Extension to applications??

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

stormymonday
Rank 2
Rank 2

Extension to applications??

Post by stormymonday »

Does anyone know if there will be an extension to applications due to COVID? My application next steps are "ASSESSMENT" although not yet invited. I time out in January, but wondering if they're going to extend due to the freeze?
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Extension to applications??

Post by kevenv »

That's a question only Nav can answer. Why don't you contact them and ask? Then come back here and share the answer.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

I received an extension from 18 months to 24 months a few months ago.... I am sitting in the eligible for offer pool at the moment. Beyond frustrating all this craziness going on, hard enough to be patient during normal times let alone now.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
rcminvcr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rcminvcr »

I believe only those who are eligible for offers are extended. Asked about my application (waiting for interview) and was told applications are not being extended - mine will be expiring in Sept. Doubt I'll get an interview invite before then.

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

Not sure when they made this change but looks like nav Canada has subtly made the change on the website.

If you are unsuccessful at any step in the hiring process, you must now wait 36 months before reapplying. Before it was 18 months.

Similarly, you can be in any stage of the application for up to 36 months before your application lapses. In this case, I assume you can reapply right away after it lapses.

FYI, there is no indication that they are going to resume training any time soon.

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/careers/air ... oller.aspx

Misterman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Misterman »

It was announced in Gander yesterday by CBC that there were meetings with National Trianing and all trainees that were already training when Covid hit, will be asked to come back. Time-frame is unknown, but they will be starting training

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Misterman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:29 pm It was announced in Gander yesterday by CBC that there were meetings with National Trianing and all trainees that were already training when Covid hit, will be asked to come back. Time-frame is unknown, but they will be starting training
Sorry, what? I know they announced that the lay off notices where cancelled but I have not heard or seen this anywhere. Care to share a link?

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Only thing I find on CBC recently is this, but it doesn't mention all trainees being re-hired, only that "training for new controllers will continue"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.6054966

Oh, and this one about the $7M in bonuses paid last year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nav-ca ... -1.6056766

Last edited by Mayor_McCheese on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Yeah I don’t think trainees were rehired. Not yet anyways.

TheGooseIsLoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheGooseIsLoose »

Braun wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:21 am Yeah I don’t think trainees were rehired. Not yet anyways.
Still waiting for my callback, been pretty discouraged for a while but things are looking better at least!

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:12 pm
Braun wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:21 am Yeah I don’t think trainees were rehired. Not yet anyways.
Still waiting for my callback, been pretty discouraged for a while but things are looking better at least!
The fact that they cancelled the lay off notices is very positive. I hope training will resume ASAP. Good luck!

rjseeing2d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rjseeing2d »

Anyone else's application still active despite being past 18 months? My workday account still shows an open application waiting for the interview, just wondering if I should re-apply or keep waiting until the 36 month mark?

Thank you!

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

rjseeing2d wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:34 pm Anyone else's application still active despite being past 18 months? My workday account still shows an open application waiting for the interview, just wondering if I should re-apply or keep waiting until the 36 month mark?

Thank you!
Don't wait. Shoot them an email. My application has been stuck in assessment for well over 18 months now. No one here is going to be able to answer that question here unless if they're part of the NavCanada HR Team.

Which is what I'm doing as well now that it's looking like they may be considering re-hiring and/or possibly opening up the intake pool in the near future.

v3sper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by v3sper »

I'm in the poll for an offer since Feb 2020, applied in July 2019, and since last message I ever received was the one saying : You've passed the interview, now you're in the waiting poll etc. I contacted the same person. She responded 30min later saying my application was good until july 2022, 36 months from the date you applied. Like atcthrowawayyy said.

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

Have they really extended the period before you can re-apply to 36 months now?? I feel like this kinda of sucks in case you wanted to do better on your initial online test. I wrote my online test in September, 2020 right before they cancelled hiring entirely. I felt really good about it, but I have not heard anything back despite rumours floating around that training might be resuming in the coming months (I realize it's super competitive and I should not expect a call back). At this point, I have graduated from university and I am pursuing a graduate degree in a field I enjoy, but ATC has always been a dream career. With the prior 18 months before your application was tossed, I would have been able to repeat the test AND update my resume in March 2022, now it looks like it'll be in 2023... I may write them an email to confirm. Am I correct in remembering that for invites to FEAST, they only care about how well you did on that first online test? Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by atcguy98 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGooseIsLoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheGooseIsLoose »

atcguy98 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:08 pm Have they really extended the period before you can re-apply to 36 months now?? I feel like this kinda of sucks in case you wanted to do better on your initial online test. I wrote my online test in September, 2020 right before they cancelled hiring entirely. I felt really good about it, but I have not heard anything back despite rumours floating around that training might be resuming in the coming months (I realize it's super competitive and I should not expect a call back). At this point, I have graduated from university and I am pursuing a graduate degree in a field I enjoy, but ATC has always been a dream career. With the prior 18 months before your application was tossed, I would have been able to repeat the test AND update my resume in March 2022, now it looks like it'll be in 2023... I may write them an email to confirm. Am I correct in remembering that for invites to FEAST, they only care about how well you did on that first online test? Thanks a bunch!
It appears that the period has been increased to 36 months. I wouldn't be too concerned about having your waiting period extended. As a former trainee, I am much higher on Nav's priority list and I have heard next to nothing since I was let go. It sounds like training will be resuming fairly shortly but they are going to focus on prior employees first so I can't see them running another FEAST session for some time yet. FEAST is usually quite a large group of people so I think if you passed the inital online test you have a good shot at being invited when the time comes. Keep going with your education, having a back up career saved my ass when I was let go by Nav. Anything can happen and you aren't necessarily safe, even if you do get your license, as we have found out over this past year.

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:32 pm It appears that the period has been increased to 36 months. I wouldn't be too concerned about having your waiting period extended. As a former trainee, I am much higher on Nav's priority list and I have heard next to nothing since I was let go. It sounds like training will be resuming fairly shortly but they are going to focus on prior employees first so I can't see them running another FEAST session for some time yet. FEAST is usually quite a large group of people so I think if you passed the inital online test you have a good shot at being invited when the time comes. Keep going with your education, having a back up career saved my ass when I was let go by Nav. Anything can happen and you aren't necessarily safe, even if you do get your license, as we have found out over this past year.
Thank you, that's reassuring and I hope all the best for you getting a call back!
Yea, the online test being the barrier to entry for FEAST was the main worry I had with the timeframe being extended to 36 months. In case you just happened to do poorly, you're out of luck for a whole 3 years. As for a resume (if you make it far enough for them to look at it), I guess you can always ask to submit an updated one since 3 years is a heck of a long time. But hey, I guess we'll see and fingers crossed for everyone!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”