How long were you Eligible for Offer?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

novemberalpha
Rank 0
Rank 0

How long were you Eligible for Offer?

Post by novemberalpha »

Good morning all.

Just wondering how long some of you have sat in the Eligible for Offer pool before receiving a seat. I’m aware not all folks will make it out of this pool, but am interested to see what others’ experiences have been.

For context, I applied November 2018 in the YVR FIR, tested in January on what I believe was the last run of the WSIM out here, interviewed in late June, and had my status updated to Eligible for Offer at the beginning of September. Indicated I was most interested in VFR, but am interested in pursuing any opportunity to get into the field.

Thank you all in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

rodzilla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How long were you Eligible for Offer?

Post by rodzilla »

Been there since Novembre 2018, havent had interview yet.
reapplied after 1 year from my first Wsim Test in November 2017.

mvwrobot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mvwrobot »

I had my 1st phone interview on June 9th 2018. I did the language test a few weeks after.
My 18 month is calculated from that 1st interview.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

I applied in Summer of 2015. One of the last of us that did the W-SIM....scored high enough on everything and streamed IFR in late fall 2015 (missed that round of offers). Spring of 2016 was offered standby VFR which I accepted. Studied my butt off in hopes someone would back out, nothing happened but was told I had a high likelihood of an offer in the next round (fall 2016). Came and went and didn't get a single call, was crushed. I was a student in school at the time as a previous employer I absolutely loved called and created a position just for me which I accepted and started January 2017. At this point I should have withdrawn from ATC consideration but was advised not to. This was a big mistake. Nav called in March and offered VFR training that spring. Unfortunately out of respect for my current employer that poured a lot of resources into bringing me on board and creating a role for me, I had to decline (I also had a new baby boy and wife that felt it was all too busy).

I was in an unfortunate place being that due to everything else in my life, I put it all on hold especially since I streamed so high. It still eats me to this day that by now (assuming I passed) I would be in a tower doing my dream job. Now I have been with my employer 18 months and by the time I would get an offer (assuming I can make it through FEAST, and all moves quickly) I will have been there 2 years and can leave without burning a bridge, or screwing them over. At least this go round, I don't need to make any decisions and can wait a couple of years for my offer if that is what it takes, I won't be risking my families' well being, or screwing over an amazing company and a particular individual that invested in me.

So long winded, but to answer your question, I was eligible for about 16 months as IFR before getting a firm VFR training seat offered.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

outflying8 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:00 am I applied in Summer of 2015. One of the last of us that did the W-SIM....scored high enough on everything and streamed IFR in late fall 2015 (missed that round of offers). Spring of 2016 was offered standby VFR which I accepted. Studied my butt off in hopes someone would back out, nothing happened but was told I had a high likelihood of an offer in the next round (fall 2016). Came and went and didn't get a single call, was crushed. I was a student in school at the time as a previous employer I absolutely loved called and created a position just for me which I accepted and started January 2017. At this point I should have withdrawn from ATC consideration but was advised not to. This was a big mistake. Nav called in March and offered VFR training that spring. Unfortunately out of respect for my current employer that poured a lot of resources into bringing me on board and creating a role for me, I had to decline (I also had a new baby boy and wife that felt it was all too busy).

I was in an unfortunate place being that due to everything else in my life, I put it all on hold especially since I streamed so high. It still eats me to this day that by now (assuming I passed) I would be in a tower doing my dream job. Now I have been with my employer 18 months and by the time I would get an offer (assuming I can make it through FEAST, and all moves quickly) I will have been there 2 years and can leave without burning a bridge, or screwing them over. At least this go round, I don't need to make any decisions and can wait a couple of years for my offer if that is what it takes, I won't be risking my families' well being, or screwing over an amazing company and a particular individual that invested in me.

So long winded, but to answer your question, I was eligible for about 16 months as IFR before getting a firm VFR training seat offered.
I feel for your unfortunate turn of events. Far from being any of the other folks who get neither a seat in training nor a good job they like outside of Nav, but definitely a long journey. I admire your perseverance and i hope you're successful in the coming application process once more.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

whatisttv wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm

I feel for your unfortunate turn of events. Far from being any of the other folks who get neither a seat in training nor a good job they like outside of Nav, but definitely a long journey. I admire your perseverance and i hope you're successful in the coming application process once more.
Thanks! me too!

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”