Ontario Road Trip

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ontario Road Trip

Post by Shinyjetsyndrome »

I have a really dumb question... I’m pretty doubtful, but do any chief pilots work on weekends? I’ve finally got a string of days off and can make a mini road trip work. One of those days is on the weekend unfortunately, but I’m curious if I could make use of that day or not. Hoping to visit a couple places in Northern Ontario and Manitoba.

Also, has anyone ever gotten a flying/ramp job at the end of the summer? I realize that I’ve pretty much missed the boat with the hiring season, but hopefully I can at least put a face to my resume after months of sending resumes via email to no avail. I wish the timing worked out better, but it is what it is. I’ll try again next spring if I have no luck.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Ontario Road Trip

Post by digits_ »

One of the few advantages of being a chief pilot in a mid size company, is that you can usually take the weekends off.
At small operators (family run, few airplanes) the chief pilot will most likely operate like any other employee. I doubt anyone will just be sitting in an office on saturday though. They would be either off or out flying.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Shinyjetsyndrome »

digits_ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:21 pm One of the few advantages of being a chief pilot in a mid size company, is that you can usually take the weekends off.
At small operators (family run, few airplanes) the chief pilot will most likely operate like any other employee. I doubt anyone will just be sitting in an office on saturday though. They would be either off or out flying.
That's what I suspected. Thanks digits.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

If you are talking about float companies. Everybody works the weekend. Its the busiest part of the week. Chief Pilots and owners will all be around. The season is winding down however. The chance of getting work this season is pretty much nil. You could however get a foot in the door for next season?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Seems to me northstar is advertising for ground personal. It's hard work and pickle lake is about 200 km up the asshole of the world but unless you wimp out and work hard you will see a pilot seat. If you can take some pain you will come out the other side with an ATP in a cpl years.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”