185 and 2960's. Glassy grief

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tsinger
Rank 0
Rank 0

185 and 2960's. Glassy grief

Post by tsinger »

Well I've read a lot about the float differences but I have experienced this. I trained for my private licence on a 180 up grossed with Aerocets. 90 hours Total. Thought I got a basic feel for most situations. I bought a 185 on 2960 Edo last year. MAjor feel difference on the glassy water. I find the landing attitude is a lot more nose down on those Edo's. A little disconcerting. Like landing flat. And man do those things dig hard on glassy water. Had a little situation last week with the left grabbing a microsecond first. Yikes! Also likes to porpoise on the step upon touch down if slightly nose high. So I'm Learning. Always. I keep taking my instructor up as much as possible. Some experienced insight into Technique or tips on learning the small sweet spot on touch down.

What say you all?

Tim in Penticton
---------- ADS -----------

Randy Hanna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 185 and 2960's. Glassy grief

Post by Randy Hanna »

It's rare I reply on posts such as this but what you have described in glassy water experience
Is certainly dangerous and you need to get more instruction immediately as well as review your w&b 185 configuration.

Please pm me or call 1-855-WeFlyBc and ask for me before you fly it again.

185's on 2960's are not hard to land in glassy conditions.

Happy flying all.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Basically he's politey telling you that what sounds like a nose low attitude on a glassy water landing almost put you in the drink.You need a proper check out in your aircraft with someone familiar with the 2960's.
The 2960's have a narrow sweet spot but the 185 performs very well on them in the properly trained hands.

Daryl

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

This subject is very important as you can kill yourself and whoever happens to be with you unless you get proper training.
Is certainly dangerous and you need to get more instruction immediately as well as review your w&b 185 configuration.

Randy is 100% correct.
Randy is 100% correct.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

As the others have stated you need proper training with someone who knows the combination before something regrettable happens.
What airspeed, flap setting and descent rate are you trying to target on your glassy landings?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The most critical thing in a glassy water landing is the attitude at touch down.

And the most important issue here is one should get proper training on how and when to set up for the glassy water landing for the airplane you are flying.

Discussing it on the internet is not proper training.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
tsinger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tsinger »

Not sure what to say to all that. I'm already getting more training. Sorry I made people feel uncomfortable. Just looking for some encouraging insight.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I have a A185F on 2970s, like the others said they are great but they arnt like the huge floats you'll see on many trainers, small sweet spot and also you need to be a little more cautious with downwind operations on the water, but they are also the fastest you'll get for a skywagon.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Randy Hanna wrote:It's rare I reply on posts such as this but what you have described in glassy water experience

Please pm me or call 1-855-WeFlyBc and ask for me before you fly it again.

Happy flying all.
But when you do post its to plug your business in a fear mongering fashion.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

But when you do post its to plug your business in a fear mongering fashion.
I do not see his post as fear mongering.

And as far as teaching and understanding flying floats Randy in my opinion is one of the best in the business and few pilots in Canada have more sea plane time than Randy has.

Therefore I would respectfully disagree with your rather rude post.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

You dig some, you heal some. At least you know afterwards what you got wrong? I have trained guys with thousands of hours who scare me and don't even realize they have done anything wrong. Keep the wings level and the nose straight. Digging in itself won't usually flip you, but digging sideways could. Glassy Water is the tricky for many pilots. No different then going from VFR to IFR on a shitty day or an unstable approach in the IFR world. If you let the airplane fly you, it could end badly. Shit, After 2 decades of float flying, I still look for ripples to avoid Glassy Water when possible. I don't throw maps and life jackets out the window to create reference but I certainly don't seek out glassy water. It is true however that a basic float rating really only teaches you enough to be scary. Good Luck.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”