Red Chris Mine fly in

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Red Chris Mine fly in

Post by Pacqing »

Recently reading about the Red Chris Mine in Northern B.C and see they fly in to Dease Lake airport then drive to the mine site. Does anyone have info on who does this flying and what machines they use. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Major Cong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Red Chris Mine fly in

Post by Major Cong »

I understand Central Mountain Air do some of it.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Thanks, I was thinking they probably did. With up to 500 workers doing a 2 week rotation I'd imagine its a busy charter, wondering if the Dease airport can take a -8 or Dornier?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

This charter has been going on for quite some time now. Prior to CMA operating it, Pasco did it with both Saabs and 1900s and before that it was Northern Thunderbird. I really enjoyed doing them during my time at Pasco. Not sure how CMA is doing it, but we would usually run two planes a day stopping at a few different airports before heading to Dease - dropping off and picking up then heading back.

If I recall correctly, the runway is paved and quite long, but it's not in the greatest condition. Also winter maintenance was a bit of an issue as it was previously plowed by the department of highways and it was a low priority for them. Like a lot of places in BC, it was a very challenging day when the weather was crappy but, especially when the weather was nice, some of the most beautiful scenery to fly over.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

CMA uses a mix of B1900's & Dash8 Aircraft. Common stops on the milk run include YKA, YLW, YWL, YXS & YYD. It's a blast flying into YDL. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen is north of YYD, I've even been lucky enough to overnight in YDL :D

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Thanks for the replies, I got into aviation instead of going underground like a lot of my friends but still dabble in penny gold stocks and have been reading about Red Chris for quite a while. I inquired as my Son may be going there to work, thanks again for the info.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”