Bush pilots emergency pack

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Bush pilots emergency pack

Post by awitzke »

What do you recommend to add to an emergency backpack which you would keep with you in the plane. So far I have a few things in a small 15L sinchable superlight backpack (trying to keep the weight to under 2lbs)

http://www.backcountry.com/adventure-me ... DDM54-2_M1 <-- plan to add a few things to this like extra bandages and more ibuprofen.

http://www.backcountry.com/ultimate-sur ... DDM54-2_M1

I also have a leather man, life straw and some quick start fire stuff and a sleeping bag that stuffs to about a square foot of size and good to -20*.

Anything else you would recommend or take away?
---------- ADS -----------

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Bush pilots emergency pack

Post by PointyEngine »

.44 Mag and a good bottle of scotch...

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Ha... clever. Wouldn't be bad to bring my shotty but I doubt most operators would be ok with that.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is only for emergency situations but also in case say, weather rolls in and you have to land on a lake (if you're on floats obviously) and camp for the night.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

small kit of fishing tackle and maybe a telescopic rod. metal canteen. hatchet. rope is always handy.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

A deck of cards.

Crash, light a fire, break out cards and deal solitaire, and it'll be 5 minutes, max, before someone comes along to look over your shoulder...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

haha, thanks for the tip NS. Maybe I should learn how to play, eh?

Didn't think of a small fishing kit @ c-fdpb, that's a good idea. I'll add it to the pack. I also got a bit of dried food from MEC that should last a long time.

Best to always be prepared, and hopefully I'll never need to use the pack. Better safe than sorry.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

On a serious note, quite a few busy guys are armed with some sort of firearm, and not a dumb idea in some locations. My impression is most operators turn a blind eye, just make sure you take it out of the flight bag before you head south. "Apparently" it can get quite awkward with CATSA!

Also a big part would be how far north, and how remote is the terrain. Our company has sleeping bags and extensive first aids kits for use in cold remote regions. Something to keep your spirits up and pass the time waiting for rescue is always a top idea as well.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Yeah, well I'm trying to get rid of my 870 right now. It's a bird gun with a 30'' barrel and I want to replace it with a cheaper savage shotgun with a pistol grip and short barrel.. Figure I may as well bring it along if wherever I end up doesn't like the idea then I'll just lock it away.

As for how far north... southern NWT? I may end up in Ontario. Who knows as this point. I'll be embarking on a road trip soon to find a job, starting from Vancouver. Up into NWT/Ft. Simpson and east if that doesn't work out.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

The finest bottle of scotch you can afford, a tin of caviar and some sort of cracker. Also a good book.

E

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Well I don't drink and have never had a taste for caviar. But I can always appreciate a good book.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Small first aid kit Knife, matches and lighter, some tinder/tea light candle, survival blanket, tin cup, cordage and maybe a wire saw. Extras includefishing kit, snare wire, signal mirror, small compass. Keep it small light and buy a surveyors vest or mustang inflatable floater. Wear it every time you fly

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

PointyEngine wrote:.44 Mag and a good bottle of scotch...
I go with rum. Not so sure a 44 mag would be my first choice though. Better off with a 22. Or a 223. Best would be a lever action carbine in 357 mag......with some 38 special for bunnies.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

............anybody here got an opinion on what would be the best gun to have with you if you happen to bump into a bear out there?.....anybody at all?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Well you can't carry a restricted firearm in the bush, so my vote is a shotgun with bird shot, then two buck shot and finally a slug if you haven't scared it off yet.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Some remote operators / outfitters have got "apparently" been able to get permits to carry restricted weapons in the bush. Who, When or how? No Idea...

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

A small heavy duty 6x8 or 8x10 orange tarp. Roll it up tight with a few bungy cords. Rolls up about the size/girth of a bottle of wine and has numerous uses. Helps with a staying dry, getting up off of the cold ground, keeping your sleeping bag dry, and of course signalling.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

PointyEngine wrote:Some remote operators / outfitters have got "apparently" been able to get permits to carry restricted weapons in the bush. Who, When or how? No Idea...
Likely a variation of a "Prospectors License." They're out there, albeit rare.

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

Remember the Rule of 3's. Lack of oxygen kills you in 3 minutes. Lack of heat, 3 hours to 3 days, depending on the season and injuries. Lack of water incapacitates you in 3 days, kills you in a week. Lack of food, 3 weeks. I keep a Coast Guard approved 2-minute SCUBA style air bottle affixed to the yoke so I always know where it is if I'm upside down. Toss the fishing kit, invest in a great first aid kit and a first aid course, and an underwater egress course. Several independent, waterproof means of lighting a fire. Gerber or equivalent. Water filtration straw and a signalling mirror. SPOT pager if you can afford it. Bare bones 12-gauge if you are in bear country and the Operator allows it. Big-ass fixed blade knife if they don't. 24 hours of rations. Put it in a high-vis package that will float. Worst case: SARTechs are dropping out of the sky 36 hours post-incident, so don't pack like you're going to be in the bush for a week. If nobody comes in 7 days, assume zombies and start fashioning a fishing pole from wreckage and wiring harness. Good luck.

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!
C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

hence the spool of line and a few jigs/lures. For the zombie apocalypse.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”