Pay for float time or buy a share to build time on land?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pay for float time or buy a share to build time on land?

Post by sendymcsendyface »

Posted this over in the employment forum, but figured I'd find more specific advice here. I'm a 90hr PPL building time towards my CPL (Should be done CPL+Group 1 by next spring). I don't really have any desire to go to the airlines, and would prefer to stick with seasonal bush flying, and eventually firefighting. I've saved up enough to get around 50hrs float time (dual only) this spring, but just got offered a share in a friend's Champ for a very good price. Now I am considering only doing 25hrs on floats, and buying into the Champ to build a bunch of cheap PIC hours. I figure it will be several years before I manage to find work, and could probably get 100+ hours on the Champ in that time. It is experimental, and my buddy is the builder so operating costs are super low. What would be the better option to increase my chances of getting hired in a few years? 200ish TT with 50hrs dual floats, or 300+TT with 100+ tailwheel PIC? Will it make a difference?
Thanks guys.
---------- ADS -----------

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Pay for float time or buy a share to build time on land?

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Don't take my word for it - I'm basically in the same position as you, but stil pre-PPL. I would posit that owning a plane, or a share in one, will be better in the long run, regardless of all other factors. I'm sure others will chime in.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Does the champ have floats ?

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

fish4life wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:01 am Does the champ have floats ?
That's an excellent point. You may actually be able to put floats on the Champ and still come out ahead. I have no idea what would be involved with that though.

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am
fish4life wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:01 am Does the champ have floats ?
That's an excellent point. You may actually be able to put floats on the Champ and still come out ahead. I have no idea what would be involved with that though.
No, it doesn't have floats, although I wish it did. Putting them on is also not really an option.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Having time in both, I'd say the float time will make you more marketable in the beginning.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Floats would be more valuable.

I'd say 50 hours of floats pic would be worth more than 100 hours of wheels pic, assuming you manage to get your ATPL night requirements somehow.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

Buy a floatplane and fly it to hell and back, will be your doors to getting a bush job. Share it with others and learn,learn and learn.
Float flying is the best!

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

digits_ wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:04 pm Floats would be more valuable.

I'd say 50 hours of floats pic would be worth more than 100 hours of wheels pic, assuming you manage to get your ATPL night requirements somehow.
Only way I can get float time is dual at the moment, so it would be 50hrs float dual vs 100hours wheels pic

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Civic wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:26 pm Buy a floatplane and fly it to hell and back, will be your doors to getting a bush job. Share it with others and learn,learn and learn.
Float flying is the best!
I wish, need to find some rich family to adopt me. Definitely can't afford the operating costs of a floatplane.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

sendymcsendyface wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:37 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:04 pm Floats would be more valuable.

Only way I can get float time is dual at the moment, so it would be 50hrs float dual vs 100hours wheels pic
Still floats. Ideally that 50 hours dual will be with a competent pilot with significant commercial experience who can show you the ins and outs of float flying, and when you get a shot to show a chief pilot your flying skill, that dual time will be invaluable.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If you can make it work, invest in even a modest floatplane. The freedom to build experience will be a wonderful experience, and give you opportunity which would be impossible with renting. It's a big responsibility, but so is flying away from airports. You must learn a much broader discipline, which is best done in your own plane, no matter how modest.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

If you wanna fly floats.. that time is the ticket.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

So you need about 60 hrs time building before you commercial. How much is the champ? figure 4-5 gph at cruise so 20l at 1.80 36$/hr, figure 50$/hr for reserves maybe 3000 for insurance and 75/month for parking. so for 100 hrs figure 3600 gas/5000 reserves/3000insurance/800 parking, so around 12k for 100 hrs. Save about 8k on your time building, how much float time can you get with that?

Put some boards on it for the winter and go ice fishing, or start flying to places where you may look for a job. Trust me you will leave a better impression showing up in a Champ than some monkey sending an email/indeed/linkedin ......CV. The CP/HR/Owner will put a face to a resume, and since you will have been there before more likely to get the job. I worked at the end of a 7 hr drive to BF nowhere. 1st trip got you consideration, second trip normally got you in the door.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:04 pm 1st trip got you consideration, second trip normally got you in the door.
Could you expound upon that?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

For my experience employers like things to be easy. They're usually not looking to prolong a process, including hiring. So, if an adequately qualified pilot is standing in front of them, and the prospects seem positive, they are more likely to say yes, rather than pick from a list of written applications. Every flying job I have had has been either because I was present/available (in person) at the time the work needed to be done, or I was called based upon my experience. I have never send out resumes. I found the effort to meet potential employers in person was a better first step.

If you want to work in aviation, a good step forward is to be where the planes, and the work are happening. If you own an airplane, no matter how modest, you can fly there. If you have flown yourself to the place you'd like to work, you've proven a number of basic things, you can fly, and you can find the place!

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:04 pm So you need about 60 hrs time building before you commercial. How much is the champ? figure 4-5 gph at cruise so 20l at 1.80 36$/hr, figure 50$/hr for reserves maybe 3000 for insurance and 75/month for parking. so for 100 hrs figure 3600 gas/5000 reserves/3000insurance/800 parking, so around 12k for 100 hrs. Save about 8k on your time building, how much float time can you get with that?

Put some boards on it for the winter and go ice fishing, or start flying to places where you may look for a job. Trust me you will leave a better impression showing up in a Champ than some monkey sending an email/indeed/linkedin ......CV. The CP/HR/Owner will put a face to a resume, and since you will have been there before more likely to get the job. I worked at the end of a 7 hr drive to BF nowhere. 1st trip got you consideration, second trip normally got you in the door.
I do like the idea of doing my road trip in the Champ, instead of driving. Definitely a good way to demonstrate your airmanship. I'm definitely leaning towards buying into the Champ.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

If your aim is a seasonal float gig, showing up with no float hours regardless whether you flew yourself up there in the champ will likely mean being bypassed by the other person who also made the trip up there (by car, by air, whatever. I got a job each road trip I've made and I drove...) who had some float time. Also don't underestimate the challenge of being able to fly into a lot of these places. Unless you're specifically targeting towns that have airports, you're going to miss all of the lodges and other operators who are based on lakes out in the boonies. My $0.02 - best of luck on your journey.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Spend the money on the float dual, if you have a few bucks to spare then maybe just buy some time with your buddy in his champ.

The floats will get you in the bush, wheels take you to airports.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”