Lyle Gill

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

New Antique Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Lyle Gill

Post by New Antique Pilot »

I was informed today that Lyle Gill passed away this morning. He had been living in Emo Ontario for many years. I do not have any other information. Lyle was a well known, well respected all around gentleman and a hell of a pilot. He flew all the usual bush airplanes in NW Ontario, northern Manitoba and other places that I may not know about. I went for a ride in Norseman DRD with Lyle out of Red Lake in about 1978. Lyle says to me that he would let me fly it but it was so nose heavy that he didn’t dare let me try. A very wise decision.

New Antique Pilot
---------- ADS -----------

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Lyle Gill

Post by NWONT »

Very sorry to hear that. I've known Lyle since the early 70's. I agree, one helluva pilot!!!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

What can I say about Lyle- best friend, best man at my wedding and my mentor. I had 2 of those, Jimmy Cousineau and Lyle.

I first met Lyle in '67 as a green pilot on the docks of OCA Red Lake. I got kicked out of Kenora and Ball Lake, he said that was the best thing to happen to me. He kicked my ass and moulded me. Such mentoring is truly absent today. I worked with him at OCA for may years and at Aero Trades after that. Many gallons of rum were consumed over the years.

Anyone who flew in NWO during the 60's to 80's new Lyle or of him. He was a hard worker, got the job done and was well respected. What more could a person achieve.

Rest easy Lyle.

Last edited by valleyboy on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
RoverL60
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RoverL60 »

Excellent post Valleyboy. Sorry to hear about your best friend. May Lyle Rest In Peace soaring above.

New Antique Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by New Antique Pilot »

valleyboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:36 am What can I say about Lyle- best friend, best man at my wedding and my mentor. I had 2 of those, Jimmy Cousineau and Lyle.

I first met Lyle in '67 as a green pilot on the docks of OCA Red Lake. I got kicked out of Kenora and Ball Lake, he said that was the best thing to happen to me. He kicked my ass and moulded me. Such mentoring is truly absent today. I worked with him at OCA for may years and at Aero Trades after that. Many gallons of rum were consumed over the years.

Anyone who flew in NWO during the 60's to 80's new Lyle or of him. He was a hard worker, got the job done and was well respected. What more could a person achieve.

Rest easy Lyle.
VB,

Very nice classy tribute. Brought a tear to my eye.

NAP

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”