Bear Spray STC

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Bear Spray STC

Post by Lost Lake »

Years ago we got an STC to carry bear spray in the floats at another carrier. Any suggestions as to how or where to get one?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Bear Spray STC

Post by digits_ »

Why would you need an STC for that? The companies where I've been able to carry pepper spray or bear spray was always linked to the dangerous good chapters of the ops manual.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

It is uncommon to issue an STC for a payload where no modification to the aircraft is required, is there more to this than the obvious?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

All good if you want to carry a few canisters in the float compartment. I don’t have a TC reference as none exist... if Transport doesn’t have a rule about it you are technically good to go.

Regards,

TPC

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:16 pm All good if you want to carry a few canisters in the float compartment. I don’t have a TC reference as none exist... if Transport doesn’t have a rule about it you are technically good to go.

Regards,

TPC
It is my understanding that you can’t carry them in the float compartments without dangerous goods in your OC. Realistically, many just fire em in there and not worry too much about it but if you’re somewhere that that transport likes to show it’s face and ramp you then you might get dinged. For the op I think all you need to do to be on the up and up is look into whether or not you can carry dangerous goods and if not what’s required to get that authorization.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

No STC required but as a certificate holder you may however require a Special Authority - SA (formerly known as an Ops Spec) to carry and handle DG products.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I've carried bear spray as a passenger. Generally the attitude is "we don't ask, and you don't tell". Of course, I'm not talking about carrying entire cases of it, but nobody's ever been concerned about the legality of a couple of cans.

I think pressurized fuel canisters and perhaps even liquid fuel would also be classified as dangerous, but nobody ever asks.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:01 pm I've carried bear spray as a passenger. Generally the attitude is "we don't ask, and you don't tell". Of course, I'm not talking about carrying entire cases of it, but nobody's ever been concerned about the legality of a couple of cans.
That's a big no no. If one of those cans goes off, it can take the whole plane down. I've had clumsy pax hit a fire extinguisher turning the plane in a snow globe. I can't even imagine how bad a bear spray can would have been.

I'm less worried about illegal fire arms or fuel cannisters in the cabin.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:46 pm
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:01 pm I've carried bear spray as a passenger. Generally the attitude is "we don't ask, and you don't tell". Of course, I'm not talking about carrying entire cases of it, but nobody's ever been concerned about the legality of a couple of cans.
That's a big no no. If one of those cans goes off, it can take the whole plane down. I've had clumsy pax hit a fire extinguisher turning the plane in a snow globe. I can't even imagine how bad a bear spray can would have been.

I won’t take bear spray in a cabin for that reason, float compartment every time.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

scdriver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 pm

I won’t take bear spray in a cabin for that reason, float compartment every time.
Well let's at least be somewhat fair to me, here. They're ziptied until we make camp the first night - basically impossible to set off accidentally. I'm afraid to even carry bear spray in a car, for the same reasons. If that thing goes off in a car, I'll be lucky to survive. So I do at least transport it responsibly. I just find it odd that everyone I've ever asked as a passenger seems none too concerned about it, compared to what appears to be the prevailing opinion on this board.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:00 pm
scdriver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Well let's at least be somewhat fair to me, here. They're ziptied until we make camp the first night - basically impossible to set off accidentally. I'm afraid to even carry bear spray in a car, for the same reasons. If that thing goes off in a car, I'll be lucky to survive. So I do at least transport it responsibly. I just find it odd that everyone I've ever asked as a passenger seems none too concerned about it, compared to what appears to be the prevailing opinion on this board.
I think the prevailing opinion simply comes from the fact that a) it’s not legal to carry bear spray in the cabin and b) it’s a shitty idea. Like I said before there’s a difference between cans in the cabin vs in the float compartments. As an added bonus, if you get caught with bear spray (dangerous goods) where it shouldn’t be when you’re not supposed to be carrying it, it can be a hefty fine.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I think pressurized fuel canisters and perhaps even liquid fuel would also be classified as dangerous, but nobody ever asks.
If I found out that you knew that you shouldn’t carry bear spray in the cabin, did any ways, and didn’t tell me, I’d drop you off at your destination and wouldn’t pick you up.

