NEW TRAVEL Restrictions.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

NEW TRAVEL Restrictions.

Post by rookiepilot »

Reading this will apply to both canada and US, International inbound travellers.

Covid test at AOA for everyone.

Quarantine/ isolation, until follow on test / and or results come back.

Details still developing.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: NEW TRAVEL Restrictions.

Post by CpnCrunch »

As I suspected, Omicron seems to be nothing to worry about:

https://www.cityam.com/covid-death-rate ... perts-say/

In fact, it sound like it is very mild and very infectious, which is a very good thing as it will displace the more dangerous covid strains. We probably want to welcome it, although it's already here anyway.

Of course, trust governments to panic. The WHO is the worst offender with their hysterical press release yesterday saying it poses a "very high global risk".

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:44 pm As I suspected, Omicron seems to be nothing to worry about:

https://www.cityam.com/covid-death-rate ... perts-say/

In fact, it sound like it is very mild and very infectious, which is a very good thing as it will displace the more dangerous covid strains. We probably want to welcome it, although it's already here anyway.

Of course, trust governments to panic. The WHO is the worst offender with their hysterical press release yesterday saying it poses a "very high global risk".
Lol. Yup you’ve got it right after one doctor who has treated a handful of patients seems to agree with your position. (Confirmation Bias)

At this point it would be great if this is true for the points you’ve made but to come to any concrete conclusions in under a week of knowing this variant exists is laughable.

These new “restrictions” aren’t restrictions. It’s what we should have been doing all along. They should also have the infrastructure at this point to provide results in under 6 hours to prevent drawn out isolation/quarantine but they’ve been dragging their feet. Also makes the preflight test somewhat pointless.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

RIP airlines of Canada.

Looks like flight cancelations are rolling in as fully and triple vaccinated are now required to quarantine when they get back and have to wait for test results. This will definitely put a dent in the leisure travel planned for the Christmas holidays.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

AnonPilot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:04 pm Lol. Yup you’ve got it right after one doctor who has treated a handful of patients seems to agree with your position. (Confirmation Bias)

At this point it would be great if this is true for the points you’ve made but to come to any concrete conclusions in under a week of knowing this variant exists is laughable.

These new “restrictions” aren’t restrictions. It’s what we should have been doing all along. They should also have the infrastructure at this point to provide results in under 6 hours to prevent drawn out isolation/quarantine but they’ve been dragging their feet. Also makes the preflight test somewhat pointless.
My point is there is zero evidence that this variant is anything to worry about. My shitty source from cityam is the one and only source I could find that has any kind of data about mortality or hospitalisation from this variant. So why does the WHO feel the need to call it a very high risk when we have no idea if it is or not?

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:09 pm
AnonPilot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:04 pm Lol. Yup you’ve got it right after one doctor who has treated a handful of patients seems to agree with your position. (Confirmation Bias)

My point is there is zero evidence that this variant is anything to worry about. My shitty source from cityam is the one and only source I could find that has any kind of data about mortality or hospitalisation from this variant. So why does the WHO feel the need to call it a very high risk when we have no idea if it is or not?
I don’t know the inner workings of the WHO but with any new variant we should proceed with caution and collect data which will inform how we move forward.

This coming from someone out of the country who will be subject to the new measures when I return.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

AnonPilot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:33 pm I don’t know the inner workings of the WHO but with any new variant we should proceed with caution and collect data which will inform how we move forward.

This coming from someone out of the country who will be subject to the new measures when I return.

Should we lockdown for 2 weeks? What measure will be effective for the cautious approach?

There’s over a dozen unicorn cases in the UK with confirmed community spread. Why haven’t we shut down flights to Europe? Why half ass this, if we want to be cautious let the madness begin no? Why fake measure it?

“Proceed with caution” does this just mean pretend to do something without actually doing anything while we disrupt peoples lives again before the holidays?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:08 pm “Proceed with caution” does this just mean pretend to do something without actually doing anything while we disrupt peoples lives again before the holidays?
That’s what we’ve been doing for the last two years, at this point I’m not sure why we should expect anything different.

When you have a government that views their job of governing as that of a popularity contest, these are the inevitable results. Knee-jerk reactions done with the sole purpose of giving the appearance of doing something, regardless of whether or not it’s actually effective or supported by any concrete data.

Unfortunately, this may have the consequence of decimating the winter travel market, including the airlines that this government already loaned out billions to in order to keep afloat. I feel like experiencing deja vu, have we all collectively decided to go back to winter 2020 again?

