From last year's heroes, to this year's enemy

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

From last year's heroes, to this year's enemy

Post by Bil Derberg »

Next stop, box cars.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
20210922_180408.jpg
20210922_180408.jpg (464.46 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: From last year's heroes, to this year's enemy

Post by enbt »

Like this?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.6185369

172 Windsor, Ont., hospital staff suspended without pay for not getting COVID-19 shots

Suspended workers have until early October to get 1st first shots or face termination
About 172 staff members at Windsor, Ont., hospitals have been suspended without pay for not getting their COVID-19 shots by the deadlines set out by their employers.

Windsor Regional Hospital (WRH) and Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare (HDGH) both have policies mandating that as of Wednesday, Sept. 22, all staff and physicians must have had at least one dose of the vaccine to continue working unless an approved exemption is provided.

Vaccination deadline coming for all Erie St. Clair healthcare employees
WRH confirmed in a news release that 96 per cent of its employees are fully vaccinated, but as of Wednesday, 140 employees plus seven professional staff members had not complied, with 84 of them considered clinical staff. The staff who have not complied are now also placed on a two-week unpaid leave.

An official at HDGH confirmed the hospital has a 96 per cent vaccination rate. However, as of Wednesday morning, 32 employees have been suspended without pay.

The CEO of WRH said the decision was made to put the safety and well-being of patients, the community and team members first.

"We're very pleased that 3,398 of our employees or 96 per cent of our employees are doubled vaccinated or are following the policy," David Musyj said during a media briefing Wednesday.

Windsor Regional Hospital chief of staff speaks with employees about vaccine concerns

Despite the shortage on staff, Musyj said the hospital is prepared.

"We'll be able to cope without them, I hope," he said.

"As it stands now, having them continue with us, the risk is too high given the statistics and given the type of population Windsor Regional Hospital cares for."

Windsor hospital monitors staffing levels amid vaccine policy rollout

Karen Riddell, chief nursing executive at WRH, said her team has been working for months on staffing contingency plans and have been able to up levels.

"During the first wave of the pandemic, with us not having access to the vaccine, we saw a significant impact to our staffing and to our bed capacity because of outbreaks," said Riddell.

"Those outbreaks really occurred because we don't have the tools we do now, including the vaccine to help prevent transmission."

Windsor-Essex public health CEO asks for patience as vaccine passport program rolls out
Riddell said she hopes more employees will choose to get vaccinated.

Meanwhile, the suspended employees at HDGH have until Oct. 6 to get their first vaccinations, or face "termination with cause," according to a representative.

Staff at WRH have until Oct. 7 to do the same, or face termination or having their privileges suspended.

Erie St. Clair hospitals agree to same policy

All five Erie St Clair hospital organizations in southwestern Ontario — including Bluewater Heath in Sarnia, the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance and Erie Shores Healthcare in Leamington — agreed to the same policy.

However, each hospital set its own deadline on the vaccination policy.

As of Wednesday, Chatham-Kent Health Alliance is reporting 88 per cent of staff are fully vaccinated, while another five per cent are partially vaccinated. A spokesperson for the hospital explained that 95 per cent of all physicians there are fully vaccinated.

The Chatham-Kent hospital said they have given staff members until Oct. 31 to be fully vaccinated.

At Erie Shores Healthcare, staff and physicians who have not been fully vaccinated are getting COVID-19 tests twice weekly. The hospital has given its staff until Oct. 4 to provide proof of having received at least one vaccine dose.

The hospital said as of Wednesday, 95 per cent of staff have at least one dose.

No details were available Wednesday about how many staff at Bluewater Health have complied with the policy. The hospital's deadline is Oct. 31.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Let’s Go Brandon
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Last year they were calling me J love... Now they all be calling me J murder... Shits getting crazy. You are only essential until you are the problem... All them anti vax a big problem right now, until we find a new problem, TBA.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm Image
That's dumb. The vast majority of healthcare workers not only got vaccinated because they understand that it's the right thing to do; they strongly urge everyone who can to get vaccinated.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

This whole thread is just dumb. Not surprising, but completely devoid of intelligent discourse or reasoned arguments. Unfortunately it’s kind of what I’ve come to expect.

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bil Derberg »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm Image
That's dumb. The vast majority of healthcare workers not only got vaccinated because they understand that it's the right thing to do; they strongly urge everyone who can to get vaccinated.
We've had 2 pilots at our base who both ended up in wheel chairs after taking the shot. Another Captain's father died after taking the second shot. We dont know what the long term side effects of these bio weapons are. Don't ever lecture me on "doing the right thing"

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bil Derberg »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:29 pm This whole thread is just dumb. Not surprising, but completely devoid of intelligent discourse or reasoned arguments. Unfortunately it’s kind of what I’ve come to expect.
"its dumb" because you dont understand it. You sound like a typical Encore pilot who picks up garbage for 39k a year

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Bil Derberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 pm We've had 2 pilots at our base who both ended up in wheel chairs after taking the shot. Another Captain's father died after taking the second shot. We dont know what the long term side effects of these bio weapons are. Don't ever lecture me on "doing the right thing"
I had the shits after flying Flair. It must be their fault because I want it to be.

