Stall horns for beavers

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

bushwings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stall horns for beavers

Post by bushwings »

---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Stall horns for beavers

Post by Schooner69A »

Some discussion about it on Facebook.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Link to fb discussion?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Can't find it again. I commented on it. When I find it, I'll post.

J

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Kathy Fox FB conversation on Otter prang: https://www.facebook.com/search/str/kat ... kifQ%3D%3D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Why didn't they recommend angle of attack indicators?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Cost? Complexity?

A simple buzzer activating a few knots before stall will get your attention, don't need a weird colourful screen.

Plus, recommendations are more likely to be acted upon if they aren't overbearing. Just need to be effective.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

A simple buzzer activating a few knots before stall will get your attention, don't need a weird colourful screen.
But a simple buzzer will not tell you how close you are to critical alfa.

What angle of attack indicator is on a weird colourful screen?

Do you mean this one?

http://www.alphasystemsaoa.com/

That is what I have in my Cub Clone that I am planning to use for flight training because I personally think it is an awesome teaching tool.

But hey you are entitled to your own preferences I am only expressing mine. :mrgreen:

This subject got me to thinking and I can not recall ever stalling any airplane unintentionally including Beavers.

I have unintentionally stalled the Pitts and the Decathalon a few times while aggressively practising aerobatics but that is something that I suppose is not really unintentional because I was aware that I was at high risk of the thing stalling considering how I was flying it. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Cat Driver wrote:
This subject got me to thinking and I can not recall ever stalling any airplane unintentionally including Beavers.
Most people can't. Those who do it usually end up dead.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

If Beaver pilots are stalling out there are 2 problems: no training and incompetence.

I do remember looking for poachers with Fisheries officer (you can tell how long ago this was) in a 185 on floats, flying over Vancouver Island beaches at about 300.' We were in a tight turn over a group of people vacuuming up the beach (if you lived out here you would know what I mean) and the pax said look, behind us! I was tired, pulled hard to tighten the turn and the poor old 185 gave me a quick buffet and swapped a left bank for a right bank, but because I had practised this MANY times in my flying school with great guys like Ed Batchelor, I just recovered and we flew on. I'm not dead, stupid perhaps, but this is what training can do.

When I flew the Aerostar, at the beginning of the season during the first practise, we would intentionally do a high-speed stall in a turn with the forestry guy onboard to show them what it was and how easy it was to recover.

And . is correct, a stall buzzer on a Beaver would go off routinely when you maneuver, you would just tune it out as a nuisance. A stall-margin indicator, like that in a Firecat, a simple needle gauge and stick shaker which tells you accurately how close to death you are, or on the dash of a Dash 7 which tells you you are perfectly set up for a STOL landing, a much better indicator than a stall horn.

If you don't know how to recover from any stall event, if you never learned how to recover from a spin and you don't practise it, you are doing yourself a great disservice and putting your passengers needlessly at risk.

Turkish Airlines at Schipol? Air France in the southern Atlantic? Yes, it still happens.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
cessnafloatflyer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cessnafloatflyer »

Just set personal limits. I fly with a minimum bank speed: never less than x mph with never more than y degrees of bank and z amount of flaps.

In my 180 seaplane, never bank without 80 mph and at 80, never more than 30 degrees with 10 flap, period. Stall in a turn avoided.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”