PA 12 Super cruiser

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

icosco
Rank 1
Rank 1

PA 12 Super cruiser

Post by icosco »

Hello,

My father and I are interested in purchasing a super cruiser and was wondering what to look for and what to avoid. is the 180 hp the best engine for it? or the 160? any years to stay away from? we would be operating floats in the summer and wheel skis in the winter up in the yukon. just looking for a little bit more information from you experts!

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: PA 12 Super cruiser

Post by Cat Driver »

It is Pipers finest airplane...period. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

I have a PA-12 home-built in Nunavut. Straight floats in the summer and wheel-skis in the winter.

Look for one that has all the mods you want already installed, it's cheaper than adding them later. Flaps, VG's, extended gear and safety cables, Borer prop, extended baggage, PA-18 tail, etc.

150 hp can burn Mogas. My 160 hp burns a 50-50 mix of 100LL and Mogas. Not sure if you can get a Mogas STC for the 180, but if home-built you can burn whatever you like.

I'd definitely recommend you go the home-built (experimental) route. You'll enjoy the freedom to add mods and do maintenance that the home-built category allows.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Cat Driver wrote:It is Pipers finest airplane...period. :mrgreen:
I personally thought the PA-11 was the greatest Piper aircraft ever built. :D

And for bush flying, you're saying the PA-12 trumps the venerable PA-18?

I'm so confused now.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The PA12 is a three place which means it has more room in it.

It will not perform as well as a PA18 but it is a dream to fly...especially if you like side slipping.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

I just sold my Pa12 with all the Alaska mods,floats and skiis......it was a great performing machine......my strip is 800 ft at 2000 ft elevation ,the 12 handles that in all conditions no problem.....

The reason I sold it.....speed 80kts on floats and my cabin is 400 miles away.....it also had long range tanks for about 8hrs fuel or thereabouts .....

Buy one ready to go with the mod you want,adding them after is way expensive......watch for corrosion in the tail pipes and all over the airframe.

I still have the one I started to rebuild,and gave up on,with 40g into it and it's just a pile of pipe in the corner....I'd have had over a 100g into it by flight time and you can buy a good one for 70-80g....

I miss it .....but needed a 185 for the load capability and speed

Eater!

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

Cat Driver wrote:
It will not perform as well as a PA18 but it is a dream to fly...especially if you like side slipping.
They have a lesser angle of incidence than a PA-18. Not as STOL but they cruise nicer.

The internal room is a huge plus over the PA-18 and the aileron cables and control installation are a much cleaner arrangement than the Cub.
Cat Driver wrote: especially if you like side slipping.
The OP, with his big-engine options is doubtlessly going to be flap-equipped.
icosco wrote: years to stay away from?
They were only built for 2 years.

I have heard a discussion, in circles who were in the know, that there was a huge rift caused at Piper when they opted to discontinue PA-12 production and concentrate on the 18 and Pacer variants.

Personally, I love the 12.

CA

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Well, it was a lot more than that. Piper was in receivership and WT Piper and Sons and Walter Jamoneau were forced to the side while a financial whiz kid named Walter Shriver put Piper back on track.

The PA-15 was the K-car of Piper... nobody liked anything about it except the price. ...but it kept Piper from joining the dozens of other manufacturers who closed up shop in '48. They still needed the Cub because it was their bread-and-butter, outselling the J-5/PA-12/PA-14 by a considerable margin.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Lotro wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:It is Pipers finest airplane...period. :mrgreen:
I personally thought the PA-11 was the greatest Piper aircraft ever built. :D

And for bush flying, you're saying the PA-12 trumps the venerable PA-18?

I'm so confused now.
I think the -12 is as sturdy an airplane as the -18. The angle of incidence thing is often overcome by home-builders who extend the spar and add another rib to each wing, increasing the span by about 18-inches.

The extra room in the -12 is a big plus, as we are all a little (lot?) bigger now than folks were in 1947.

Many -12's have increased horsepower, -18 tail and flaps. The O-320, either 150 or 160 hp seems to be a popular choice

There's not much I dislike about mine, but I should have added the extended baggage when it was re-covered five years ago. More baggage space is always welcome, especially if you fly on skis and have to lug around a bunch of engine and wing covers and extra survival stuff.

The -12 may "cruise nicely" but it is still slow. 80 knots on floats if you are lucky.

You'll need extra fuel capacity if you fly much in the bush.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”