The media and covid.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: The media and covid.

Post by ReserveTank »

Old fella wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:03 am
Inverted2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am ...........but flying thousands of liberal voters in weekly from India is ok. :roll:
Wow..... that’s quite a take :rolleyes:
Perfectly reasonable take, actually. They're doing the same in the southern USA as we speak. Go to any Texas border town's airport and see for yourself.
They're bussing the teenagers from the detention facility to the airports. They have liaisons that make sure they get on the right flights to second tier cities in the south.
The rules for unaccompanied minors changed immediately prior to this, including a "quiet" change of custody.
Those kids will be able to vote in 1-2 years.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am ...........but flying thousands of liberal voters in weekly from India is ok. :roll:

What makes you think they can vote before they gain citizenship?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

ReserveTank wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 pm
Perfectly reasonable take, actually. They're doing the same in the southern USA as we speak. Go to any Texas border town's airport and see for yourself.
They're bussing the teenagers from the detention facility to the airports. They have liaisons that make sure they get on the right flights to second tier cities in the south.
The rules for unaccompanied minors changed immediately prior to this, including a "quiet" change of custody.
Wow again..... flabbergasted, then again I continue looking at this site strictly for entertainment purposes. Certainly not disappointed though as some of you posters do indeed live up to yer billing as top box- office comedian acts at the ongoing AvCanada concert. Have at’er and keep going with the comedy productions , truly priceless, lots of laughs and worth tuning in.
If the curtain has dropped, tis intermission time so it’s off to the bar for a Garrison Irish Red ale. I eagerly await lights dimmed, call to return to theatre second, third ,fourth..... acts.

By your leave :drinkers:

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Old fella wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:52 pm
ReserveTank wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 pm

Wow again..... flabbergasted, then again I continue looking at this site strictly for entertainment purposes. Certainly not disappointed though as some of you posters do indeed live up to yer billing as top box- office comedian acts at the ongoing AvCanada concert. Have at’er and keep going with the comedy productions , truly priceless, lots of laughs and worth tuning in.
If the curtain has dropped, tis intermission time so it’s off to the bar for a Garrison Irish Red ale. I eagerly await lights dimmed, call to return to theatre second, third ,fourth..... acts.

By your leave :drinkers:
I wish third world gerrymandering were just a comedic act.

Those kids aren't being tested for COVID. We're all ok with that now?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am Well let’s close golf courses and outdoor activities but flying thousands of liberal voters in weekly from India is ok. :roll:

https://nationalpost.com/news/amid-surg ... -in-canada

Flights from Delhi continue to land in Canada despite India’s daily tally of COVID-19 infections surging to a record over the weekend — and amid the emergence of a new “double mutant” variant in the country.

A federal government website that lists flights where someone has been confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19shows that from April 4 to April 16, there were 120 flights with a COVID-positive passenger or passengers.
Time to pivot on the travel policy. It's apparently not working for anyone.

India? Red Zone, ban all passenger flights.

ME? 99% India connecting traffic and Emirates is upgauging to 380s, ban all passengers flights.

Brazil? Other run away "Red Zone" jurisdictions? Ban all flights.

US? EU? Japan? They're doing better than us, what's the risk? Open it up, no covid hotels, rapid testing on arrival, shortened self isolation with additional testing to clear.

Barbados? Bermuda? Caribbean Islands? Same. Maybe no sale of package all inclusives. No group tours. Open flights up, rapid testing on arrival, self isolation with additional testing to clear.

Full Green Zone? Taiwan? Aus? NZ? Unrestricted arrivals for passengers.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:28 am
Inverted2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am Well let’s close golf courses and outdoor activities but flying thousands of liberal voters in weekly from India is ok. :roll:

https://nationalpost.com/news/amid-surg ... -in-canada

Flights from Delhi continue to land in Canada despite India’s daily tally of COVID-19 infections surging to a record over the weekend — and amid the emergence of a new “double mutant” variant in the country.

