At a crossroads, need some advice

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: At a crossroads, need some advice

Post by awitzke »

Ha... well yeah I'd assume so. But 30 VS 50?
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I'm with JAC on this. If you've got the money, then sure, splurge on both the MIFR and the float time; if not, then just finish off on floats, and get the IFR at a later date ( next winter?).
FWIW, I did both, and started off on floats. A summer later, I had to renew my IFR, and found it much, much easier with another 300+ hours under my belt. The flying was pretty much automatic, because of the extra experience, leaving me free to worry about NDB intercepts, etc..

Good luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Thanks for the input. I'll be honest I'm really leaning towards that right now. Especially after spending the day looking up float ops in sask and manitoba as well as the NWT.

I figure after the float season ends, that is if I find work, I can always go get the IFR then, that is unless I want to jeep on flying floats which is almost completely certain. Any IFR job that I'd get with low hours would almost certainly be as an FO which is not what I'm after. I have some more float time booked this week, if I just commit I'll be done in two weeks. Then time to plan the road trip route.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

So here's one more question... I've been spending the day researching ops in Manitoba/Sask/NW Ontario. Would it be a better choice to drive that way, rather than north? Looks like there are a ton of places to hit up from Red Lake, to Souix Lookout, Vermilion etc. I'm sure either has their benefits but what from experience will maximize my chances of getting in a plane this year?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Well, figured I'd update those of you who gave input. I decided to put a bit more on floats and finish up on wheels. 2.5 left to go, which will likely be tomorrow and I'll finally after two years officially be a commercial pilot.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

30 vs 50 isn't really a big deal. Actual operational time vs rental time would make a difference, but otherwise, you still have no experience.

Personally, I would forget about the IFR for a few years until you are ready to go that way. A lot of pilots start on floats and go to the IFR road later, but I don't know of very many that started IFR and then got to float flying later on. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if you want to fly floats, commit to it now.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Thanks for the input. I did more or less what you said. If you see the post above you. I have 30 on floats now and the rest was topped up on wheels. So as of tomorrow I'll have my CPL with multi, floats and night ratings.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Well, plans change and as of Saturday I'm a group 1 IFR rated pilot. Fun stuff. Now time to get down and dirty looking for work.

jayceehi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jayceehi »

My .02Cents worth of advice......

Just enjoy whatever flying you get.....Floats, Skis....single engine....multi engine....Whatever.....
If you are doing it in the North, you are getting an experience that you will never forget...
35 years into it now and I have a great job on a 744 flying anywhere and everywhere...
I still have my nose stuck to the window flying over the NWT thinking about what a great experience the North was...So many friends and invaluable experience....This is where you really 'learn' to fly!!
Good luck
jaycee

trinotuta
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trinotuta »

Very interest post! awitzke, please let us know how the job hunt goes this season.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Job hunt was successful. Flying a Navajo full time, right seat. Been busy, 50+ hours already in the last two weeks and more to come.

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Congrats, I'm glad for you!

RB

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”