Inhibiting a Flat Engine

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Inhibiting a Flat Engine

Post by Antique Pilot »

I am looking for advice on how to properly inhibit the O470L engine in my Cessna 180 when it is parked for lengthy periods. First off I realize that I should fly it a lot more but lately that hasn’t been practical.

When I park it in the fall for up to 6-7 months I drain the engine oil and put in Inhibiting oil. Then I go and fly it for a half hour or so then park it. On the annual last week compression was low on one cylinder. Burned exhaust valve. On removal of the cylinder pitting was noticed on the steel barrel. Not the end of the world. Just add money and overhaul the cylinder. Only $1700.00.

I would like to be able to totally inhibit the engine when I park it. Suck inhibiting oil into the induction system somehow without getting killed. I was told of a Harvard owner that disconnects the line running to the manifold pressure gauge. Takes that end and puts it into the pail of inhibiting oil while the engine is running and it sucks oil up and totally fogs up the engine.

Another chap suggested removing the bottom spark plugs and spray that Canadian Tire engine storage spray into the cylinder. If you spray it into the top plug the spray won’t coat the top part of the cylinder. Spray all goes down.

Thanks,
AP
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Inhibiting a Flat Engine

Post by Heliian »

dessicant plugs

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Dessicant plugs are good, but you also need to block off the exhaust so that no air gets in.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The lycoming service bulletin on the subject (I forget the number) says "through the spark plug hole, spray the interior of each cylinder with approximately two ounces of the preservative oil mixture using an airless spray gun".

How about WD40? That might work too.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

Goodmorning AP

Besides a fresh oil change I've been spraying the cyls through all the spark plug holes and pulling the prop through and doing it again in an attempt to cover all the wall areas!I used a Canadian Tire engine fogging spray....I forget the name!

It's difficult to get the little straw into the holes because it's too short and I had one blast off into the cyl......that created a fishing expedition but I got it with difficulty.......I found longer straws on Amazon and they work much better!

I wonder if cold storage in a hangar with a dirt/gravel floor has a negative affect!

Does my suggestion stop the corrosion ....who knows....one thing that will stop your corrosion issues for sure would be the sale of your aircraft to me!😇

Eater

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”