Flying in Red Lake, On.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flying in Red Lake, On.

Post by Pilot@123 »

Hey,

So I am heading up to Red Lake this summer for a job flying floats. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or things to keep in mind when I am up there. Never been before so any tips would be helpful.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flying in Red Lake, On.

Post by C-FDPB »

Fishing rod is mandatory, leatherman, maybe some bug spray for starters. Dry feet are huge when you're up in the northern outposts for up to a week at a time. Good boots and lots of socks. a good rain jacket goes a long way. If you're looking for good priced pints check out the legion. A little more info. There's two grocery stores there. A sobeys in Red Lake and another one in Balmertown. Prices were generally a bit cheaper in Balmertown. Two banks Scotia and CIBC. When I can think of more I'll update.

cheers

DPB

Last edited by C-FDPB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

Show up with a good attitude, if this is your first float job don't act like you know how to fly floats because you really don't have a clue. Red Lake is your usual small northern Ontario town. I had a good time there.

The LCBO is closed on Sunday but you can buy beer any day at the grocery store in Balmertown. On crappy weather days go to the lakeview for breakfast and you'll meet some of the local pilots. Don't deposit your american tip money into your bank account because you get a better rate if you open a US dollar account, and its free.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Did you already secure a job or are just planning to head there to find work?

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot@123 »

awitzke wrote:Did you already secure a job or are just planning to head there to find work?
I have already secured a job there.

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot@123 »

Thanks for all of that by the way. Much appreciated.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I suggest good green tag boots for the bush. The first time a drum rolls on your foot, you will thank me.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
JungleMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JungleMonkey »

I really liked Red Lake. It's like the west coast (without the coast part) but has more bugs and less restaurants.. The flying pay is similar.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

At the risk of sounding condescending, I have some advice about living in little towns like Red Lake. You need to be aware that everybody who lives there knows more than you might think about the local flying scene. The locals all know your boss pretty well, are probably either good friends with him or at least they think they are. You're going to be an outsider, even among the other pilots if they've worked there for more than a couple of years. Even though your first flying job will be very exciting, try to take it all in stride and try not to do any boasting. Keep the "flying" talk to a minimum in mixed company.

It's not that you need to be ashamed of being a float pilot: on the contrary, it is a very respectable job... it's just that while your situation may seem unique to you, every person who lives in that town has seen millions of guys like you. They've seen guys like you who have gone on to be legends; and they have seen guys like you who have become a laughing-stock in very short order. The key is to be quiet, friendly, don't bad-mouth ANYONE, especially any owner, other pilot, engineer, or local floozy. Work hard and learn your trade. If you can be like this, you will have no trouble making friends, meeting girls, earning respect. If you can be cool, you won't be an outsider for long. Don't let anyone at the Lakeview hear you boasting about aeroplanes.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy, but I learned all this the hard way. Smaller communities can be really amazing places to live and work, they can also be a living hell if you turn out to be the company idiot or loudmouth.

Oh and also, there's a Tim Hortons there. I've never met an engineer who didn't like donuts, and I've never met a pilot who regretted getting on the engineer's good side. Getting the engineers to like you is just as important as getting the other pilots to like you. The chief engineer's opinion of you is just as important as the chief pilot's opinion. But while you're blasting around in your 185 and bursting at the seams to tell everybody all about it, they are working away keeping the machines running, don't get tips, and work the same kind of long hours you will. Sometimes longer because they can work at night. Remember: don't boast, try to help, and bring donuts. I'm serious.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

If you can be like this, you will have no trouble making friends, meeting girls,
What do you need to do to meet the floozies?

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Like I said, be cool 8)

Do you disagree, .?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I love the float flying scene in NWO. Every year during the spring thaw someone calls me up to see if I'd be interested in going back. It's not easy turning them down. Sure the work was hard at first but the rewards are there once you get some decent time. In the years before I left I was renting a cabin on the lake where I would take the boat to work and fly piston pounders all day. Drinks on the dock with the boys after work, and if the yanks I flew didn't provide me with any fish during the day I'd catch my own on the way home. Softball in the evenings, beach on the day off, bonfires, fish frys, and girls in bikinis... why did I leave again?!?!

Handling cold wet ropes is hard on the hands. Buy some neoprene thermal gloves, you'll thank me later.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Do you disagree, .?
No not at all, especially the floozies. :mrgreen:

Inuvik had the riding academy instead of floozies. :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”