Air Canada pilot refuses to get vaccinated, in peril of losing job

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada pilot refuses to get vaccinated, in peril of losing job

Post by imjustlurking »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:06 am
737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:27 pm When we had no vaccines, we had fewer cases than we do now that over 80% of the populous is vaccinated.
Again, we now have a much more transmissible variant of the virus circulating within our population. The fact there has been so few hospitalizations relative to the case numbers is a testament to the effectiveness of the vaccines.
PostmasterGeneral wrote:
Like I said above, I. Don't. Care.

Get the vaccine or don't, it doesn't affect my life whatsoever, so I go on living it how I choose to. The last two years have probably been the most relaxing for our entire family.
You should care. If nothing else, consider your family in this case. If we were to remove all restrictions like Alberta did, we'd likely end up in a similar predicament. Imagine if one of your loved ones got into a serious car accident and required an ICU bed for treatment. However, all the surplus beds have already been taken by anti-vaxxers due to COVID, preventing your loved one from getting the treatment they require. Are you beginning to see how this might affect you?
Again, I don't care. Nothing I can do about it, so I don't let it concern me.

What exactly would you suggest I do about it anyways? Tell all the fat, lazy people stuck in ICU to stop stuffing cheeseburgers down their gullets long enough to go get vaccinated so their obesity and diabeetus doesn't kill them when they catch this wuhang flu? That's their choice to get vaccinated or not, you and I have ZERO say in someone else's health. If you're a healthy, fit person, catching covid won't kill you. Maybe they should start there.

I'd rather spend my time and effort making sure myself and my family are looked after, fed, and that we have money in the bank.

Situations like the one you described illustrate exactly why we need a two-tiered healthcare system here in Canada.
We get it. You matter to you and nothing else.
---------- ADS -----------

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:06 am What exactly would you suggest I do about it anyways? Tell all the fat, lazy people stuck in ICU to stop stuffing cheeseburgers down their gullets long enough to go get vaccinated so their obesity and diabeetus doesn't kill them when they catch this wuhang flu? That's their choice to get vaccinated or not, you and I have ZERO say in someone else's health. If you're a healthy, fit person, catching covid won't kill you. Maybe they should start there.
Firstly, you could get yourself educated. If you seriously believe this disease only affects the fat and lazy, then you've truly been living under a rock. By acting like this disease doesn't have the potential to cause serious, long-term health issues to anyone, you're only contributing to the misinformation problem.

Sure, healthy people are less likely to get seriously ill from this, but you have to remember people are using that claim as justification to not get vaccinated, only to find themselves in the ICU wishing they had.
PostmasterGeneral wrote: So, where does herd immunity "kick in" then? We're already over 80%. What's it going to take in your expert opinion?
I'm no expert, and I've never claimed to be. My principle argument has always been to listen to the experts. Right now, they're saying that that number has to be higher, all thanks to the delta variant. With Alberta as the example, it's clear to see it possible to open up when a sufficient percentage of vaccinated is reached, given the vaccinated are not the ones who're overwhelming the ICUs.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

mrwhale wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 am . I will not support aborted fetal cell line research.
News flash: If you're an adult in the Western World, you've probably had vaccines against Rubella, Polio, (Shingles - if you're old enough) perhaps chicken pox ... *all* of which were developed through 'aborted fetal cells'...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

mrwhale wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 am
Another pilot just died in the states a few days after the forced vax. This one was in flight.
https://www.redvoicemedia.com/2021/10/s ... -required/
Further, *BULLSHIT*: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Delta+pi ... mid+flight

Any other crackpot conspiracy theory websites you want to quote to bolster your poorly-educated opinion?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:24 am Firstly, you could get yourself educated. If you seriously believe this disease only affects the fat and lazy, then you've truly been living under a rock. By acting like this disease doesn't have the potential to cause serious, long-term health issues to anyone, you're only contributing to the misinformation problem.
I don’t believe it only affects fat and lazy people, it just doesn’t affect me. We’re all double vaxxed, and some of us, myself included, have already had the virus. I’ve had colds worse than when I had covid. Not worried in the slightest.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

mrwhale wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 am I also will not be vaccinated. The data is already out on mass clotting issues and permanent heart damage. Will only be time when you all lose your medicals. The way I figure it the vaxed have 6 months before they start dropping like flies. The ones left to keep flying will need to take some anti clotting approved medicine for the rest of your career. I will not support aborted fetal cell line research.

