Are you vaccinated?

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.

Are you vaccinated?

Yes, first dose only.
45%
Yes, both doses .
22%
No, not yet.
3%
No, and I don't plan to.
30%

Total votes: 212

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Are you vaccinated?

Post by co-joe »

Just looking to get a picture of where aviation professionals and Avcanada degenerates alike are, on the getting poked.
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Are you vaccinated?

Post by telex »

Don't be a weirdo. Mind your business.

Is your next poll asking who has the HIV?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

telex wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 pm Don't be a weirdo. Mind your business.

Is your next poll asking who has the HIV?
Ha ha ha, I considered an "are you getting wifi or HBO in your brain now that you have the micro chip implanted?" question. I'm just honestly interested.

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

Huh. I find it somewhat concerning that almost 50% of folks replying (who should represent a reasonable cross section of pilots in Canada) seem to be in the anti-vaxxer camp.

And, much as magic and pixie dust makes airplanes fly, I'd like to think that MOST pilots have a fairly strong belief in, and understanding of, science.

As such, it's really tough for me to understand these numbers. Talking with other folks around our hangar, I'm seeing a lot of this firsthand. And I try HARD to push the Public Health / pro-science position on this... but there's only so much one person can do.

Anyway....

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

No and never

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

northernpilot2 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:42 pm No and never
Why? The reason that we are where we are in the West today is in large part due to massive medical advances, and at least a few centuries of embracing science. Vaccines rank with antibiotics as the most important advances in medicine in the last century.

The absolutely incredible thing with the COVID vaccines is that in around a year from the detection of a particularly nasty, highly transmissible new disease, we have a number of safe, effective vaccines in production and available. The clear stars here are the mRNA vaccines, which have proven to be both very safe and very, very effective. Longer term, I think that mRNA technology will herald the next revolution in medicine, with amazing therapeutics to come. That aside for now, the COVID vaccines are amazing - and have the potential to knock this pandemic right down and allow some degree of return to normalcy...a new normal to be sure, but something more comfortable than where we've been the last year and a bit.

We are spoiled in the rich West - and may well be shooting ourselves in the foot by taking as much vaccine as we can now and allowing COVID to run rampant in the developing world. While that may be short-sighted, your government has purchased vaccine with your name on it - and the sooner you take the offered vaccine to protect yourself, your family, and your community, the sooner we'll get numbers down here (unless there's a super-variant emerging from the areas of the world with unchecked spread).

I said we were spoiled before, and I'll restate it again. Most of the world does not have the luxury of picking and choosing their vaccines. Most people, most parents, especially in developing countries, would kill for vaccines for their children and themselves. That used to be the case here - but a few generations with no direct experience of the horrors of diseases cured by vaccines has made us complacent, and blind to the dangers out there.

All that to say - vaccines save lives in general. In this specific case, we have some of the best vaccines known to man available to us, to fight a real, and potentially very serious, and very transmissible disease... A disease that has both killed and maimed millions, and has disrupted the lives of billions - including career paths for many pilots in Canada. These are vaccines the world is scrambling for - and they are being offered to you, right now.
Not availing yourself of these vaccines, aside from any impact it may have on you and your family, only serves to increase the public health risk for the rest of your community, and prolong this pandemic.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I am, but honestly wondering why I bothered. There should be less restrictions for vaccinated people. That would really motivate people to get the vaccine.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

good god this is depressing. Half of you are anti vaxxers? No wonder this site has turned to even more of a dumpster fire than it used to be.

To the no and never crowd... why? And do you remember that time you had Smallpox? Measles? Mumps? Polio?
digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 pm I am, but honestly wondering why I bothered. There should be less restrictions for vaccinated people. That would really motivate people to get the vaccine.
It's not motivating enough to protect your community and yourself?
I WAS Pez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm Why? The reason that we are where we are in the West today is in large part due to massive medical advances, and at least a few centuries of embracing science. Vaccines rank with antibiotics as the most important advances in medicine in the last century.

The absolutely incredible thing with the COVID vaccines is that in around a year from the detection of a particularly nasty, highly transmissible new disease, we have a number of safe, effective vaccines in production and available. The clear stars here are the mRNA vaccines, which have proven to be both very safe and very, very effective. Longer term, I think that mRNA technology will herald the next revolution in medicine, with amazing therapeutics to come. That aside for now, the COVID vaccines are amazing - and have the potential to knock this pandemic right down and allow some degree of return to normalcy...a new normal to be sure, but something more comfortable than where we've been the last year and a bit.

We are spoiled in the rich West - and may well be shooting ourselves in the foot by taking as much vaccine as we can now and allowing COVID to run rampant in the developing world. While that may be short-sighted, your government has purchased vaccine with your name on it - and the sooner you take the offered vaccine to protect yourself, your family, and your community, the sooner we'll get numbers down here (unless there's a super-variant emerging from the areas of the world with unchecked spread).

I said we were spoiled before, and I'll restate it again. Most of the world does not have the luxury of picking and choosing their vaccines. Most people, most parents, especially in developing countries, would kill for vaccines for their children and themselves. That used to be the case here - but a few generations with no direct experience of the horrors of diseases cured by vaccines has made us complacent, and blind to the dangers out there.

