YVR in person assessment (Jan 2020)

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

YVR in person assessment (Jan 2020)

Post by Delta22 »

Hey all. I applied to the YVR FIR back in October, and I'm curious if anyone has any idea when the in person assessment for Vancouver is, and when we could possibly hear from NAV Canada if we're successful?

As a side note: does NAV send out all invites within a short span (1-2 days) or spread out (1 week plus)?

Thanks and good luck to those who also applied!
---------- ADS -----------

shantz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: YVR in person assessment (Jan 2020)

Post by shantz »

If you've just applied this past Oct, expect it to take a while.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

shantz wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:49 pm If you've just applied this past Oct, expect it to take a while.
About how long? is there a backlog they have to push through in Vancouver FIR?

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

I've noticed some other FIRs have been sending out invites, has anyone received an invite for the YVR assessments?

mkd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mkd »

The last in-person assessment they ran was in October, followed by a round of 2-day assessments in December.

When I had called the Navcanada recruitment number last April, the person I spoke with had said they typically do only one or two rounds of assessments a year in this region. Impossible to say for sure, but I would guess it will be at least another 3 to 4 months before they would be running another round of in-person assessments.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

mkd wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 am The last in-person assessment they ran was in October, followed by a round of 2-day assessments in December.

When I had called the Navcanada recruitment number last April, the person I spoke with had said they typically do only one or two rounds of assessments a year in this region. Impossible to say for sure, but I would guess it will be at least another 3 to 4 months before they would be running another round of in-person assessments.
That's odd. cause the website says "Our next courses begin in Fall 2020. Apply by January 31, 2020 to begin testing in February 2020." I might have to call in and see what they say.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

Just called and spoke with Joanne at the national recruitment center. She said there's no assessment sessions in Feb, and she didn't say when the next one was :/

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

Delta22 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:21 pm Just called and spoke with Joanne at the national recruitment center. She said there's no assessment sessions in Feb, and she didn't say when the next one was :/
Oh, well that is disappointing! I was expecting it to run the same time as others since all of them but one had the same timeline.
Thanks for the update though.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

Aguaymanto wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:30 pm
Delta22 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:21 pm Just called and spoke with Joanne at the national recruitment center. She said there's no assessment sessions in Feb, and she didn't say when the next one was :/
Oh, well that is disappointing! I was expecting it to run the same time as others since all of them but one had the same timeline.
yeah its kind of odd that they still say on the website that testing begins next month. I know YEG and YYZ have their assessment dates, have any other regions heard about theirs?

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

Delta22 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:15 pm
Aguaymanto wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:30 pm
yeah its kind of odd that they still say on the website that testing begins next month. I know YEG and YYZ have their assessment dates, have any other regions heard about theirs?
Yeah those are the two I saw as well. Haven't heard about the others

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

So I emailed NavCanada - I was told invites for YVR will likely go out at the end of the month but no specifics.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

Aguaymanto wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:11 pm So I emailed NavCanada - I was told invites for YVR will likely go out at the end of the month but no specifics.
Interesting Interesting. Well good luck at least! hope to see you at the assessment whenever they are.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

Has anyone heard anything from NAV Canada yet about test invites/when they might be sent out?

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

Delta22 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 am Has anyone heard anything from NAV Canada yet about test invites/when they might be sent out?
I don't know if this helps, but here's a timeline of my application process (thus far) for YYZ ATC (note: I was informed this assessment was only for a career in ATC).

1) Applied and completed the online assessment November 28th 2019
2) Was informed I was successful in the online assessment on January 6th 2020 and was being invited to the in-person assessment at the Toronto ACC, dates were Feb 3-7, 10-14. I chose 14 because it fit my schedule perfectly.
3) Attended the in-person assessment on February 14th and I am currently patiently waiting on an indicator of moving forward in the selection process.

It's a job very few have the privilege of doing, so all these assessments and wait times only make it more special imo.

Best of luck to us all :prayer: :heart: ,

Kamm

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

Delta22 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 am Has anyone heard anything from NAV Canada yet about test invites/when they might be sent out?
Hi Delta, sorry I forgot to update this thread, but I was told that there won't be FEAST testing until the fall now. I wasn't really given an explanation why, but she seemed pretty confident in that answer. Seems a bit disorganized since when I emailed last time they said they weren't sure but invite should be sent out soon.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta22 »

Aguaymanto wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Hi Delta, sorry I forgot to update this thread, but I was told that there won't be FEAST testing until the fall now. I wasn't really given an explanation why, but she seemed pretty confident in that answer. Seems a bit disorganized since when I emailed last time they said they weren't sure but invite should be sent out soon.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
It's all good. Really weird though, and I'd kind of like an explanation from Nav Canada as to why they've done that. Interesting as well, it still says on the website that testing is in Feb. 2020 and classes are in Fall 2020. Do we know how they select who gets in in terms of application date? do they prefer those who applied first, or those who applied closer to the testing dates?