Another pilot just died in the states a few days after the forced vax. This one was in flight.
https://www.redvoicemedia.com/2021/10/s ... -required/

Wonder which airlines will have a large portion of their staff with short term and long term damage that will result in a great deal of their work force grounded.
No Delta pilot died in flight recently:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/delta ... %20Edition

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:35 pm I don’t believe it only affects fat and lazy people, it just doesn’t affect me. We’re all double vaxxed, and some of us, myself included, have already had the virus. I’ve had colds worse than when I had covid. Not worried in the slightest.
You're thinking about this too narrowly. As someone double vaccinated too, I'm not overly concerned by Covid during my day-to-day life. That said, the current restrictions in place are meant to prevent our healthcare system from being overwhelmed. A removal of mask restrictions, as you previously alluded to, would result in an Alberta-esque situation. I bring up the example again of a loved one needing ICU care due to a car accident. Can you not see the societal implications of there being insufficient beds to help those who require treatment? What the effects would be on your family? You might think you're immune to this situation, but you're not.

Again, the fastest way to being able to remove that mask restriction is to get more people vaccinated.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:35 pm
737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:24 am Firstly, you could get yourself educated. If you seriously believe this disease only affects the fat and lazy, then you've truly been living under a rock. By acting like this disease doesn't have the potential to cause serious, long-term health issues to anyone, you're only contributing to the misinformation problem.
I don’t believe it only affects fat and lazy people, it just doesn’t affect me. We’re all double vaxxed, and some of us, myself included, have already had the virus. I’ve had colds worse than when I had covid. Not worried in the slightest.
I had the flu once where it was like a cold but a bit worse.

I had a flu again a few years later and was unable to do anything except lay in bed, in pain, and complaining to myself because nobody was home for the weekend.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

mmm..bacon wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:38 am
mrwhale wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 am . I will not support aborted fetal cell line research.
News flash: If you're an adult in the Western World, you've probably had vaccines against Rubella, Polio, (Shingles - if you're old enough) perhaps chicken pox ... *all* of which were developed through 'aborted fetal cells'...
Yeah, but the antis like to ignore that science. You can add rabies, hep A and adenovirus to the list of nasties that have a link to fetal cell vaccine development.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:30 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:35 pm I don’t believe it only affects fat and lazy people, it just doesn’t affect me. We’re all double vaxxed, and some of us, myself included, have already had the virus. I’ve had colds worse than when I had covid. Not worried in the slightest.
You're thinking about this too narrowly. As someone double vaccinated too, I'm not overly concerned by Covid during my day-to-day life. That said, the current restrictions in place are meant to prevent our healthcare system from being overwhelmed. A removal of mask restrictions, as you previously alluded to, would result in an Alberta-esque situation. I bring up the example again of a loved one needing ICU care due to a car accident. Can you not see the societal implications of there being insufficient beds to help those who require treatment? What the effects would be on your family? You might think you're immune to this situation, but you're not.

Again, the fastest way to being able to remove that mask restriction is to get more people vaccinated.
Why do you keep mentioning that Alberta is going through some sort of crisis right now? I live in Alberta, and my wife works in healthcare. It's mostly business as usual out here, ICU's are certainly busy, but not at capacity. I know the media has made it into some big deal, especially the media out east, (geez I flicked on the news in Toronto the other day and you'd swear Albertans are dropping like flies.) I get that it's their job to make things seem newsworthy that really aren't, but I found it to be a littl excessive.

Anyways, I'm not too concerned with this whole thing, I think most of us are pretty sick of it and want to get back to normal. I disagree that the fastest way to do so is to get everyone vaccinated, because the data just doesn't support it. The more we get vaccinated, the more we're locked down, the more apparent cases go up, the more people allegedly die from covid, it just does not add up.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 am
737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:30 pm

Why do you keep mentioning that Alberta is going through some sort of crisis right now? I live in Alberta, and my wife works in healthcare. It's mostly business as usual out here, ICU's are certainly busy, but not at capacity. I know the media has made it into some big deal, especially the media out east, (geez I flicked on the news in Toronto the other day and you'd swear Albertans are dropping like flies.) I get that it's their job to make things seem newsworthy that really aren't, but I found it to be a littl excessive.

