Flying for hunting and fishing outfitters.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Planebloke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flying for hunting and fishing outfitters.

Post by Planebloke »

Hi all,

I have done a bit of searching on here, just trying to find some information on Hunting and fishing outfitters that operate their own aircraft. Found a few fishing camps with float machines but really fancy a tail wheel machine flying hunters about next season. If anyone has any info or has flown for these kind of operations I would be very interested in listening to what you have to tell me. I have tail wheel and float time, keen fisherman and hunter.

feel free to pm me

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flying for hunting and fishing outfitters.

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I don't know of many tail wheel operators out there. One I can think of operates out of Norway House MB (Molson Air Service maybe?). He has a tail wheel Cessna but I don't know if he hires or just does the flying himself. Gillam Air I think operates a C185 tail wheel plane that they operate on floats in the summer but I could be wrong.

Fishing lodges I am knowledgeable about are Bolton Lake who operate a float plane. Gunisao Lake operate a Cessna on wheels for the fishing season. Alair out of St Theresa point flies some hunters and fishermen on a charter basis.He operates two pipers. Lakeside aviation does charters/scheds in a C206, PA31 and C208 for charters.

That's all I can come up with for now.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Most outfitters have their own OC, and run a couple of Cubs or the like. I don't know of a single one that doesn't run tail draggers, all of the extremely capable bush aircraft needed for that work are tail wheel. Generally the larger aircraft flying demand is covered by a local charter company, and the smaller, technical work is done by the outfitter.

I would seriously doubt that you will find a direct entry flying job with an outfitter. Your best bet would be to find one you want to work with, and start guiding for them. They typically don't hire pilots, they hire people that can do everything. If you happen to be sitting there when a flight needs done, great. It is not an easy world, it sounds romantic but the work is hard, the flying is challenging, and most of them have wrecked at least one aircraft.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Your best bet is to try to get a job at a float operator that works through the winter. Like Slate Falls Air. Get some wheeled experience, maybe fly floats next year for them and then move up to a Beaver after a few seasons. Then the doors open if you have time on a Beaver.

Planebloke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Planebloke »

Thanks for all the help will certainly follow up on the leads you have given me, I have Beaver/Cessna piston and turbine float time, and C185, and some cub time on wheels and own a little tail dragger. Pretty handy with the tools, work in the hanger in the off season. Will try to get in with someone up North, would love to get a shot at ski's one day and just be part of the hunting/fishing industry.

Thanks again

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

I have heard over the years that a low time pilot with their small engine / outboard maintenance ticket often finds their resume on the top of the stack. I myself don't have it, but so I've heard.

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Very true. learn how to swing a hammer, lay roofing tiles, set up a solar battery power system, hang a door, install a window, troubleshoot a waterpump/water heater, know how to tune a two stroke and four stroke carb (and clean them), and be willing to do whatever needs to be done to make sure the camps are always up and running.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

And be prepared to get paid less than an actual camp maintenance guy who doesn't have to fly. Also be good with a lawn mover, know how to sharpen a chain saw, restring a weed eater, fix leaky boats, stack firewood after cutting carrying and splitting it 300 yds. Be able to not count this extra work as part of your duty day so you can stay legal, ....Oh ya, being able to build, repair and paint cabins, including leveling etc.....

Hey what a glorious job for $3k a month for 6 months/

Hey. I'm a BUSH PILOT

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”