Consolidated backcountry locations in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

RickertsRed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Consolidated backcountry locations in Canada

Post by RickertsRed »

Tried searching around and I couldn’t find a one stop shop for a list of backcountry landing destinations much like what you’d find in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, etc.

I watched a bunch of Trent Palmer’s YouTube videos and thought “wow, if it looks that cool down there then up here in the great white north there has to be even better?!?!” For anyone who hasn’t seen his videos, he and his buddies basically land their KitFox and Cubs in the middle of freakin’ nowhere for fun.

So my goal with this thread is for everyone to post some of their backcountry / bush landing locations you’ve visited in Canada. Maybe post some numbers, elevation, pics, coordinates, what you were flying, etc.

Sooo how about it, let’s see’em!
---------- ADS -----------

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Consolidated backcountry locations in Canada

Post by mmartin1872 »

If you are a member of the bcga (bc general aviation association.) They have a good map for BC on their website.

RickertsRed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RickertsRed »

Huh, I’m surprised there isn’t more replies piling up here

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

RickertsRed wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 am Huh, I’m surprised there isn’t more replies piling up here
Honestly, it's because we have so many trees and lakes. I live in Ontario and get my back country fix by flying floats and skis.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

The BCGA has an incredibly active community exchanging information and planning outings for local sand bar landings. And as mentioned before, there is an active and growing list of backcountry airstrips and locations if you become a member of the bcga.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

I like the idea too and when I had the cub on wheels, I was looking around but found nothing. There is a deserted MNR landing strip by my camp that I thought about cleaning up but it is 10 miles to the camp and nothing around so once you got there, the only ones happy to see you would be the mosquitoes. As the others have said, floats is the way to go, for Northern Ontario anyways. I would like to see groups of float guys meeting up somewhere. That would be fun and add the safety factor of a support group with you.

INVERTEDAV8R
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by INVERTEDAV8R »

I really like this idea and have looked around for this information before. Definitely worth looking at BCGA, they’re a great group of pilots.
I’m in Alberta and can’t find anything except for the forestry strips which are hardly “back country”. I’ve driven into the hills and found some great spots and later returned with the airplane. That technique has worked well but is still not the back country I was looking for. I’d be happy to contribute a few of these spots if there was a data base.

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

Few places I’ve been in Quebec. Joncas. Oasis du Gouin. Escapade. Rapid Lake Lodge. I’m in the Yukon now. Lots of neat river spots and older strips.

RickertsRed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RickertsRed »

Alright looks like we’re getting some traction now, keep’em coming

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”