After being out of aviation, how would someone sell themselv

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

After being out of aviation, how would someone sell themselv

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Hello everyone,

I was curious as to how someone would sell themselves on a resume after being out of aviation for 8 years, along with being a low time pilot (250hrs) and the bare minimum CPL, with a float rating?

I've been in the industrial industry for nine years, so I haven't been useless to society or anything, ive been a welder millwright for these last nine years, and have done very well for myself. I am just pondering the thought of "perhaps" head back into the aviation industry, although not 100% sure.

So the question is how can someone sell themselves without any aviation experience since acquiring their CPL from a college other than a bit of dispatching.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: After being out of aviation, how would someone sell them

Post by North Shore »

So, obvious questions aside ( why would you leave a decent job as a millwright to gamble it all on 'red' at the aviation roulette wheel?)
I would like to think that an employer would see your millwright experience as being valuable, and differentiating you from the 250 hour crowd... so, flaunt your millwright credentials...just don't be surprised if you end up designing and fabricating some new engine stands for your employer!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I don't know if I can explain it North but for some reason if you are working a job you did not choose and wish you were flying it consumes your thoughts.

I spent a decade where all I could think about was flying. It was mostly because I was not allowed or able to do it, depending on wether I was broke or just married. I was pretty crabby about it too.

Now I have kids, but since I am officially allowed to fly and in theory have enough money to rent a plane once a month it actually has somehow satisfied me to go do it occasionally. I only flew once last year.

Even though I hardly fly now and have a job I actually like, apart from the corporate abuses (they think I need to be there or they cant survive, yet I can't get a fifty cent per hour raise.) I occasionally think. "I should get my CPL. I could make a little more money and fly airplanes instead of driving minivans."

Sorry, it's not rational but it's there, airplanes are addictive. Oh, and I could have got you a nice millwright gig a few years ago if you wanted to stop flying to check out the green green grass on that side. :rolleyes:

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

You've explained it pretty well Pop...
It does consume your thoughts on a daily basis.

I'm not really convinced that I would gamble it all yet on aviation but was more curious if in fact my industrial credentials would help at all.
Millwright can be a decent job, but when your stuck in a mining smelter doing repairs wearing a respirator all day takes a toll on a could be pilot.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Pop n Fresh wrote:I don't know if I can explain it North but for some reason if you are working a job you did not choose and wish you were flying it consumes your thoughts.
Unless you're in a cotton field and its 1820, I'm guessing you're playing the same "choose your own adventure" game that we all are.

HFP...

Don't get me wrong, I wake up some days thinking I should have been a politician, or the leader of a successful rock band, or Warren Buffett or Jimmy Buffett. I am aware of those feelings. However, I am also aware of the fact that I don't like babies enough to kiss them, I never went further than the intro riff of Stairway to Heaven on the guitar, nor past an entry level business class in University and I don't hold my tequila well enough to pack away the margaritas while singing about it.

I had a friend once who just had to become a pilot, it was is passion, his life's dream and his destiny. Or so was the song he sang. Every time an airplane passed over he had to look up and gaze in wonderment. He eventually chased that to a cpl and was ready for his first job. When I found this individual an opportunity to head down the path, the job was in Fort Nowhere at -40, flying cargo that would go "pop" if taken above 9000ft in an aircraft that didn't have a button that made coffee appear. This individual isn't flying anymore, he's got a different career and doing just fine. It just wasn't worth it to him in the end and I respect him for knowing it.

You're going to have to want this enough to go past fantasizing about it on an aviation forum. It can be ugly out there and from what I read here, getting uglier.

I'd never look past a resume of a welder/millwright who was in pursuit of this career and who is willing to go all out in making it happen. I applaud it. Just make sure you're all in, or else they'll know it in a hurry. Many roads lead to Rome; just know thy self. Your current credentials won't hurt you one bit in my opinion. Use it to your advantage and highlight the work ethic that it takes to do your job. Don't sell a minute of it short of its value.

Good luck!

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

[quote="Changes in Latitudes"][quote="Pop n Fresh"]I don't know if I can explain it North but for some reason if you are [b]working a job you did not choose[/b] and wish you were flying it consumes your thoughts.[/quote]

Unless you're in a cotton field and its 1820, I'm guessing you're playing the same "choose your own adventure" game that we all are.

HFP...

Don't get me wrong, I wake up some days thinking I should have been a politician, or the leader of a successful rock band, or Warren Buffett or Jimmy Buffett. I am aware of those feelings. However, I am also aware of the fact that I don't like babies enough to kiss them, I never went further than the intro riff of Stairway to Heaven on the guitar, nor past an entry level business class in University and I don't hold my tequila well enough to pack away the margaritas while singing about it.

