Calling Any (all?) Nanaimo/BC Bush Pilots....

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

bushnoob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calling Any (all?) Nanaimo/BC Bush Pilots....

Post by bushnoob »

Been going through the forum, but haven't exactly found what I'm looking for (yet). I'm 35. Never flown a plane before. Looking to switch careers to either bush pilot or float tours/ferry. Are there any bush pilots here that live near or in Nanaimo that would be willing to meet and talk about their careers? The beer, coffee, lunch, whatever is on me. Just would like to meet someone face to face rather than the internet...call me old school.

Unless of course I shouldn't bother because I'm too old to start. I gather I need my PPL and CPL before taking a certified Bush program? Looking for brutal honesty here.

Cheers,

Jeff
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Calling Any (all?) Nanaimo/BC Bush Pilots....

Post by C.W.E. »

I live in Nanaimo and we could get together for coffee and some flying talk.

Thirty five is not to old to start, in fact there really is no age limit it is no different than learning to drive any piece of machinery.

bushnoob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bushnoob »

Thanks C.W.E. PM sent your way.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Is your plan to stay in nanaimo? The choices then are limited for career there.

HA if you can get lucky enough top eventually get a nanaimo base or seair (only two pilots there).

There is no 'course' that'll get you ready for it. You'll have to head out into the canadian northlands for a couple seasons to gain the experience required to come back to the coast.

No age limit..

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

As my other half tells me, I'm the only one who thinks I'm too old sometimes! 6 years ago I made the same decision as you and only 2 years younger. Now I have my CPL, float rating and I'm working. Where did I end up? Alberta starting to fly Pipelines. Well hopefully i'll be able to start logging time, still flying as a spotter waiting for my turn (a story for another time). To be honest I tried applying to float ops for over a year until I just started applying to any flying job while trying to network as best as I can. Now I am here. I'm in my later 30s and still plan to fly float ops in BC. I'm working hard at being the best pipeliner I can be and I will build float time on my own at some point. Either by getting more training with Randy at Pacific Seaplanes before next season or with someone here in the Edmonton area who'd like to help me build some time on their plane (hint hint to anyone listening)!

I think anyone, especially us islanders, need to be open about which path to what kind of flying we want. Starting on the coast is not impossible but not likely according to the aviation gods I have talked to. I heard that one guy worked the dock at YVR with a certain company for 2 years; paid for a 50 hour float course and eventually got on. But in my time digging around that's the only one I have heard of so far. Insurance is one obstacle for operators and to be honest a lot of the coastal guys get to pick and choose their pilots as a lot want to work where there is no thaw-out! I even have an in somewhere but they need me to have 750 hours with 50 floats just to satisfy their Insurance requirements. So I had to reconcile the fact that a year or two east of the Rockies was going to be necessary and you need to ask yourself if you can make that sacrifice in this stage of life. My other half (no minions besides the fury type yet) is unable to join me here and we have been fortunate enough to make the long distance thing work. I count my self as being extremely lucky every day.

Anyway I'm not experienced nor a 'success" yet. And I have a ways to go. But if I can help to get over the biggest hurdle which was the coveted "first job" PM me here. Maybe I can find time to meet up next time I get home. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a few people paying it forward to me.

Good luck! It's a kick butt journey. Just don't piece it out if you can avoid it. Put your pennies away and then just do all the training as quickly as possible. You'll save yourself time and money!

PS: I have trained with Vital (PPL) and Victoria Flying Club (CPL). Go with VFC if you can make that work. Vital can not do commercial last time I checked, and there are much more experienced people at the club plus I believe they are cheaper with much better AC (though I did have a special bond with FXFN, my favorite ugly duckling). Sean is my go-to and is awesome!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”