Medical Exam Minimum Vision Requirements

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kvcy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Medical Exam Minimum Vision Requirements

Post by kvcy »

Hey everyone,

I was reading through ATC subreddits and realized I forgot about vision requirements and am wondering if anyone knows what the minimum vision requirements are?
I read something about someone having -5 and -5.25 and that he/she was safe since he/she is right on the limit of +/-5 diopters.
I don't understand what this means.

My right eye has SPH of -7.00 and left eye of -5.25 (I know, right one's a bad one). I did my examination last summer.
If this is an issue, can I pass the vision test in the medical with an operation like lasik or something similar?
If this is the case, I'd like to know and prepare in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Medical Exam Minimum Vision Requirements

Post by nbinont »

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lmck596 »

Currently doing training as an fss...my eyesight is corrected to near 20/20 with glasses or contacts. However prescription is like +7.5 for both eyes. As long as your eyesight is corrected with glasses you should be fine

heymela
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by heymela »

i know a ifr controller and he said eyesight doesn't matter but they will require you to have a spare set of glasses with you at work in case something happens to the pair you are wearing.

i start my fss course in june and the eye examination was not too intense. hearing was by far the weirdest/hardest even though i did well on it.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”