2 by 4’s inside a 180

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

2 by 4’s inside a 180

Post by tazin river »

Morning Cessna 180 drivers

Have you ever loaded 2 by 4 eight foot length inside the plane? Don’t want to fly external load

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: 2 by 4’s inside a 180

Post by Squaretail »

I think it can be done, though you probably won’t get many in. Best if you can remove passenger seat, rear seat and rear bulkhead. While things can be slid through the passenger window if it opens, easier if you can remove door. Once in, and slid as much forward to lie just shy of right pedals (stowed if possible) replace bulkhead. Then door. I’m going to say six or nine can be safely strapped to seat rails. Measure for length before attempting, I can’t remember if it was a 180 or 185 we did that on and I think the 185 is slightly longer.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Can be done removing the rear bulkhead, but just as a note, is it something you can do with metal studs? Could pack about 5-6x more if so before you bulk out.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Probably cheaper nowadays with metal ones, too!
IIRC, I took the passenger door off, the pax seat out, and the rear seats out of a 185, and an 8'er would just fit in. Couple of brownline clips, and a piece or two of rope/herc strap, and you're good to go!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Thanks folks

I have 8 of those that I want to fly to our camp. I’ll remove the bulkhead and back seat this afternoon.
Measurements suggest it can be done. Will let you know

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Are you on floats? Why don't you want to carry them externally? Eight 2 x 4's are an easy and safe external load on floats.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Never done the external load thing...but was considering it if I could not load everything inside first before....in the end I was able to load all the 2 by 4's yesterday without having to either remove the door or the passenger seat...

Thanks folks...someday I'll have to get acquainted with flying small external loads...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

someday I'll have to get acquainted with flying small external loads...
Before someday, TC will be enforcing the rules requiring an STC for any external load on a fixed wing....

(hint to C180/185 floatplane owners, you should all go in together to obtain an STC for useful loads, it'll make the costs seem more reasonable...)

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

yes they will fit. But easiest with front and back seats out and door off but they will go in with the door on but will take two people to load them. Make sure they are secured well so they can't get at your rudder peddle and can basically stack them up to where they don't interfere with controls.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

ah, see you've already done it!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”