I had a friend once who just had to become a pilot, it was is passion, his life's dream and his destiny. Or so was the song he sang. Every time an airplane passed over he had to look up and gaze in wonderment. He eventually chased that to a cpl and was ready for his first job. When I found this individual an opportunity to head down the path, the job was in Fort Nowhere at -40, flying cargo that would go "pop" if taken above 9000ft in an aircraft that didn't have a button that made coffee appear. This individual isn't flying anymore, he's got a different career and doing just fine. It just wasn't worth it to him in the end and I respect him for knowing it.

You're going to have to want this enough to go past fantasizing about it on an aviation forum. It can be ugly out there and from what I read here, getting uglier.

I'd never look past a resume of a welder/millwright who was in pursuit of this career and who is willing to go all out in making it happen. I applaud it. Just make sure you're all in, or else they'll know it in a hurry. Many roads lead to Rome; just know thy self. Your current credentials won't hurt you one bit in my opinion. Use it to your advantage and highlight the work ethic that it takes to do your job. Don't sell a minute of it short of its value.

Good luck![/quote]

Very well said, you should of been a writer lol!!

Ya it's just things running through my mind, I currently get paid a decent wage, home every night and off weekends(well 95% of them) have the toys I want, just don't feel fulfilled in my career that I have been at for all these years, maybe I just need to look deep as perhaps I just need a new career into something totally different non aviation related nor in the millwright welder trade.

31 and not getting any younger!!!!!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:
Pop n Fresh wrote:I don't know if I can explain it North but for some reason if you are working a job you did not choose and wish you were flying it consumes your thoughts.
While I agree my owner is a little better than the plantation masters most of the time. Even though I regret signing a mortgage and putting on the rings, I am just too stubborn to quit.

The rest of your post is excellent and pretty close to my case. If I would have focused I likely could have become a musician or pilot. As for Rock Star or Air Canada captain. You would need to have a little luck and play the right corporate puppet games to make it there.

I might play more and get in a band but it never haunted me like trying to buy a light twin did. Somewhere deep down I knew I would be sent to the island of misfit toys with a CPL so I did not pursue it enough.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Ya it's just things running through my mind, I currently get paid a decent wage, home every night and off weekends(well 95% of them) have the toys I want, just don't feel fulfilled in my career that I have been at for all these years, maybe I just need to look deep as perhaps I just need a new career into something totally different non aviation related nor in the millwright welder trade.

31 and not getting any younger!!!!!
In a sense, you are in a good position, though...tuition debt paid off? Toys paid for? And a good 'Plan B' if things go sideways in aviation. Get out there and go for it. As you say, "31 and not getting any younger"...in 20 years do you want to be saying "51, and I wish I'd gone flying!" ( BTW, I didn't get my first paid flying gig until I was 31, and I think that I'm doing OK now, so you're not too old...)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifieddriver »

Well I dont have much of an experience to really give advice, but I have been working for the last 10 years too and not flying. It has consumed my life, and I guess there are a few of us getting up to 30 and really thinking hard about this. I made the decision to pursue flying, against my better judgement. It is a tough road right now, it has no promises, and nothing but crazy expanses. I have gone overseas for an interview (with no luck) and over $2000 later I am now getting ready to go on a Canada wide road trip, which probably will be even more $$$ My job supported my flying habits, paid for all my licenses and ratings, even some fun trips (Florida). But the more I got to try it, the more I craved to do this for a living. So far I am staying positive against a lot of negativity and doubts. I think if you put your mind to something and do it for the right reasons and follow your own instincts you will end up right where you want to be. The best part about it for us, we have an escape option to return back to our previous jobs.

Make sure you really think it through, as the first job actually flying the plane is almost an illusive dream and working on the ramp is not something that you might want especially after your income. Come up with a good cover letter, start renting again to gain some currency flying, read some books/do an online ground school to prepare for some potential interview questions, start with resume sending. If that leads to nothing, try what I am doing now and go on a road trip. Meet people, talk, network and hopefully land yourself a good job. See where it takes you!

Best of luck

GD

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by doan_1 »

Just came across this post, and at the risk of thread jacking, I'm in a similar boat and didn't think a whole new thread was necessary.

