Drug test question

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Drug test question

Post by M92 »

glide slope wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 pm This entire thread is ridiculous! If you are all so concerned about being pot heads please do us all a favour, go apply elsewhere. Preferably where human lives are not a stake. Pot heads are usually bad at coping with pressure, thus the pot use. I’m all for more stringent drug testing.
I hate to be that person but...Personally, I don’t really partake in any substance usage but I think it’s a tad closed minded to have this perspective - I think people are just asking questions especially as applicants who may have partaken in the past and just came across the job and had interest.

Usage says nothing about a person or their habits, but if you were to point fingers especially with regards to anxiety, stress, etc., alcohol is going to be where you want to start and I would wager Nav Can isn’t full of straightedge alcohol free employees.

Not trying to be rude, but that is pretty judgemental to say and comes off as ignorant, especially if you factor in the fact that alcohol stays in the system and effects the body in the same way cannabis does. There’s actually been studies that it effects people more than cannabis and even other prescription/harder drugs. It can also be tested in hair months down the line. Not saying I disagree but to call people pot heads for asking questions is a little much.
---------- ADS -----------

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

:|
YYZKammMaliok wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:55 pm
glide slope wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 pm This entire thread is ridiculous! If you are all so concerned about being pot heads please do us all a favour, go apply elsewhere. Preferably where human lives are not a stake. Pot heads are usually bad at coping with pressure, thus the pot use. I’m all for more stringent drug testing.
Agreed. Especially in this field where focus and attentiveness are top priority. I'm all for more drug testing to keep our airspace safe at any cost.
Nothing wrong with people asking questions. If you aren’t able to ask or answer questions what’s the point of a forum? Last time I checked marijuana was a legal substance in Canada so someone who used it has every right to be informed ok the required testing. Are you really going to sit on your high chair and pretend there aren’t alcohol abuse problems in the ATC/pilot world? Please.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

YYZKammMaliok wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:55 pm
Agreed. Especially in this field where focus and attentiveness are top priority. I'm all for more drug testing to keep our airspace safe at any cost.
Such a big misreprensation of marijuana use.. agreed with Braun and M92. You think there arent pilots who drank the night before? Im 100% sure there are ATCs at every FIR who drink as well. Somehow thats just accepted but if you smoke once its the worse thing you can do??

OP states he/she quit months ago for the job and plans on staying that way Id say thays good enough he/she understands the senstivity of the job and just wants to make sure they are safe. Its not like OP is asking if he can be a pothead and be an ATC.

Id also add that there are plenty of cops, firemen, doctors and surgeons and other sensitive positions that are filled with previous or current "potheads" or even worse drug abuse. Please dont generalize.

Edit- Can I also say, anyone who passes FEAST, boot camp, and training is just as qualified as anyone else. If they cant deal with it without "drugs" they will drop out during training and you have nothing to worry about.

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

Yeah you guys are right, there definitely is a minuscule possibility that some ATCs and Pilots may be intoxicated to some degree, which is why I agreed on more stringent drug testing.

Its inexcusable, especially for ATCs and Pilots. If drug abuse is what you turn to when dealing with pressure/stress instead of coping in a healthy manner, needless to say, it will impact your ability to work optimally. And the term 'drug' encompasses marijuana and alcohol alike, regardless of its legality, it's still a drug which negatively impacts performance and neurological function dramatically, especially in the ATC environment.

Having said the above, if you turn to cannabis or alcohol (among others) on a consistent basis in direct correlation to the stressors you face, technically, every time you ingest it, you'll miss out on 28 days of work (Braun, 2020) and your team of ATCs will have to fill in for you. And if you don't report your intoxication, you'll be putting many peoples lives at risk.

Since OP quit smoking Cannabis in Jan, I wish him/her the best of luck and hopefully they pass the medical. I also suppose everyone working as an ATC realizes the importance and responsibility of this job which should prevent them from taking part in consuming such substances, and inconceivably, *working* under said conditions.

All in all, enhanced drug testing is merely a way of ensuring a safe airspace. If i offended anyone, apologies.

dekosap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dekosap »

I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression to anyone here.

As others have said, I merely wanted to make sure I can proceed with the application process without worry or troubles and I would agree on more stringent testing. I dont want to get rejected because I see on the CAT2 medical form that past marijuana use is a major concern.

Maybe reddit would have been a better place for this discussion but most people on there seem to be US controllers and the last post to ask this question was over a year ago and rules have changed since then -I wanted a Canadian perspective.

If it makes anyone feel better I am a social smoker, I just happen to be a college student with lots of free time and all my friends smoke then game. I have never been high on the job not even at a part time retail environment. I or anyone I know smoke because of anxiety or because I cannot cope with stress without it.

Sorry if I offended anyone as well.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

dekosap wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 am I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression to anyone here.

As others have said, I merely wanted to make sure I can proceed with the application process without worry or troubles and I would agree on more stringent testing. I dont want to get rejected because I see on the CAT2 medical form that past marijuana use is a major concern.

Maybe reddit would have been a better place for this discussion but most people on there seem to be US controllers and the last post to ask this question was over a year ago and rules have changed since then -I wanted a Canadian perspective.

If it makes anyone feel better I am a social smoker, I just happen to be a college student with lots of free time and all my friends smoke then game. I have never been high on the job not even at a part time retail environment. I or anyone I know smoke because of anxiety or because I cannot cope with stress without it.

You didn't offend anyone and your question was valid. Don't worry about it and good luck with your training.

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

Braun wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 am
dekosap wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 am I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression to anyone here.

You didn't offend anyone and your question was valid. Don't worry about it and good luck with your training.
Yep, good luck, make us proud :smt040 :prayer: you got this.

dekosap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dekosap »

Braun wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 am
YYZKammMaliok wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:58 am
Yep, good luck, make us proud :smt040 :prayer: you got this.
Thank you guys!

I just hope I passed FEAST :lol:

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

dekosap wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:54 pm
Thank you guys!

I just hope I passed FEAST :lol:
I'm sure we both did well! And since you wrote in YYZ in the same batch as me, we should be hearing back pretty soon. Someone in another post said they spoke to Joanne and she said it would be "within a day or 2". These are probably going to be the longest days of our lives, but we'll get through it haha :D

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”