Firefox shows outdated version

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Firefox shows outdated version

Post by Carrier »

We use Firefox on a MacBook Air with OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks and an iMac with OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan. For years we have used Firefox which is always kept current. The latest version of Firefox which is on both Macs is 78.11.0esr.

Firefox works fine on the MB Air. It used to work fine on the iMac. However over the past few months on the iMac a number of websites have sent messages saying: "Please update your browser", "Your browser is no longer supported", "Your web browser is out of date, please update your browser" etc. One website now refuses to work with my very current browser.

Although Firefox is supposedly the same on both Macs with the latest version and the same settings it seems that Firefox on the iMac is somehow incorrectly identifying itself. There have been several Firefox updates installed since this problem first appeared on the iMac.

I will appreciate some advice on where the problem is and how to correct it.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Firefox shows outdated version

Post by CpnCrunch »

The current version of firefox is 89, so it is hugely outdated on both your computers.

The problem is that El Capital is very old, and Firefox and Chrome likely don't support it any more. You'll need to update your Mac.

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

According to Firefox, Version 78.11.0esr is the current version for Mac and was released on June 1, 2021. I checked this on both of our Macs.

First on the MB Air I opened Firefox and clicked on "About Firefox". The window that opened advised "Firefox is up to date" and that it has Version 78.11.0esr. To the right is a link "What's new". I took a screen shot of this window.

I clicked on "What's new" and a new page of Firefox ESR Release Notes opened. This advises: Version 78.11.0, first offered to ESR channel users on June 1, 2021. This is the date on which both our Macs were last updated to the CURRENT release of Firefox, less than 3 weeks ago. I took another screen shot of this.

I then scrolled down on this Release Notes page to Mac Operating Systems for this release of Firefox. It lists the following: MacOS 10.9, MacOS 10.10, MacOS 10.11, MacOS 10.12, MacOS 10.13, MacOS 10.14, MacOS 10.15 and MacOS.11. I took another screen shot showing this.

I then opened YouTube as it is one of the websites that for the past few months has opened on the iMac with "Please update your browser". As always on the MB Air, this warning did not happen. It went straight to the YouTube cookies page.

Then I checked the iMac. It has exactly the same version that Firefox released less than 3 weeks ago. On opening YouTube the "Please update your browser page" appeared. I clicked on the "Remind me later" link at the bottom and it then went to the cookies page.

All info I can find indicates that our Macs have the same current version of Firefox that was released on June 1, 2021. As far as I can see all the Preference settings are the same. Somehow the Firefox installation on the iMac is giving incorrect version info to websites. I would like to know how to correct this on the iMac. Is there a particular version ID setting in Firefox that can be changed? Firefox must be sending something about versions to websites. What is it sending and where may it be found? It just needs correcting on the iMac.
Firefox 78.11.0 for Mac.doc
(232 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Ok, I didn't realise you were using the ESR release.

If you google "what is my user agent" it will tell you what version your browser is advertising to websites.

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”