IPhone 4 use in NW Ontario on Bell

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

IPhone 4 use in NW Ontario on Bell

Post by 185_guy »

There must be some pilots who have frequented NW Ontario with an Iphone. A friend recently drove x/c and his Iphone (on Telus) hardly worked between YWG and YQT.
I know DMTS and TbayTel control the coverage like the mob over there.
The Bell page shows they have 'extended' coverage. Getting an answer from them on what that means is like pulling hens teeth.
I'd rather hear it from people who are there! Do you have an Iphone, with Bell in NW Ontario and does it work?
I don;t know much about this cell phone stuff, but am learning. DMTS uses a 2G network. Does your IPhone4 work in a 2G mode?

I can get a pretty good plan through an association which uses Bell. I have to get a YAM number although there is an unlimited long distance option that's only $15 a month. I plan to be living in YXL, traveling throughout most of Northern Ontario so a 'home' number means little at this point.

Thanks for any insight.
---------- ADS -----------

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: IPhone 4 use in NW Ontario on Bell

Post by Louis »

While I don't have specific answer regarding Bell's "extended" coverage, the iPhone has GSM 2G support. Not CDMA. (Two different and incompatible cellphone technologies.) (The iPhone 4S's radio does support CDMA in addition to HSPA, but it's one or the other, and Bell will not activate it as such. That option is used stateside only.)

Let me point you towards HowardForums, which is a Canadian-based cellphone discussion forum. This thread in particular has a little bit of info:

What does "Extended" Coverage Mean on Bell's Coverage Map?

Goodbye,

Louis

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: IPhone 4 use in NW Ontario on Bell

Post by 185_guy »

Thanks Louis
I never thought figuring out which cell phone to get would be so hard. It seems to be the case of figuring out the best way to bend over when (not if) you do get it from behind........
I can't believe Bell would not allow me to activate the CDMA part of the iphone 4s........what a waste of a versatile piece of hardware.

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”