desktop recovery question

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

desktop recovery question

Post by ehbuddy »

I am using a Compaq Presario with Windows XP.

On my desktop I have (had) files with photos and also in MY PICTURES I have photo files.

The last time I did a PC Recovery all of the files ended up exactly back where they had been. I had to do a Recovery again and this time the files did not end up on the desktop or in MY PHOTOS.

I explored and all of these files are still on the computer in the same files.

How do I get them back (the folders) into MY PICTURES and the Desktop again.
---------- ADS -----------

Clark Kent
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: desktop recovery question

Post by Clark Kent »

My best advice to you is that whenever you feel the pc is getting slow, reformat the whole thing from scratch. I usually do it every 6 months or earlier if required. It's not so painful but worth the effort. You might have a recovery partition on your computer already and everything is done mostly automatically. BE SURE to back up all your data on another drive. I've created a special folder on a external HD that has all my software, so when it's done eveything is installed quickly without any headaches!

I hope that helps!

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet
is fighting some kind of battle.
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Unfortunately not know what software you used it is hard to say where these photos have ended up. As your disk space decreases perhaps a recovery was not possible while still keeping all your other files due to space. Was there a warning about errors on the hard drive? If that is they case your hard drive may be creating bad sectors as it gets old. This bad sectors at one time had a file there however it can no longer be read.

At the end of the day I am afraid there is a very good chance that your files are poof gone :cry:

I always recommend especially with digital cameras to make multiple backups of important files. Documents like important photos, resumes, finance documents etc. Some great options for this are:

External Hard Drives for kind of important stuff
Photo accounts at places flikr for important photos that are not private

External Hard Drives that get stored in a safety deposit box for really important stuff
Paper for uber important stuff.

For example the most valuable file on my computer would be my log book. I keep a working copy on my laptop. This gets back up to my external hard drive and USB stick. A brand new never been used USB stick with said data goes into a safety deposit box with a paper copy of my log book.

Bad scenario: Laptop dies.. use external hard drive version on new computer
Worse scenario: House burns down but I had my USB stick on me, loose computer AND USB stick
Even Worse scenario: USB stick was damaged escaping fire
Apocalypse: The EMP pulse destroyed the USB stick in the safe deposit box I still have good ol paper.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

If I’m understanding correctly, you haven’t lost your files, you want to relocate these files to your
Desktop folders. Then do the following:
Click “start” and select “my computer”.
Right click “c drive” and select “explore”.
Locate the files/folders you would like to move to the desk top.
Right click the folder and select “copy”.
To the left on your display, locate “desktop” and left click it.
Locate the folder you would like to relocate the files to.
Verify the transfer/copy.
Go back to the folder/files on the c drive and delete them.
As others have mentioned, backup important files to external media (DVD/hard drive).

RyanJoseph
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RyanJoseph »

JakeYYZ wrote:If I’m understanding correctly, you haven’t lost your files, you want to relocate these files to your
Desktop folders. Then do the following:
Click “start” and select “my computer”.
Right click “c drive” and select “explore”.
Locate the files/folders you would like to move to the desk top.
To the left on your display, locate “desktop” and left click it.
Locate the folder you would like to relocate the files to.
Verify the transfer/copy.
Go back to the folder/files on the c drive and delete them.
As others have mentioned, backup important files to external media (DVD/hard drive).
I think this is really going to help..You have got to follow his instructions to relocate those missing files

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”