A federal government website that lists flights where someone has been confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19shows that from April 4 to April 16, there were 120 flights with a COVID-positive passenger or passengers.
Time to pivot on the travel policy. It's apparently not working for anyone.

India? Red Zone, ban all passenger flights.

ME? 99% India connecting traffic and Emirates is upgauging to 380s, ban all passengers flights.

Brazil? Other run away "Red Zone" jurisdictions? Ban all flights.

US? EU? Japan? They're doing better than us, what's the risk? Open it up, no covid hotels, rapid testing on arrival, shortened self isolation with additional testing to clear.

Barbados? Bermuda? Caribbean Islands? Same. Maybe no sale of package all inclusives. No group tours. Open flights up, rapid testing on arrival, self isolation with additional testing to clear.

Full Green Zone? Taiwan? Aus? NZ? Unrestricted arrivals for passengers.
I’m not sure if this would be effective as it just seem reactionary and not proactive. Covid seems to be a monthly flavour of hot spots as it makes its rounds. We have seen china, Italy, the UK, NYC, Florida, Brazil, Ontario etc all getting hit with high cases at different times. We would literally be changing the restrictions monthly following where cases are peaking, but the virus spread was happening in the weeks before the surge showed itself. It’s to late to react and make it meaningful no?

As the virus makes its rounds immunity develops. Places like Texas seem to have some natural immunity mixed in with vaccines and be more in control because of that. I would guess Brazil will look the same in a month with significant decline as the virus has less hosts to live on.

Makes me wonder if we would have had more success in the long term with the herd immunity approach. By prolonging the pandemic and hiding from the virus we now have mutations. Are people getting covid more than once?

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

For the folks that want to shut down more international flights.

We have 3 day quarantine at hotel + 10 day quarantine at home and have to provide 3 tests (pre departure, on arrival and 10 days later). What is your solution?

It’s been proven statistically 99% of all infections are community. By the way, the passengers will still get to canada either way, instead they will get rebooked on a connecting foreign airline, but CBC won’t mention that.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think the statistic is that on a per country basis, of flights with covid positive tests on arrival, India and UAE (India connecting) make up the overwhelming majority.

I'll try to find the article...

I don't want more restrictions, but in hind sight we should have restricted Chinese flights a year ago. So let's pivot, India is like 250,000 covid cases/day right now. Stop the flights. Taiwan and Australia are like zero, open it up. US and EU are lower than us, adjust the policy, no covid hotel, continued testing and self isolation still apply.

It's as much about optics as anything. Make it clear, say you're outright blocking flights from the areas with the largest outbreaks and majority of covid flights, and adjusting restrictions to place where it's in control as well or better than here. The public can understand that policy.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I guess the optics work, those passengers will just connect with another foreign airline.

I don’t think most Canadians would be ok relaxing quarantine restrictions even with low risk countries, the polls support that. That’s the problem we face.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am I don't want more restrictions, but in hind sight we should have restricted Chinese flights a year ago.
Remember when trump blocked flights from China and the Democrats made Trump out to be a racist. Pelosi went out to China town in SFO to show how safe it was. Do you really think Trudeau would block flights from China? Is our health top priority or is politicking number one?

Speaking of Democrats and liberals who always make the front of embracing diversity while conservatives must be racist, check out pelosi’s statement yesterday after the trial.
9AF30CA9-8E06-402B-921B-A28384D33E1D.jpeg
9AF30CA9-8E06-402B-921B-A28384D33E1D.jpeg (400.69 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
WTF? Was Floyd murdered or was he an activist who sacrificed himself for the betterment of the black community?

Back on point. Hindsight we will learn nothing. Next pandemic politics, racism etc will all be the forefront before policy protecting health is concerned. Just like how Trudeau was out protesting with BLM in the summer when we had zero people vaccinated. Today we are at 25 percent of people vaccinated with at least one dose, however anti lockdown protestors are being arrested. Interesting how that works. Trudeau can be out protesting BLM last year, but today we can’t organize and protest...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

montado wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 am Remember when trump blocked flights from China and the Democrats made Trump out to be a racist.
He blocked flights from China, and he's a racist. There's not really any dispute about those two facts, is there?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

sanjet wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:19 am I guess the optics work, those passengers will just connect with another foreign airline.