Anyways, I'm not too concerned with this whole thing, I think most of us are pretty sick of it and want to get back to normal. I disagree that the fastest way to do so is to get everyone vaccinated, because the data just doesn't support it. The more we get vaccinated, the more we're locked down, the more apparent cases go up, the more people allegedly die from covid, it just does not add up.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6194435

They clearly state that ICU bed counts have been increased due to COVID and that they are at more than 100% capacity.

But sure, your wife who "works in healthcare" knows everything that's going on. Just like how that employee throwing bags into my airplane knows what's going on at my airline.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Dude you are quoting CBC??!! Are you serious? Do you know what Pravda was/is in the USSR? That is exactly what CBC is in Canada. A mechanism of the state. It is like quoting CNN which is an outlet for the Democratic party. What a joke.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

palebird wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:29 am Dude you are quoting CBC??!! Are you serious? Do you know what Pravda was/is in the USSR? That is exactly what CBC is in Canada. A mechanism of the state. It is like quoting CNN which is an outlet for the Democratic party. What a joke.
You know what... I'll let the next guy tell you how stupid you sound.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

imjustlurking wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am
palebird wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:29 am Dude you are quoting CBC??!! Are you serious? Do you know what Pravda was/is in the USSR? That is exactly what CBC is in Canada. A mechanism of the state. It is like quoting CNN which is an outlet for the Democratic party. What a joke.
]

I don't think this is a case of merely "sounding stupid", this is a case of full blown conspiracy theorists nutjob. Go back to your Fox "News" hole and let the adults talk.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

porcsord wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 am
imjustlurking wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am
]

I don't think this is a case of merely "sounding stupid", this is a case of full blown conspiracy theorists nutjob. Go back to your Fox "News" hole and let the adults talk.
I think you wanted to quote palebird in that comment.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

imjustlurking wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am I think you wanted to quote palebird in that comment
I wanted to quote both of you, him for being stupid and you for giving me the idea to call him stupid. I stand by my quote, but in no means meant you were the stupid one in this dumpster fire of a debate.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Anybody who relies on CBC for anything is clearly out of it.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

palebird wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 am Anybody who relies on CBC for anything is clearly out of it.
I'm sorry that I offended you with the CBC.
ICUs are operating at 179 per cent of their baseline capacity.
[Source]

I'm obviously out of it.
without those additional surge spaces, provincial ICU capacity would sit at 155 per cent.
[Source]

How could I ever think that CBC would be a reliable source on anything other than Trudeau's socks?
The head of Alberta’s health system says the COVID-19 hospital crisis has become so dire, a key reason the system hasn’t collapsed is because patients are dying.
[Source]

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:41 am Why do you keep mentioning that Alberta is going through some sort of crisis right now? I live in Alberta, and my wife works in healthcare. It's mostly business as usual out here, ICU's are certainly busy, but not at capacity.
Both the heads of Alberta's Emergency Medicine and their nursing union have been unequivocally vocal about the crisis occurring there. Patients are having to be airlifted out due to ICU shortages. All elective surgeries are being cancelled. The cancer treatment of children is being delayed. Does this sound like business as usual to you?
PostmasterGeneral wrote: The more we get vaccinated, the more we're locked down, the more apparent cases go up, the more people allegedly die from covid, it just does not add up.
Correlation does not imply causation. Again, you keep discounting the fact that we're now dealing with a significantly more transmissible and deadly strain of the virus. The other reason Alberta has had to increase restrictions was due to their overly quick return to no restrictions during the summer, and their delay in reacting to an increasing number of cases this fall. Other provinces have done a better job of keeping the virus in check - it is possible.

Ultimately, we want to ease restrictions without overwhelming our healthcare systems. It's a balancing act of giving as much leeway as possible, while ensuring the unvaccinated don't inundate our hospitals and ICUs. As more people get vaccinated, the risk of the latter decreases, meaning more restrictions can be lifted.

Return to “Covid”