Pilot + AME

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pilot + AME

Post by Keppen »

Hello;

I am curious how much a possibility a dual role position (pilot/AME) is anymore.

I started out pilot but ended up out of work when the economy went down so I went to school for AME. Maintenance experience is on the low side but I have seen and helped with most of the maintenance on aircraft I have flown as well.

Obviously this post is in this section as I wish to work floats/survey/remote areas.

Any hints or tips of where to look would be great!
---------- ADS -----------

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pilot + AME

Post by crazyaviator »

BE VERY CAREFUL when considering a combined role, as its quite easy to be abused. The renumeration also aught to reflect the combined role (with an AME licence ) . You MUST manage fatigue wisely and learn when to say NO

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

MOST reputable companies want either an AME or a pilot NOT BOTH ( Rotary wing is different )

Good LUCK !!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The days of dual role employees are over. However, be a pilot when there's work and AME when there isn't.

You cannot do both at the same time in a commercial operation safely and efficiently.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

You cannot do both at the same time in a commercial operation safely and efficiently.
YOU CAN ! I have done it the past 2 years. Personal management ( time/fatigue ) is very important ! You MUST be the sort of person who knows when and how to say No AND be good at both flying AND maintenance!

Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Keppen »

crazyaviator wrote:
YOU CAN ! I have done it the past 2 years. Personal management ( time/fatigue ) is very important ! You MUST be the sort of person who knows when and how to say No AND be good at both flying AND maintenance!
I know it still does happen but you sure don't hear about very many people doing both at the same time. Would be great to hear from others who do both and how the 2 blend together.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

2 things to consider, when transitioning from wrenches to flying and vice versa, you must be in the mindset for it, if you are not , tell another pilot to take the flight and continue wrenching and vice versa.
Doing both roles can lead to 1 less level of protection ( safety) and there is a higher chance of coercion with the upper powers because you may decide to monitor a problem instead of grounding it and fixing it !

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Fly all day,wrench half the night - that's not a recipe for a fatigue related accident in a commercial operation.

Daryl

Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Keppen »

BGH wrote:Fly all day,wrench half the night - that's not a recipe for a fatigue related accident in a commercial operation.

Daryl
Yea that's not how it happens. Unless you somehow moonlight a job which would still be illegal.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

crazyaviator wrote:
You could but you're doing 2 half jobs. I have seen way too much bullshit from pilot/mechs to make it worth it.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

You could but you're doing 2 half jobs. I have seen way too much bullshit from pilot/mechs to make it worth it.

You CAN do 2 full jobs BUT you can be abused and screw up too !!!

Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Keppen »

As you can imagine the main reason for not wanting to give up on flying is to maintain currency while at the same time obtaining my AME license. Of which even if i could fly a fraction of that time (fly out save a plane/re positioning flights etc) that would be very welcome to me.

That being said one job i heard of in the Caribbean was 50% flying 50% fixing given an 8 hour day. It also happened to be float plane operations. Changes of scenery are very nice compared to being stuck in the same place doing one job.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”