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

How is asking people to take a PCR test on arrival upending their lives? It’s a pretty common sense measure that is somewhat effective. The travesty is that we are 2 years into this and we can’t return arrival results in under 6 hours.

This is an airborne virus here’s a non exhaustive list of measures that are effective.

Masks (indoors)
Improving ventilation
Vaccines
Robust testing
Contact tracing
Quarantine/isolation for positive cases.

Because the government hasn’t done a good job of managing this and some individuals believe they have no responsibility to the collective society we’ve struggled through this.

It’s also a difficult virus to manage because of asymptomatic spread and the higher r0

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

More transmissible and way less serious so hopefully the restrictions aren’t for too long. Lots still on layoff!

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/Ls7zy6_0Z2s[/YouTube]

Let’s Go Brandon
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

AnonPilot wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 amThe travesty is that we are 2 years into this and we can’t return arrival results in under 6 hours.
I'd say the travesty is that we're two years into this and people haven't clued in that they shouldn't be travelling recreationally until it's under control, which it clearly isn't.
This is an airborne virus here’s a non exhaustive list of measures that are effective.

Masks (indoors)
Improving ventilation
Vaccines
Robust testing
Contact tracing
Anti-maskers
Anti-vaxxers
Anti-sciencers
Anti-lockdowners (muh freedums! you done gone and squashed muh freedums!)

All of which make those measures much less effective. Sadly this forum of mostly professional pilots seems to include a lot of them.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:36 am
AnonPilot wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 amThe travesty is that we are 2 years into this and we can’t return arrival results in under 6 hours.
I'd say the travesty is that we're two years into this and people haven't clued in that they shouldn't be travelling recreationally until it's under control, which it clearly isn't.

Masks (indoors)
Improving ventilation
Vaccines
Robust testing
Contact tracing
Anti-maskers
Anti-vaxxers
Anti-sciencers

All of which make those measures much less effective. Sadly this forum of mostly professional pilots seems to include a lot of them.
Remember that the type of people who come on here are those with strong opinions and no friends.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Masks (indoors)
Improving ventilation
Vaccines
Robust testing
Contact tracing
Anti-maskers
Anti-vaxxers
Anti-sciencers

I read a good analogy about mask wearing today who could also apply to vaccination:
Think of it as the WW2 blackout, but where some individuals insist the blackout measures are an infringement on their liberties and prefer to take the risk on themselves. In fact they end up sharing the risk with those around them.

Another thing I read:
The sensible course from a epidemiological point of view would be to enact any measure while the research is done then to remove them if they prove to be unnecessary rather than to wait the outcome of the research to find out what you should have done....Weeks ago!

And last:
It is an encouraging sign that Europe didn't originally notice that the Omicron variant had already made it to its shores. If this new Omicron strain proves to be benign as has already been observed in a small sample from South Africa, then it could just well be our ticket out of this pandemic.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

who cares

go outside

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

'97 Tercel wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:56 am who cares

go outside
What do you expect when you click on these threads? you wacky sack of potatoes

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Masks (indoors)
Improving ventilation
Vaccines
Robust testing
Contact tracing
Anti-maskers
Anti-vaxxers
Anti-sciencers

Been travelling very often this past year and will continue to do it. You are free to stay in your basement and watch the CBC scare you to death. I will however enjoy life and enjoy the sun in other countries. Covid is so overblown its not even funny.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

RRJetPilot wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:21 pm

Masks (indoors)
Improving ventilation
Vaccines
Robust testing
Contact tracing
Anti-maskers
Anti-vaxxers
Anti-sciencers

Been travelling very often this past year and will continue to do it. You are free to stay in your basement and watch the CBC scare you to death. I will however enjoy life and enjoy the sun in other countries. Covid is so overblown its not even funny.
Same here. Our family had good travel year with a couple of fun sun vacations.

These people that sit in front of their TV and smartphone, clinging to the next words of a for-profit scientist--these are the antisocials that finally feel enough clout to have their "revenge" on normal, active, outgoing people. They are so wrapped up in this new self-righteousness that they cannot detect and admit to the numerous contradictions surrounding official covid narratives. They finally feel some kind of value because they are "following the science," when they are simply being hoodwinked by the pharma industry like the midwits that they are. Social value is earned, nobody gives it away. Normal people know this in kindergarten.

At any rate, there's lots of sunny places that have official restrictions, but once you get there, they don't desire to burden you with it.

Return to “Covid”