Beaver, Otter and others Nordsman ect....

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

fonzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beaver, Otter and others Nordsman ect....

Post by fonzy »

42 years old , been playing with bikes and cars my whole life , spent my career in the auto sector , light mechanic, service manager , sales manager , currently working for a auto auction . Wanting to become a AME for all the wrong reasons , i dont want to work for a major airline , not looking to make big bucks . Looking to hopefully work during summers , i like long hours , and not worried about being far from home or up north , currently enrolled in the ICS course and have taken basic classes thru our Aviation learning centre . Is it possible once im done to gain employment over the summers to work on vintage aircraft like the ones listed? dont mind grunt work either . Thanks for your time
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Beaver, Otter and others Nordsman ect....

Post by Heliian »

It's going to be a tough market with everything shut down.

It's an entry level, low paying career start. You'll need a small set of tools and a phone to start calling every shop pitching yourself. Moving to the location will be required.

So many mosquitos, so many.... Except in the winter, then you freeze your hands off.

It's cool and all working on aeroplanes of the bush but it's not easy if you want to actually start a career.

However, situations such as yourself do arise from time to time.

Best of luck :drinkers:

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Rough time to get into the business, especially with many smaller operations probably weighing their options about staying closed versus opening for the season...

Might be "easier" to go looking at AMOs that focus or are more specialized on the types mentioned. Depends on where you live, and if you're willing to move of course.

On the West Coast, there are a number of outfits that work primarily on the bush types.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

If we had a tourist season ...
Try your luck with the fly-in fishing camps lodges etc ..
great way to break in .. When the airplane is flying ..
there will always be outboard motors & stuff to fix around the camp..
when the aircraft is back - u can help the mech on the aircraft - always something broken ..
or maybe be swamper on the aircraft .. pilot will always value a helper rolling barrels in / out if the aircraft.
- good way to learn about aircraft & the bush leagues .. no licence required !
gets ur foot in the door .. eventually this job leads to other opportunities ..

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”