Any updates on training?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Any updates on training?

Post by kevenv »

We were told in QM ACC that HR/training dept had been reaching out to the trainees that were on the floor when they were let go to see if they were interested in coming back.
---------- ADS -----------

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

wanderlust_xx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:10 pm I was in the the group of trainees let go in September.
I was a fair amount of the way through IFR speciality.

We have not heard anything yet directly.
I have only been told that internal emails were sent with mention of starting training... no timeline though.

crossing fingers!
I can confirm that some trainees have been contacted. When they will be back, who knows. I work in in an ACC.

shortbreads
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shortbreads »

I just wanted to say I really appreciate the unofficial updates from everyone, even if there’s no confirmed dates yet. Thanks for posting folks

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

Braun wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:25 am
I can confirm that some trainees have been contacted. When they will be back, who knows. I work in in an ACC.
Oops, I totally left that out of my last post! I have been contacted!

It was via a generic email that I'm prettttty sure went out to ALL trainees who were terminated.
It asked if we were still interested in returning, and if so, how soon could we start.
It also asked if we would be interested in other streams other than what we were training in,
and if we would be interested in relocating.

That was basically it.
I guess they are collecting data to see how many have moved on and how many are interested in coming back.

v3sper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by v3sper »

I got a call this very morning, an offer for FSS, starting in september, I'm from Montreal. Things ARE getting better ! I did not believe it at first ! However, I gotta sleep on that one, hoped for VFR ...she said FSS(september) and FIC courses were planned. Yup, things are getting better !

I was in the pool since feb 2020

Last edited by v3sper on Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

v3sper wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:06 pm I got a call this very morning, an offer for FSS, starting in september, I'm from Montreal. Things ARE getting better ! I did not believe it at first ! However, I gotta sleep on that one, hoped for VFR ...she said FSS(september) and FIC courses were planned. Yup, things are getting better !
Big congrats, this is great news! I presume you had just finished the FEAST examinations and were in that pool of candidates waiting for offers before they shut down recruitment? Also seems like they are indeed hiring for FSS first (as noted earlier), although a sample size of 1 leaves much to yet be seen. All the best moving forward :)

v3sper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by v3sper »

Yup waiting since feb 2020, just before covid and thanks !

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ProfessionalATC »

I have good information from reliable sources that there will be an FSS course starting in Edmonton in August. So training is starting again.

jcf182
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jcf182 »

Got a call as well on Friday for FIC in Quebec for September.

Had to refuse since I am from Montreal, cannot move and wanted IFR only anyways.

So yes things are moving! Good luck!

FYI passed interview in Feb 2020.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Can confirm. Got a call for FSS in YEG which I politely declined. Here’s hoping!

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
Mayday200
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mayday200 »

outflying8 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 pm Can confirm. Got a call for FSS in YEG which I politely declined. Here’s hoping!
Just curious where you were in the application process. As I had received an offer and was about to start the IFR training in YEG a couple weeks before COVID shut everything down.
Wonder if they are reaching out to people who had started training or had been given offers first or if everyone is back on the wait list now.
Did they mention when that FSS course in YEG would be starting? Just looking for some kind of insight.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

late aug for the FSS course. I also turned it down.

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

I was curious for those who are turning down FSS courses, are you hoping for VFR/IFR offers later down the line or reapplying from the start again?

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

atcguy98 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:25 am I was curious for those who are turning down FSS courses, are you hoping for VFR/IFR offers later down the line or reapplying from the start again?
Yup, FSS is lower pay, and not as interesting to me, but most importantly it would require me to move my wife and 2 young kids to some pretty awful places…. VFR the worst that could happen is Yellowknife so I can make do, hoping for IFR but VFR will also be an instant yes, always dreamt of VFR

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Mayday200 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 pm
outflying8 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 pm Can confirm. Got a call for FSS in YEG which I politely declined. Here’s hoping!
Just curious where you were in the application process. As I had received an offer and was about to start the IFR training in YEG a couple weeks before COVID shut everything down.
Wonder if they are reaching out to people who had started training or had been given offers first or if everyone is back on the wait list now.
Did they mention when that FSS course in YEG would be starting? Just looking for some kind of insight.

Late august start date if I recall. And I had been put in eligibility pool in 2020 and it’s been extended to 2022 last I was told

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

outflying8 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:27 pm
atcguy98 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:25 am I was curious for those who are turning down FSS courses, are you hoping for VFR/IFR offers later down the line or reapplying from the start again?
Yup, FSS is lower pay, and not as interesting to me, but most importantly it would require me to move my wife and 2 young kids to some pretty awful places…. VFR the worst that could happen is Yellowknife so I can make do, hoping for IFR but VFR will also be an instant yes, always dreamt of VFR
pretty much the same boat for me, but with only one kid :)

pupelarajaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pupelarajaka »

Got an offer for Montreal ACC, but had to turn it down because mon francais n'est pas fort lol
For reference, I took the FEAST around fall 2019. They told me my application has been extended to be valid until next summer.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

pupelarajaka wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:50 pm Got an offer for Montreal ACC, but had to turn it down because mon francais n'est pas fort lol
For reference, I took the FEAST around fall 2019. They told me my application has been extended to be valid until next summer.
Just out of curiosity, did they say for when the offer was for? I.E. Course start date?

pupelarajaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pupelarajaka »

Braun wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 am Just out of curiosity, did they say for when the offer was for? I.E. Course start date?
Sorry I didn't ask for more information.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

pupelarajaka wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:59 pm
Braun wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 am Just out of curiosity, did they say for when the offer was for? I.E. Course start date?
Sorry I didn't ask for more information.
Did they specify if it was for IFR or FSS, or VFR?

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”