EDIT: Should also be noted: going through this forum, Every other FIR except Gander had testing in Feb, and Gander is significantly less common than the rest of them in general.

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

As far as I know, the application date isn't considered. It only goes by test scores.
And Gander did have testing in February, not sure where you saw that.

nvcatc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nvcatc »

Delta22 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm
It's all good. Really weird though, and I'd kind of like an explanation from Nav Canada as to why they've done that. Interesting as well, it still says on the website that testing is in Feb. 2020 and classes are in Fall 2020. Do we know how they select who gets in in terms of application date? do they prefer those who applied first, or those who applied closer to the testing dates?

EDIT: Should also be noted: going through this forum, Every other FIR except Gander had testing in Feb, and Gander is significantly less common than the rest of them in general.
Apologies in advance if this sounds harsh, but Nav Canada doesn't owe anyone an explanation. People should be grateful that the company even lets you know at all whether your application can proceed or not. Most jobs don't respond to applicants who aren't moving forward with interviews, and it's only now that Nav Canada has started using FEAST that they're doing this for current applicants. When I went through, the first year I applied, I heard nothing for 12 months so just had to apply again when the timer reset. On my second application, I made it through... but every step of the way was a waiting game of uncertainty. I'm not trying to say that because I went through that, new applicants should too, but at least have some patience and understanding for the acquisition team. Shit happens. People get busy, other problems come up, there's a constant cycle of THOUSANDS of applications to go through for the entire country, and then there's the logistics of organizing all the testing and boot camps. So just put your application on the back burner (same to all the people in the YYZ thread complaining about Joanne's timeline), live your life, and when they're ready to release the results and call people back, they'll do it. Waiting sucks, I get it. But the company doesn't owe anyone anything, and they can delay testing, boot camps, and classes if that makes sense for them operationally.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

Delta22 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm I'd kind of like an explanation from Nav Canada as to why they've done that.
NAV Canada is a company, and like any company that hires, they need not explain to the public how they make certain business decisions on the hiring front. I wouldn't expect any company to tell me why they aren't running hiring processes anymore.
Delta22 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm Do we know how they select who gets in in terms of application date? do they prefer those who applied first, or those who applied closer to the testing dates?
Sounds like the company hires based on aptitude and likeliness to succeed in training, doesn't sound like it's a race for the first application. When you submit your application is irrelevant, except as a marker in which to start the time-out counter.
nvcatc wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm Apologies in advance if this sounds harsh, but Nav Canada doesn't owe anyone an explanation.
Your apology is accepted :smt040
nvcatc wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm People should be grateful that the company even lets you know at all whether your application can proceed or not.
The favourite line of any hiring agency: only those under consideration will be contacted. As far as I read on forums, NC processes over thousands of applications annually, and a qualified pool of candidates being in the high thousands range. Of course they're always looking for even better candidates. Those who make it to a training seat are amongst the less than top 1% of the applicants nationally (naturally being that much less of the 1% even get licenses). Imagine having to tell every single person on the 99% side why they didn't make it when they time out... arduous and sucky task!
nvcatc wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm When I went through, the first year I applied, I heard nothing for 12 months so just had to apply again when the timer reset. On my second application, I made it through...
Well it sounds like you made it through to a course so congratulations on that. Did you check out in the end? Can you give us any hints on what training is like? Do/did you find the training as stressful as people say or is it just something thrown out there to scare off those who don't want to put in the work? I hear almost every single day is like an evaluation and you're being observed under the microscope the moment you walk in the door. How is OJT and working real airplanes? Is it tough having someone watch you while you work and always having your mistakes pointed out to you?

As a general aside though, the biggest piece of common advice I see on this forum from people who have done this (much appreciated btw!) still remains this : do not put your life on hold and eggs in this one basket. Taking more than a year to go through the application process is not uncommon. It is best to find other work to keep yourself busy and take each step with humility so it doesn't eat away at you while you wait.

Good luck to everyone!

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

Aguaymanto wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 pm As far as I know, the application date isn't considered. It only goes by test scores.
And Gander did have testing in February, not sure where you saw that.
Can confirm, was there for that torturous “weekend.”

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”