The numbers say that the vaccine is very safe and that you're a [insert derogatory term].

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Bil Derberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 pm We've had 2 pilots at our base who both ended up in wheel chairs after taking the shot. Another Captain's father died after taking the second shot. We dont know what the long term side effects of these bio weapons are. Don't ever lecture me on "doing the right thing"
This post is Bullshit.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Bil Derberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 pm

We've had 2 pilots at our base who both ended up in wheel chairs after taking the shot. Another Captain's father died after taking the second shot. We dont know what the long term side effects of these bio weapons are. Don't ever lecture me on "doing the right thing"
Another one who doesn't understand that correlation doesn't mean causation.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

TG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:32 am

Until you want to win an argument! Then totally correlation is exactly causation and that is basically the definition of science today!

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

*doesn't always mean causation.

Where do you base your assumption that he doesn't understand?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

BigQ wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:29 am

*doesn't always mean causation.

Where do you base your assumption that he doesn't understand?
Popping up with 3 "Examples" with zero back story and assuming straight from the bat "It's because of the vaccin"
Do I need to make a drawing too!?

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

TG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:11 am Popping up with 3 "Examples" with zero back story and assuming straight from the bat "It's because of the vaccin"
It's reminiscent of the guy who died in a COVID related motorcycle accident. https://wpde.com/news/nation-world/man- ... 07-18-2020

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

broken_slinky wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 am
TG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:11 am Popping up with 3 "Examples" with zero back story and assuming straight from the bat "It's because of the vaccin"
It's reminiscent of the guy who died in a COVID related motorcycle accident. https://wpde.com/news/nation-world/man- ... 07-18-2020
It reminds me of the "vaccines cause autism" argument that was spread not too long ago by the same people who are spreading this crap.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

It absolutely boggles my mind when any or organization bureaucracy tries to use the "Keeping other safe" mantra for getting the vaccine. It's patently false and completely off the mark.

Since this vaccine doesn't express any T or B cells in the throat mucosae, it has a very minimal effect on transmission. It's just a prophylaxes that's effective for reducing the severity of symptoms and keeping the infected out of the ICUs. Carriers can have similar viral loads and contagious windows, albeit very slightly reduced. There are varying studies that anyone can cite but this is the ongoing and developing consensus.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 am It absolutely boggles my mind when any or organization bureaucracy tries to use the "Keeping other safe" mantra for getting the vaccine. It's patently false and completely off the mark.

Since this vaccine doesn't express any T or B cells in the throat mucosae, it has a very minimal effect on transmission. It's just a prophylaxes that's effective for reducing the severity of symptoms and keeping the infected out of the ICUs. Carriers can have similar viral loads and contagious windows, albeit very slightly reduced. There are varying studies that anyone can cite but this is the ongoing and developing consensus.
It's actually quite simple and the answer is in your complaint.

The reduced severity (and duration) of symptoms means a reduced risk for everyone around you. That is two points, so let me break it apart:
  • Less virus coming out at a time means reduced risk to those around you
  • Less time that you are contagious means less people around you who are put at risk

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

It's very minimal, that's the crux of my opinion. And also, purely in my opinion, nowhere near enough to justify the encroachment on personal freedoms in situations like this.

On a side note, it amazes me when we hear these cases of large groups of hospital workers (1000's in NY as well) refusing to take the vaccine. Your average virtuous citizen keeps saying "Oh they should know better, being in the health care field", yet they themselves are not. Maybe instead of judging those who have a better, front line understanding of the situation (As is their actual career) people should be respecting their decisions instead.

But, I digress... Back to the topic.

The vaccines protect the infected, it doesn't do much for transmission, yet that's not the message that's being delivered to our public once the data is out of the hands of scientists, and interpreted by elected officials and media, and messages disseminated to the population.

Source- though I don't work in a lab anymore, (Or a cockpit for that matter these days) I used to, and have a Bio degree.

I just think people should be given more personal choice. Vaccine work, masks work, and lockdowns work, but the only real weapon against this fight is time. Spanish Flu had a 2 year duration in North America and so will this.

Cheers.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Bil Derberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 pm
Capt. Underpants wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:29 pm This whole thread is just dumb. Not surprising, but completely devoid of intelligent discourse or reasoned arguments. Unfortunately it’s kind of what I’ve come to expect.
"its dumb" because you dont understand it. You sound like a typical Encore pilot who picks up garbage for 39k a year
You’re wrong by a factor of 10 - and change. I take comfort in knowing that you couldn’t possibly work for my operation because you’d never get past the personality profile screening. I can here the assessor now. “Don’t hire this one. He’s your next accident.”

Return to “Covid”