullet points.
Thanks so much for the info!

If you were stationed at a tower that wasn't your preference and want to move to the one you want later on in your career, or to another one due to personal/family reasons, how likely is it for that to happen?
A346Dude wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:25 pm Just remember the FIR can be bigger or smaller than a province, i.e. Toronto FIR is smaller than Ontario but Winnipeg FIR is more than Manitoba. For national courses, I don't know how they decide where to send students.

In my course, which was not a national course, we had no input as to where we ended up.
I didn't realize that it can be big or small depending on each FIR. Do you know how small (in numbers) the Toronto FIR is?

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

I believe you can put your name on a bid list two years after qualification. If it is a popular tower, you’ll be competing with controllers who have more seniority than you.

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lmck596 »

There’s a good map of the fir regions on their website https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/careers/tec ... ons_EN.pdf If that link works... which tower are you hoping for?

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

kvcy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:46 pm I didn't realize that it can be big or small depending on each FIR. Do you know how small (in numbers) the Toronto FIR is?
Toronto FIR towers:

Pearson
Billy Bishop
Oshawa
Hamilton
Waterloo
London
Windsor
Sault Ste. Marie

Thunder Bay is in Winnipeg FIR, and Ottawa is in Montreal.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”