All that to say - vaccines save lives in general. In this specific case, we have some of the best vaccines known to man available to us, to fight a real, and potentially very serious, and very transmissible disease... A disease that has both killed and maimed millions, and has disrupted the lives of billions - including career paths for many pilots in Canada. These are vaccines the world is scrambling for - and they are being offered to you, right now.
Not availing yourself of these vaccines, aside from any impact it may have on you and your family, only serves to increase the public health risk for the rest of your community, and prolong this pandemic.
What he said.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Not everyone on Avcanada is a pilot.

I got my vax. Excited for normal, excited to travel. I don’t really care what choice other people make with the vax. Data doesn’t lie. Masks don’t work, vaccines do.. I’m not going to wear a mask like a dummy forever.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Yup, sure am. Second needle of AZ coming my way next week, I am a firm believer in the science of vaccinations. As a youngster in the ‘50s my life was spared from ravages of Polio, TB et al because of inoculations - thanks Science for having my back.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Calling people who don't want the covid vaccines antivaxxers is incorrect and doesn't help anyone.

I am sure a lot of people wouldn't have wanted to get the measles or mumps vaccine within 3 months of it being available.

Protecting yourself or your community is obviously not a strong enough reason for most, as there is a surplus of vaccines in Manitoba and probably other spots in Canada.

Right or wrong, the perceived covid risk doesn't seem to outweigh the perceived vaccine risk. Relaxing restrictions for vaccinated people could tip the scale in favor of the vaccines.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

The risk of covid constantly decreases the more people are vaccinated. However if you are air crew or want to travel you will likely go places where covid risk is higher.

How many people have been killed by a covid vaccine? How many people have died of covid? How many people got the vaccine, how many got covid? I don’t know how ones perception could be so illogical, but I’m going to go out and say my perception is that if I had to choose one or the other I would choose to get the shot and not covid :lol:.

I have my quarrels with some of the pandemic “science”, but vaccines aren’t it. To me, it would look really dumb to get covid and end up hospitalized when a vaccine has been available to you for 6 months and you choose to refuse it. But like I said I accept people deserve to make personal choices... I couldn’t care less what others do, I think freedom and choice is important, the same way I’m against forced mask wearing.

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bil Derberg »

Why would I get vaccinated against something that kills 1% of people who get it, and 70% of the people who got the virus were obese. Id rather trust my immune system than some bio weapon
I WAS Pez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm
northernpilot2 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:42 pm No and never
Why? The reason that we are where we are in the West today is in large part due to massive medical advances, and at least a few centuries of embracing science. Vaccines rank with antibiotics as the most important advances in medicine in the last century.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

I WAS Pez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:38 pm Huh. I find it somewhat concerning that almost 50% of folks replying (who should represent a reasonable cross section of pilots in Canada) seem to be in the anti-vaxxer camp.

And, much as magic and pixie dust makes airplanes fly, I'd like to think that MOST pilots have a fairly strong belief in, and understanding of, science.

As such, it's really tough for me to understand these numbers. Talking with other folks around our hangar, I'm seeing a lot of this firsthand. And I try HARD to push the Public Health / pro-science position on this... but there's only so much one person can do.

Anyway....
Why would you push hard to have an experimental substance that you know nothing about injected into my body?

I'd appreciate it if you could advise of your medical qualifications to support your position.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

I WAS Pez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm

I don't have all the time to read this shit. How about you just mind your own business and let others decide for themselves? You don't feel safe from the un-vaccinated? that's your problem. Go wear 5 masks, hazmat suit, gloves and whatever or just hide under your bed until you feel safe.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I don’t believe for a second that half of the people in aviation aren’t going to take the vaccine. The thing is, the anti-vaxers or vaccine hesitant people are always hot and horny to let everyone know they aren’t going to take it and can’t resist an opportunity like this forum to let everyone know. FWIW most of my friends are involved in aviation and I don’t know anyone who hasn’t had their first dose.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I think the vaccine hesitant just want choice. The way the government has reacted and acted this past year 100 percent makes it very difficult to trust them. I completely understand why people feel the way they do. The government doesn’t deserve any compliance and has made so many missteps along the way. They have used fear as their primary tactic. I didn’t want a vaccine, not for a logical reason but because I was angry. I came around to it because I found a way to get over my anger about it and move on. Happy times ahead. My third arm is fantastic and I really like to boosted cell signal with 3 bars at F380.

If the government would @#$! off with policy and give people choice, maybe some people would come around to the vaccine, maybe not. I don’t support mandatory vaccine, I don’t support vax passports, but we may not get the choice if we want to travel to other parts of the world.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:35 pm Calling people who don't want the covid vaccines antivaxxers is incorrect and doesn't help anyone.
They aren't Anti-vaxxers they are just pro-disease. I am not nor do I pretend to be smarter than the scientists that developed or the doctors that recommend these vaccines. I was lucky enough to get both doses early on flying medevac. I have flown many covid patients over the last year and a half who instead of being offered a vaccine are now dead. Why don't you guys plug your anti-vaxx stance in your next pax briefings that will put everyone at ease.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Yes, thankfully. Second dose scheduled.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

2112 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:48 am
digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:35 pm Calling people who don't want the covid vaccines antivaxxers is incorrect and doesn't help anyone.
They aren't Anti-vaxxers they are just pro-disease. I am not nor do I pretend to be smarter than the scientists that developed or the doctors that recommend these vaccines. I was lucky enough to get both doses early on flying medevac. I have flown many covid patients over the last year and a half who instead of being offered a vaccine are now dead. Why don't you guys plug your anti-vaxx stance in your next pax briefings that will put everyone at ease.
How many of those patients were healthy young people?

Return to “Covid”