FIC locations in YEG FIR

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

FIC locations in YEG FIR

Post by outflying8 »

Hey everyone,

So after a roller coaster of a process almost two years ago (resulted in me unfortunately having to decline a VFR offer, which was exactly what I had wanted)...I have re-applied for ATC. However, I now see that they have this FIC position, but it is kind of unclear as to where exactly these are located based on the map of the FIR I looked up. Can anyone chime in on where these posts could be located?

I am totally flexible as far as being willing to relocate (obviously) but need to be near a semi-large center in order to help my wife land a position (she is a teacher)

TIA
---------- ADS -----------

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
moosetracks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FIC locations in YEG FIR

Post by moosetracks »

It is my understanding that the FICs are located in the ACC although NAV CANADA's FIR map looks to have two FIC in the Edmonton FIR (Edmonton and Whitehorse) with one "missing" from the Gander location. I can confirm for sure that the YEG site has FIC there, not sure about the Whitehorse location also in that FIR.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Edited for recency.... the pic was old.

https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/careers/fic/
moosetracks wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 am It is my understanding that the FICs are located in the ACC
Most of the FIC's are not in the ACC's

xyzzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by xyzzy »

Whitehorse provides both FIC and AAS services so I doubt it'd be a first posting for either course.

kashep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kashep »

Whitehorse is a bit different, they call it a "FIC-lite". If you train direct-entry FIC I'm pretty sure you are almost guaranteed Edmonton, unless for some reason they needed you more in a different FIR. Regardless, all FICs are in decent-sized cities.

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

I found this reference map while researching possible postings for my own region (Winnipeg), published Feb. 2018. It appears to match the info given on the take charge website:

https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/careers/tec ... ons_EN.pdf

Looks like there are FIC stations located in Whitehorse, Kamloops, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Quebec City and Halifax.

No Gander FIC shown on this one either, although there is a tower and FSS.

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

There is no FIC in Gander, Newfoundland is served by Halifax FIC. Gander does have an FSS but it is an International FSS, it's main purpose is to communicate with oceanic traffic on HF radio, I don't believe they deal with any domestic traffic at all...

They also have a unique and separate training stream.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”