VFR Relocation - YYT

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

doregan
Rank 0
Rank 0

VFR Relocation - YYT

Post by doregan »

Hi everybody,

I'm currently in the interview stage of my NAV Canada application, and was hoping to get some insight on timeframes for relocation. I understand that during VFR training you could be sent to any tower control in Canada, but after a couple of years you may enter a bid to move to a different location. Have any ATC's here relocated to YYT? I know seniority comes into consideration during the process, and both towers must be able to accommodate the move, but with family in St. John's, it would be great to have an opportunity to return home at some point. Just wondering if anyone has had experience in relocating closer to home, how long the process took, etc. If anyone has successfully relocated to YYT, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: VFR Relocation - YYT

Post by Lotro »

The CATCA (ATC) contract has language in it referring to the National Bid Program, which allows controllers with a minimum of 2 years of service at their initial posting to request a transfer to another unit based on that unit's anticipated staffing needs.

In the last contract, the National Bid Program was frozen. At this point, its future is unclear as we are currently in contract negotiations.

Some units are notoriously difficult to get into (like Kelowna) since they're desirable for lots of people and spots are handed out based on need and seniority. Some units, never get offered on the National Bid List.

The long and the short of it is, while it seems like you could move to any tower after qualifying, it's not really that easy. Good plan is to make the most of wherever you end up, you're likely to be there for a while. You'd be surprised how quickly time goes by though, if you still want YYT 10 years in, you might be able to get it.

Good luck.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”