$2-3K/mnth to live on a reserve...

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: $2-3K/mnth to live on a reserve...

Post by flyzam »

We are all on the same page when it comes to turbo prop up to widebody pay in Canada.

Something is inherently wrong with the system where that type of pay is given for experienced professionals especially considering the cost if housing, living and education continues to sky rocket and companies continue to try to push wages down.

Probably because the can neither outsource nor automate it.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

flyzam wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm Regardless, looking at your history of moaning about flying both here and on pprune for over 13 years now, I'm not going to be caught up in your downward vortex of depression.

Go take a Xanax and do something productive.
I gotta say too, while I'm flattered you have been reading up on me all these years, and please, disagree all you like, or don't like it, don't read it, I don't care... but I certainly don't make it personal the way you have with your veiled insults.

Airing out about industry news on here is a laugh, and I believe I try to have purpose to what I contribute (usually), sure, sometimes I'm wrong, but I have maybe even managed to help out a few guys from time to time, or give some insight where I can.

I'm secure in my productivity and mental health, thanks...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

flyzam wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:31 pm We are all on the same page when it comes to turbo prop up to widebody pay in Canada.

Something is inherently wrong with the system where that type of pay is given for experienced professionals especially considering the cost if housing, living and education continues to sky rocket and companies continue to try to push wages down.

Probably because the can neither outsource nor automate it.
I'm glad we agree on something, but I don't understand where you draw the line on advocating for better pay?

Is it just for piston singles that guys should work for poverty wages? Or guys forced to live in BFN?

But we should get more for the King Air guys? Or does it need to be a 705 turboprop? Do you have to live in YYZ or YVR?

I think all boats should rise together.

flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyzam »

You're right, consider me chastened and I apologise.

For me 3k is more than a fair wage for a single young person living away from home. As mentioned I'm sure they save more than me each month flying widebody.

They are also considerably less experienced and require higher over sight

As one gets older and lives closer to the majors with a family and commitments more money is needed just to stay afloat.

Ultimately it is up to the individual. I chose those jobs not because I had to but I loved that type of flying and did it for the experience, both personal and professional and not the money. The money was more than enough for me.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Thanks.

"Enough".... I hear you... enough is relative to circumstance and situation... I am fortunate that I always lived within my means thus I made "enough", it doesn't mean I wasn't underpaid though. Same here in this situation.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

At new min wage of $15 for bc and Ontario working at Timmies gives you 3k a month. A nurse moving up there can make 3k a week plus living expenses. Cause they are needed and won't move unless you pay through the nose.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

altiplano wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 pm
What did they pay per month 19 years ago?
Can't remember accurately...I'm thinking that I got $2k/mo, housing (if you could call it that!) included.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

North Shore wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 pm
altiplano wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 pm
What did they pay per month 19 years ago?
Can't remember accurately...I'm thinking that I got $2k/mo, housing (if you could call it that!) included.
That's what I thought...

Pilots getting $2k/month 20 years ago... $2K/month today.

Nurses doing $3K/week!

We gotta get with the times!

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

A "summer" job in the bush is a 24/7 proposition ( I've been there) and should incur wages appropriate. The wages MUST also pay for the whole year ( did that as an AME ) Therefore, $10,000/Mo. would be appropriate for a j-3 to beaver driver, on a 6 month rotation.
Most of the northern work is in some way subsidized so who cares what the wage is, the operator just charges accordingly. ( Nurses or cops don't go up north for $10.00/Hr.)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I made 4k a month on a reserve ten years ago, even then it was on the low end...

From the top to the bottom, we are low in comparison to the rest of the world.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”