I'm now 34 with 193 of my 200 I need to achieve my CPL after making decision to go "all in" 3 years ago. I have worked in the electronics retail in one form or another since Jean Chretien was in office. It kept me a float through my 20s and used to pay well after all the bonuses, but it wasn't what I chose. Long story short; I grew up Ucluelet, and after the trade school I registered with after highschool for music production went belly up (taking my tuition with them) I worked at the local electronics and appliance store. I was good at sales, talking to clients and fixing all things gadget so I stuck with it after moving to Victoria at 21. Unfortunately I had 8 years of bad luck family wise and ended up financially supporting my mother and father while he battled cancer and until he finally succumbed at 29. Today I am working on getting this finished because the mobile phone industry just doesn't pay what it used to and flying has been in my heart since I could walk. If I am to make a crappy wage it might as well be in an industry I want to be in right? I have paid my own way through with a little help from a small inheritance and investment. A little debt but it will be under $5000 when everything is said and done for bare bones CPL.

I have no problem working outdoors (dad was a contractor, spent many a day on a roof putting down shingles or torch-down), camping outside in the rain doesn't send me to the nearest mall, and I prefer the back-roads to highways. I have great people skills and I think that would make me better suited to start dispatch, but that's just a preference if given the option of that or the ramp. Question is, when I complete (which I will be doing regardless since I am so close!) how are the prospects for someone in their mid 30s? I have no kids or even a significant other at the moment. I don't really have airline ambitions, low(ish), slow(ish) and wet/cold will be fine by me. I'd love to spend 3 more years working on endorsements and ratings out of my own pocket. But I don't think I have the time to make a decent and long term career if I start the job search then.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

doan... there seems to be a bit of a need these days for experienced seaplane drivers. I may suggest hunting for a spot in ON or MB etc when youve got the CPL and a float rating is pretty cheap. Totally doable. Some of the camps and operators actually like guys with a little life experience. Someone who could run a chainsaw, fix a wall or dock etc. Just go for it ;)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I am completely torn on this one. Rowdy is right, there are openings for float drivers and if you like the life it's a great way to not work in an office or a (cough) store.

But a millwright? Very good job and highly skilled... Can you buy your own airplane and fly it about for fun? Could you get tangled up with Air Cadets and fly a tow plane or teach gliders and... Still be a millwright?

I can't see giving up a great job to expose yourself to the vagaries (no, too weak, idiocy) of aviation.

Then again, I think you need to follow your passion because I guarantee that when you are on your deathbed you want to be as happy with your life as you could possibly have been and I suspect that bigger faster airplane you last flew won't be in the list.

I made some strange decisions in my life because I had dreams to follow (buy a groovy boat before I get too silly to climb ladders and go and visit all the fantastic places I had flown over when I was a Coast Dog) and that meant a less flamboyant retirement but boy, is it worth it!

Yeah, that's the answer! Follow your passion (just don't put "passion" in any part of your resume!)!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
CropDuster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CropDuster »

grass is greener on the other side as they say. Have you ever considered that you may be the issue? Take pride in what you do everyday, and maybe it won't be boring? Do you think it will be any different in an Airplane? do you think flying airplanes is all fun and games? You are not the first one to try it and realize how wrong they where with their expectations. Flying is hard work, boring work and many other things. You will fail in Aviation thinking this is a easy life!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

That title is so misleading. :evil: I thought you were looking how to sell yourself in the very literal sense...the unspoken skill of the streamer crowd. You know, the kind of sell yourself on a resume

...will work for nothing
...will wash the bosses car, buff his shnauser, date his ugly daughter, if you promise me a right seat position
...will never snag an airplane
...capable of living on generic KD for extended periods of time
...will promise not to send out a resume for at least 24 hours after receiving a PPC.

and that is just off the top of my head...professional pilots getting into the business are typically adept at back stabbing skills, networking to strangers , resume carpet bombing..etc. .all important in selling yourself.

Seriously,
You got some good advice here. I got the same advice. I never listened to it. Buy yourself a little milling machine, put it in your garage, and keep up your skills. I am certain if things do not work out for you , you have an excellent fall back.
But for many of us, flying is not about what we do, but who we are.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

The best thing to do is highlight the skills and experience you have gained while working in whatever other industry you have been in. Show how while you are still considered "low time" it would be beneficial with your job/life experience to hire you over a younger applicant who may have gone into flight school right out of HS.

You would defiantly be a good applicant for a bush job up north. There are some places up in NWT (not Yellowknife) that hire new pilots. And with your mechanical background and age would be someone they would look at for sure.

Do that for a few years, then see what your options are. Go back to a city, fly IFR.. move up the ladder etc. etc. or stick around in the bush and make that a career.

Another option, go get your helicopter license (not hard if you have a fixed wing lic.) and apply at a place like OpsMobil. Get paid to fly to gas plants and operate them, then fly out. Get your P Engineer cert. and you would make a very good living from that.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”