IFR Training Difficulty

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR Training Difficulty

Post by mofoman »

I have read many posts on this forum, reddit and the take charge website that make it very clear that IFR (and VFR / FSS for that matter) training is challenging, and I fully get the message. My focus is more on IFR due to the lower check out rate.

I would appreciate any feedback on the following questions:

1) What exactly makes the training difficult? (does it just come down to committing the necessary amount of time or are the concepts difficult to grasp)

2) What would be the main reason students CT?

3) If one is committed and puts in the required time to study do success rates improve for that type of student?

4) I understand that there are 7-8 tests during training, all requiring 80% to pass. What format are the tests, how long are they and are they difficult for those that are prepared to write them... etc?

Thanks to those that respond!

Mofoman
Current Status: YYZ FEAST ASSESSMENT SEPT 2019
---------- ADS -----------

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: IFR Training Difficulty

Post by whatisttv »

1) I was told it's both the steep learning curve as well as aptitude (so both committing the necessary amount of time and in some cases, difficult to perform)

2) Same as above. Sometimes it's student not studying hard enough and sometimes the student can't meet the standards despite how hard they try.

3) Probably

4) Where did you get those numbers? there's certainly a whole lot more than 8 tests during a 2 year training program.

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

whatisttv wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 pm 1) I was told it's both the steep learning curve as well as aptitude (so both committing the necessary amount of time and in some cases, difficult to perform)

2) Same as above. Sometimes it's student not studying hard enough and sometimes the student can't meet the standards despite how hard they try.

3) Probably

4) Where did you get those numbers? there's certainly a whole lot more than 8 tests during a 2 year training program.
I thought I came across a post that talked about testing during training, but I may have misread. Are you able to provide some detail on what tests are like and how frequent?

Thanks

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

I won't be able to as I just began training.

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

sent you a PM.

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JVader »

Sometimes its just bad trainers who want to keep the OT flowing?

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

JVader wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm Sometimes its just bad trainers who want to keep the OT flowing?
Was that your experience?

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JVader »

I think you'll find that to be quite a common theme with CT'd students...

shinato
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shinato »

Can i please pm you. I've some questions to ask you

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

shinato wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 am Can i please pm you. I've some questions to ask you
sure

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BoardManPaid »

mofoman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:36 am I have read many posts on this forum, reddit and the take charge website that make it very clear that IFR (and VFR / FSS for that matter) training is challenging, and I fully get the message. My focus is more on IFR due to the lower check out rate.

I would appreciate any feedback on the following questions:

1) What exactly makes the training difficult? (does it just come down to committing the necessary amount of time or are the concepts difficult to grasp)

2) What would be the main reason students CT?

3) If one is committed and puts in the required time to study do success rates improve for that type of student?

4) I understand that there are 7-8 tests during training, all requiring 80% to pass. What format are the tests, how long are they and are they difficult for those that are prepared to write them... etc?

Thanks to those that respond!

Mofoman
Current Status: YYZ FEAST ASSESSMENT SEPT 2019

1. Training is one of the most difficult things you'll ever do in your life. It's long, intimidating, stressful, frustrating, and humbling. At the beginning the amount of time you put in is directly related to how you will do. Memorizing rules and procedures is the majority of the first 8 months along with basic simulation if you practice you'll be fine. After that while speciality training is similar in studying and memorizing maps, freqs, and details during the later parts of simulation it becomes more about underatanding and being able to apply the rules rather than being able to recite them verbatim. Once you hit the floor working live traffic it has almost nothing to do with the time you put in outside of dont show up late or be sick all the time and stuff like that. Sure there could be situations where you need to review something outside of work but if using breaks as time to review and practice phraseology that should be plenty. It's also important to not do it 24/7 many trainees have burned themselves out or over thought things to where it becomes a negative.

2. Not being able to do the job. Every specialty is different but training comes down to 60-120ish working days where you need to do the job without major mistakes and working busier traffic. Having an O.I during final phase of training or a situation that would of resulted in one with your oji correcting it can end someone's training. Being a dick, late, rude is also never going to help your case regardless of the scenario tho.

3. Yes and No. Getting through the "school" portion is a major achievement but the floor requires you to be able to do the job. Not know everything.

4. Probably more like 10-12 tests. And 8-10 sim evals. If you put in the time you'll pass the tests. Most is just rote memorization and verbatim rules. Simulation evals are stressful and difficult. Most intense part of the school aspect imo.

A huge hurdle in training is being able to know when to stick up for your self and when to fall on your sword. As petty as that may seem.

People commenting that people fail to protect overtime is simply not true. Maybe it's happened in the past but like in every walk of life some guys are dicks who want everyone to fail because they're bitter about something. The opinions that matter are that of your OJI and training supervisor.

Realistically .5% of people who apply or less qualify. But if you can get through it it's one of the best jobs around

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

Thanks Boardmanpaid for your detailed reply. Your insight is very appreciated.

M

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”