I’ve carried lots of DG. They scare me.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I did some RCMP charters when they were up on the pipeline protests in BC, and there was paperwork required for them to carry what they call "OC". I think it was just the TDG paperwork, SDS, and WHMIS. There was something about them not carrying opened canisters, but I don't remember why exactly.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

I used to occasionally carry police with pepper spray... these were the restrictions that allowed us to do so...
This Equivalency Certificate authorizes ****, to handle, offer
for transport or transport, by aircraft operated under Part VII of the Canadian Aviation
Regulations, dangerous goods that are:
• UN1950, AEROSOLS, flammable, containing substances in Class 6.1, Packing Group
II, Class 2.1(6.1), or
• UN1950, AEROSOLS, non-flammable, containing substances in Class 6.1, Packing
Group II, Class 2.2(6.1),
in a manner that does not comply with paragraphs 12.1(1)(c), 12.1(1)(d), and 12.1(1)(e)
of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations as well as columns 10, 11, 12,
and 13 in Table 3 1 of Chapter 2 of Parts 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 of the Technical Instructions
for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, as incorporated by reference in
subsection 12.1(2) and of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations, under
the following conditions if:
(a) the person offering the dangerous goods for transport notifies the air operator of the
presence of the dangerous goods;
(b) the means of containment containing the dangerous goods is secured on the
aircraft;
(c) when the dangerous goods are being transported in the cabin of the aircraft, they are
secured in a location not easily accessible to the passengers;
(d) the pilot of the aircraft is notified of the presence of the dangerous goods when he is
not involved in the handling of the dangerous goods;
(e) when making connecting flights, either using scheduled flights or charter flights, with
the same airline, the person notifies the new crew members of the presence of the
dangerous goods;
(f) when making connecting flights, either using scheduled flights or charter flights, with
a different airline, the person offers for transport the dangerous goods to the new airline;
(g) a paper or electronic copy of this Equivalency Certificate accompanies the
dangerous goods;
(h) the person offering the dangerous goods for transport ensures that:
(i) the quantity of dangerous goods per aerosol container is less than or equal to
400 ml,
(ii) the aerosol container is in compliance with section 5.11 of the Transportation
of Dangerous Goods Regulations and has two means of protection against
actuation,
(iii) the aerosol container is placed in an outer means of containment that is
clearly marked with “UN1950 - Pepper Spray” and is designed, constructed,
filled, closed, secured, and maintained so that under normal condition of
transport, including handling, there will be no accidental release of dangerous
goods that could endanger public safety,
(iv) the means of containment containing the aerosol container is transported in a
baggage compartment that is separate from the passenger cabin
, or an area of
the aircraft, approved by Transport Canada for transporting cargo, outside the
aircraft cabin to prevent the dangerous goods from entering the air supply of the
cabin of the aircraft, and
(v) if condition (h)(iv) of this certificate is not possible, the means of containment
containing the aerosol container may be transported in the cabin of an aircraft,
and the passengers are notified of its location.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

scdriver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:53 pm
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:00 pm Well let's at least be somewhat fair to me, here. They're ziptied until we make camp the first night - basically impossible to set off accidentally. I'm afraid to even carry bear spray in a car, for the same reasons. If that thing goes off in a car, I'll be lucky to survive. So I do at least transport it responsibly. I just find it odd that everyone I've ever asked as a passenger seems none too concerned about it, compared to what appears to be the prevailing opinion on this board.
I think the prevailing opinion simply comes from the fact that a) it’s not legal to carry bear spray in the cabin and b) it’s a shitty idea. Like I said before there’s a difference between cans in the cabin vs in the float compartments. As an added bonus, if you get caught with bear spray (dangerous goods) where it shouldn’t be when you’re not supposed to be carrying it, it can be a hefty fine.
Oh, I understand it's illegal, and I can hazard a guess as to what would happen if it went off in the cabin. I've been genuinely surprised that the pilots who've flown me in don't think much of it though, in spite of the illegality and idiocy of it. I just haven't seen people concerned with it, not in my experience.

But - next time, I'll ask about putting it in the floats - nobody's ever mentioned it to me. I too would me more comfortable with that arrangement.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Thanks everyone. I guess STC was the wrong word. Equivalent certificate is better. Think I got my answer.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I don't let cops with loaded guns or pepper spray in the back of my airplane. Just like the cops don't allow people with loaded guns and pepper spray in the back of their car. If they unloaded their weapon and put the magazine in a pocket, I'm happy. Pepper spray stays behind though.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:27 am
scdriver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:53 pm
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:00 pm Well let's at least be somewhat fair to me, here. They're ziptied until we make camp the first night - basically impossible to set off accidentally. I'm afraid to even carry bear spray in a car, for the same reasons. If that thing goes off in a car, I'll be lucky to survive. So I do at least transport it responsibly. I just find it odd that everyone I've ever asked as a passenger seems none too concerned about it, compared to what appears to be the prevailing opinion on this board.
Oh, I understand it's illegal, and I can hazard a guess as to what would happen if it went off in the cabin. I've been genuinely surprised that the pilots who've flown me in don't think much of it though, in spite of the illegality and idiocy of it. I just haven't seen people concerned with it, not in my experience.

But - next time, I'll ask about putting it in the floats - nobody's ever mentioned it to me. I too would me more comfortable with that arrangement.
That's fair, lots of guys don't give two shits about that kinda thing - especially if you haven't yourself or known someone who's been busted by tc for carrying dg with no authorization. Like I said before, can be a hefty fine. Float compartment every time.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”