CONAIR questions

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Floatinghog
Rank 1
Rank 1

CONAIR questions

Post by Floatinghog »

Questions answered!

Hog
---------- ADS -----------

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CONAIR questions

Post by Marinth »

So I noticed Conair is hiring for the 2018 season now. I have a few questions, is the 500 multi PIC a contract requirement? Or is there a chance to get on with less, I'm sitting at about 3000 hours but only 200 hours or so multi pic(not currently building any). Also is there much movement at all there? What would a realistic timeline to captain be?
Thanks!

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

My understanding is that Conair isn't the place to build time. You need to come with experience, because you won't fly half the year and might not even fly much during the season if there aren't fires. You also need to come with IFR time for flying in smoke and pop up approaches and they prefer you have time in heavy aircraft because that's what you're likely going to fly........ infrequently.

Movement is very slow. There's an old guard on top who are taking their time retiring or moving on unless you come with a lot of float time and can get into a Fire Boss. I've known a few people who worked there and quit because there are better lifestyles and better chances for advancement elsewhere, though working half the year must have its perks.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

What's the actual lifestyle like during the work season? I know you wouldn't be home much, if at all, but would you not see your family for four months straight? Do you get regular days off? Do you change bases abruptly or do you know where you're going to be working pretty much all summer? Could your family camp out nearby for an extended period so you could actually spend a bit of time together when you're not flying, or is there too much uncertainty as to whether you'll be staying in one spot for long?

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

I have not worked there so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I talked to one of their pilots a few times this summer in social settings.
I think you are essentially on call at all times and have to be ready to head out within a reasonably short period of time. The pilot I talked to this year got around 50 hours in the 3-4 month stint up north. Pretty slow year (not BC).
I have heard that some guys have their families follow them around in the summer when the kids are young and when they arent flying they can be with family. But you can get pretty busy.
The pay scale seems to be fairly low the first couple of years but then gets much better in the 3rd year and beyond.
The flying sounds awesome and rewarding but the lifestyle is a deal breaker for me.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

If you can live, and make a life, in the community in which you are based most of the time, then firefighting is a good gig; if not, it can get old pretty quickly.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Floatinghog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floatinghog »

Has anybody heard back from the latest recruitment drive?

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”