I don’t think most Canadians would be ok relaxing quarantine restrictions even with low risk countries, the polls support that. That’s the problem we face.
Perhaps.

It also takes leadership, and that's a problem we face.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

photofly wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:47 am
montado wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 am Remember when trump blocked flights from China and the Democrats made Trump out to be a racist.
He blocked flights from China, and he's a racist. There's not really any dispute about those two facts, is there?

I think we are all racist, liberals just try harder to pretend they aren’t. We all have biases.

As for Trumps policy to block flights, I guess we can have it both ways. It was racist, but in hindsight it was also the right thing to do if you value slowing the spread of the covid virus.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

montado wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:04 am
I think we are all racist, liberals just try harder to pretend they aren’t.
Maybe liberals just try harder not to be.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

US Embassy now advising against travel to Canada:

Do not travel to Canada due to COVID-19.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Canada due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Canada. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Canada.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

photofly wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:12 am
montado wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:04 am
I think we are all racist, liberals just try harder to pretend they aren’t.
Maybe liberals just try harder not to be.
Or maybe conservatives are too ignorant to realize it.

Or maybe we can stop blaming people based on their political worldview, and instead rely on their moral character. That would be better.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Aviatard wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17 am US Embassy now advising against travel to Canada:

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Canada due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Canada. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Canada.
As I usually say, "Thanks for the advice."

Interesting that Canada is one of the hardest locked-down and pro-masking countries on the globe, but cannot stop the spread. The measures don't work or the numbers are coming out of their arses. Can't have it both ways (and be sane).

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ReserveTank wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:05 pm
Aviatard wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17 am US Embassy now advising against travel to Canada:

Interesting that Canada is one of the hardest locked-down and pro-masking countries on the globe, but cannot stop the spread. The measures don't work or the numbers are coming out of their arses. Can't have it both ways (and be sane).
What spread?
Isn't it all a Fake News conspiracy and the hospitals are empty?

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pm
ReserveTank wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:05 pm

What spread?
Isn't it all a Fake News conspiracy and the hospitals are empty?
Hospitals were overloaded prior to corona. Canada's measures are strict. You guys blamed the sun destination travelers. They cut the sun destinations and the (numbers) increased. If the measures worked, there wouldn't be an increase.

Another way, if the measures were effective, why the increase of numbers? Nobody can go out and do anything anymore. The spread risk is very low.

You do understand what a contradiction is don't you?

We're far out of the realm of epidemiology and firmly into rhetoric. Conspiracy? Suffice to say that in the recorded history of rhetorical practices that "experts" have been cooking numbers to the public for political purposes. This has been the way for at least 2500 years.

Those who can't remember the past...et al.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Has anyone noticed this trend?

I have three people in my extended family who won’t go get a vaccine right now even though they are eligible. They are “vaccine shopping” and will only go if they can get the specific ones they want.

Like what the @#$!! These three people are the ones who have been pro lockdown, pro mask, and pro vaccine like a cnn headline since day one. These ass holes were okay with taking away everyone’s freedoms and they were okay to mock people who didn’t want to take vaccines. Now they are the ones shopping around for one. Media and hysteria. Imagine being afraid to take the astra vaccine after millions of people take it and only a handful get blood clots. You could probably name a dozen drugs on the market with way more risk including birth control pills.

I’m kind of furious with this attitude. Go get you damn vaccine. Especially after a year of preaching to me about how we need to follow rules and trust the government. The only way out of this hysteria is a damn vaccine. Lockdowns and masks won’t save you. Go get your shot... the first one available. You don’t deserve the right to choose a vaccine if you believe in the “all in this together” lockdown and mask regime.

Return to “Covid”