Jet Fuel

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Jet Fuel

Post by oldtimer »

At most southern airports, Jet A or Jet A1 is the usualtype of fuel dispensed. Does any refueler ever dispense Jet B?
I was lead to believe that it was mostly helicopters and aircraft operated in the Arctic that used Jet B.
Any comments.
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
springlocked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jet Fuel

Post by springlocked »

I have not seen Jet B around for many years -- even in helicopters all I ever see is jet A1 these days --

Confliction
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Confliction »

We used to haul it around a fair bit for choppers north of 60. There are definitely some caches of it around the north but not sure how easy it is to buy it now.

I seem to remember it's basically just heating oil.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Confliction wrote:
I seem to remember it's basically just heating oil.
Jet fuel is kerosene based, close to heating oil. Jet B on the other hand is pretty much jet a wide cut with gasoline to give it a higher heat. There isn't much B south of 60. Jet B is more unstable than jet a.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

ok here is a bit of history on the jet A verses jet B saga

JET 'B' is very close to military jp4 >airforce ole timers will sometimes argue the point , it is a wide 'cut ' fuel with a much lower freezing point -55C WITHOUT ADDITIVES than STRAIT JET A ( JET A-1) GETS CLOSE TO JET B)

1) It used to be the prefered avaition turbine fuel by northern Canadian operators both fixed wing and rotory . because of the being a naptha based fuel content which is more volitile >lower flash point = good in very cold country. as previous poster described but that property allows excellent starts in very cold Canadian climes.

JET B has a couple of down sides in the modern world

a) less mass so less btu's per liter or gallon 1.82 pounds per liter verses 1.85 pounds per liter for JET A1

b) since 2002the national defence department in canada, choose to go with one fuel type JET A >ERGO Imperial oil (esso ) the biggest refiner of jet b lost its biggest customer effectively dooming JET B to the history books.
c) due to that volitility ( lower flashpoint ) since 911 perceived as more a hazard

Parlkand fuels in alberta I belive still can provide Jet b in bulk however not sure what the contract volume or price would be these days.

IN CLOSING JET B IS A CLEANER FUEL the enviro weenies made a error in that ( put a jet a burning plane against a jet b plane and see which has the cleaner exhaust stream after 50 hours )
with -45 c temps and a cold soaked chopper or 200 kingair jet b will light off without killing the battery// jet a at that temp cross ones fingers hope your power to the pluggins didnt fail over night.

Fly safe !! winters nearly here omg wheres the jet b :mrgreen: check the engine tents extension cords /wing covers and all your winter kit your ass may depend on it at the most unexpected time

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”