Picking up an IFR clearance at Qikiqtarjuaq

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Picking up an IFR clearance at Qikiqtarjuaq

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Hi,

Planning a flight to Europe in my 185 from the US. How can we pick up an IFR clearance if we are on the ground at Qikiqtarjuaq? Is it possible to do it by satphone or do we need to use HF?

Thanks in advance,

David
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Picking up an IFR clearance at Qikiqtarjuaq

Post by Cessna 180 »

I don't have a Canada flight supplement handy, but you can call the relevant Center (I believe it's Edmonton) by satphone (their non toll free numbers and satphone short codes are listed).

Just an FYI, you won't be able to receive a clearance at YVM since it's uncontrolled airspace below FL230. Standard altimeter settings apply (29.92) after departure from the airport at all flight levels (FL000-unl). True track applies instead of magnetic track. You should be able to receive your oceanic clearance from Gander Radio by VHF, if not, by HF or by satphone.

QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Thanks!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It looks like you have a lot more work to do on the planning. I don't think there's even any 100LL at CYVM - you'd have to have it shipped in. What's wrong with CYFB BGSF, like everyone else? If you don't have the range, fit ferry tanks. Cheaper and safer than shipping fuel. That route is also exempt from the HF requirement.

Either way, you won't need or get an oceanic clearance because you'll never enter Gander Oceanic airspace. You'll go directly from Canadian domestic to Nuuk FIR. If you insist on CYVM, get your clearance through the CARS there if it's open or Quebec Radio (used to be Arctic Radio) on the phone number listed in the CFS. You do have the CFS, right? Then the first bit of controlled airspace at any altitude reachable by a 185 is 100nm from Sonderstrom. See charts LO5 or LO9 or use Foreflight.

If you fly CYFB CYVM, the first 40nm from YFB is controlled, and you'll get clearance from the tower, as you'd expect.

Also note CAR602.39(c) - 10% extra fuel for a flight leaving Canadian airspace over the high seas.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”